Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever ridden Pocono East? I'm doing a NYSB day there July 14. It'll be my first time there, so any helpful hints (gas, tires pressures, lunch, corner tricks) are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Joe Grant
NYC, NY
'99 SS900

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Pocono East (JAGrantJr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JAGrantJr »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anybody ever ridden Pocono East? I'm doing a NYSB day there July 14. It'll be my first time there, so any helpful hints (gas, tires pressures, lunch, corner tricks) are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Joe Grant
NYC, NY
'99 SS900</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll be there on the 14th. It's extremely bumpy in some spots. Take your time and get your points down. It's a small track but you need to respect it.

Here's a link to a recent vid I made.

Just cruisin

http://www.sportbikerider.us/i...77211

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe, what tires are you running? Typical 30F/28R for Michelins and I think F32/R32 for Pirelli's. Ask the tire guys or organizers. Should be the same pressures you ran at NHIS. (did you go back for 2nds yet?)

Also ask a coach to lead you around a bit to learn the lines. Check out the track layout before you go. That should help put things together.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (Kevin313)

Michelin Pilot Roads. Not super sporty, but then again, neither am I.

Thanks for the 411. Watching Turbo's video posted above was actually really informative. Not terribly different from NHIS, but less elevation changes.

And no, haven't been back but have signed up for the Desmo day. That'll make three track days this summer. Not too shabby.

There's a halacious Ducati versus Japan argument going on over NYC's craigslist. Pretty funny!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (JAGrantJr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JAGrantJr »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There's a halacious Ducati versus Japan argument going on over NYC's craigslist. Pretty funny!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could you post the link??

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The track is 1.3 miles in length with 13 turns. It has gotten a bit bumpy in a few patches since last year... not that bad though. There is electrical power in places, but they sometimes charge $25.00 per hook-up (you can usually 'share' with someone to split the charge).

There is a picture on the Pocono website - it is pretty good for a general reference. Not really any elevation changes except for a tiny drop on the left-hander at the end of the back straight & expect some dirt right there if there was any recent rain... Stay to the far right going down that back straight, when the squids are death braking to make the left hander, you can easily pass them on the exit. Same approach works on the 180 degree 'bus stop'. Be careful with the slight decreasing-radius turn that is the entrance to the front straight - lots of people crash when the run out of pavement...

Get to know everyone in your group so you know who to avoid... The location of Pocono relative to Metro NYC means that it is the closest place for people to invade for a track day.... expect inexperienced people.... The best question I once heard going through tech was "do I need to tape up my neon light as well?". Yes, Pocono can be a scary place for that reason.

It can get really hot & humid and there is no shade, so bring your own... there is a place to eat at the track but I have never been there so I can't comment about quality.

Have fun & let us know how it goes...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JAGrantJr »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Michelin Pilot Roads. Not super sporty, but then again, neither am I.

Thanks for the 411. Watching Turbo's video posted above was actually really informative. Not terribly different from NHIS, but less elevation changes.

And no, haven't been back but have signed up for the Desmo day. That'll make three track days this summer. Not too shabby.

There's a halacious Ducati versus Japan argument going on over NYC's craigslist. Pretty funny!</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JAGrantJr »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Michelin Pilot Roads. Not super sporty, but then again, neither am I.

There's a halacious Ducati versus Japan argument going on over NYC's craigslist. Pretty funny!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pocono has more run-off area (if you don't mind running through high grass, mud, ditchs) than Loudon!!

I run Loudon about 6 times a year and Poc about 4.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Pocono East (JAGrantJr)

Pocono is a fairly physically demanding track. It is small and there aren't many places to "take a rest", unlike Summit Point. I have been to Pocono many times and have learned it fairly well. The only place I really notice ripples is at the entrance to the "Bus stop". This is a good track to have your suspension dialed in correctly.

It is a track, you'll have fun!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Martin, I think I breathe harder at NHIS (Loudon) than Pocono East. Though as I try to replay it in my head I think Pocono East is busier. Maybe it's because NHIS was my first event for the year and it was uncharacterictically hot in May. (same BCM event Joe attended)

BTW ... by 'decreasing radius' I think Hank's refering to the double apex left before pit out. Turn in late, keep it tight and look waaaay down the track. It might be a bit off camber too if you run wide.

Have fun and keep the rubber side down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts