Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1995 916 on December 18. I am also new to this forum.
I traded my 2004 CBR1000RR in on this 1995 916 for several reasons that I won't get into, but I definitely do not regret the trade. My question(s) is what 916 do I exactly have? It has a mono tail and an Ohlins rear & stabilizer (I have read mixed comments about a stabilizer being stock equip. and some say it is not stock). Is this a SP? or Strata? or just 916? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JTB

Modified by jtbshaw at 7:33 PM 12/29/2004

Modified by jtbshaw at 8:10 PM 12/29/2004

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Please help me identify my 916 (jtbshaw)

It would be cool if you can post a picture.

Or... email the pic to me and I'll post it for you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Please help me identify my 916 (Mental998)

I tried uploading them, didn't work. Tried to send them to you through IM, didn't work. How about your email, I can send them to you that way.

JTB

Modified by jtbshaw at 8:02 PM 12/29/2004

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can e-mail me pics and I can post them on one of my webservers and link it into this tread.

AFAIK 916's (other than the really tricked factory options) did not have Ohlin's rears nor Ohlins steering stabs... but I'll leave that determination to those that *really* know because I sure don't!

For some reason I thought the 998 was the first year that Ohlins shock came on all models. Does it also have an Ohlins fork? Of course pics will help out.. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (Mental998)

It looks like a stock damper from what I can see. But, I don't know enough Duc history to help you out.

You said you were getting it painted...paint the green the same as the red and call it a day.

Nice clean bike.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (Mental998)

A fairly stock looking '95 BP.
Aftermarket respray (looks good tho
), aftermarket refit Ohlins rearshock & refit mono tail

The '95 SP, had a mono tail, braided brake lines, Ohlins units FRONT & REAR & a 955cc motor.

The motor number should read something like ZDM916^#*00####* for a strada or BP or ZDM916SP*00####* for the SP models.
The SP models don't show the actual motor capacity on the cases.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (DaDukeofOz)

It looks awsome on the RED side, but once the green side show up I was like

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah well....
I was just about to post those pics but Menta beat me to the punch!! Thx man!! :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Just curious... how can you tell it was once a Biposto or is that what you meant? Is it because of the different sub-frame color? Just curious. Yeah.. looks clean but the previous owner's color scheme seems a bit baffling to me but then again I'm sort of a purist in that I have a hard time making mods because then it's a little less than the way Ducati shipped it (not that it's stopped me but it's certainly slowed me down - my Japanese bikes were modded like mad (trimmed, cut, whatever.. they were a dime-a-dozen to me).

Have you ridding it much yet?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Please help me identify my 916 (jtbshaw)

It appears to have a stock steering damper, forks, rotors, single pin calipers, and aluminum mono-posto subframe. As much as I know, all '95's were mono's as the biposto version had not come out for the 916 series yet. This was the last of the big computers except for the later "SPS" versions. Only 2 series were made in '95, the SP or Strada (street). With the Strada, some came with a Showa rear shock and some made it with the Ohlins rear, basically what was most easily available, it was the luck of the draw.

It was the first full year of production for the 916 and the last of the hand built Ducati's. They were selling every one they could make........

Mine is also a '95, engine # 24** something, with SP con-rods (lighter - stronger) but NOT an SP motor otherwise..... YMMV

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: (Holeshot)

Holeshot, TK,

The info that i've got here at home would indicate that the Bip. (BP) started production in '95.
This actually gives us three bikes for the '95 production period.:
916 Bip. (Strada) 916cc, showa front & rear, standard yada, yada, yada
916 Senna (mono) 916cc, Showa front & rear, all other standard yada & special panels
916 SP (Race) 955cc, Ohlins front & rear, trick bits, braded lines, etc

If you wnat to reference anything that I'm basing this on, get a copy of "The Ducati Story" by Ian Falloon, published by PSL.

I think that the tricolour panels look realy good ... but that's just me

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaDukeofOz »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This actually gives us three bikes for the '95 production period.:
916 Bip. (Strada) 916cc, showa front & rear, standard yada, yada, yada
916 Senna (mono) 916cc, Showa front & rear, all other standard yada & special panels
916 SP (Race) 955cc, Ohlins front & rear, trick bits, braded lines, et

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well almost correct. All 916 sp exept for some in 1996 were 916:s. It was only a few 955:s produced (i think about 50) in 1996. I think they were called 916SPA (sport production america). They should have engine numbers like ZDM955.....

Jocke.............

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the usa models were different to what we got - the sp chassis'd std engined bikes, that sort of thing. which is what a senna was with different paint. that one has std discs and a 45mm exhaust, but alloy mono subframe. what sort of ecu does it have? if it's a p8 it would be a '94, as all the '94 models we got were single seat p8 ecu. the '95 were all bipostos and had the 16m ecu.

the engine numbers we got were zdm916w4*xxxxxx for all 916, including sp. the sp usually had a green dot on top of the cases on the lh behind the vertical cylinder. i think the usa got different engine number prefixes anyway, apart from the 955 sp, which had zdm955w4*xxxxxx.

the best way to find out is to contact dna or ducati italy with the vin and engine numbers and ask them.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Please help me identify my 916 (TK)

My '95 came from the factory with an Ohlins rear shock. Ducati model variations are discussed on their website:
<A HREF="http://www.ducati.com/bikes/techcafe.jhtml?artID=21&detail=article&part=technical&value=technical
" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ducati.com/bikes/te...cal
</A>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Color

As to the paint job, I think the Italian flag thing would be cool, but from the photos that were posted, I don't think they used the right green - that looks like Kawasaki green, vice Italian green, which is deeper and more blue, less yellow.

Plus, looking at the bike from the front, they got the colors reversed: it should be green, white, red, not the other way around.

Just my

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Color (spezjag)

The green is too bright for my taste as well. It is closer to Kaw green than Italian green, of course the flash doesn't help either. I haven't decided as to which color I am going to spray but it will be a solid.

You guys have been great with the info. I have a couple of Ian's books on the way so that I can study the history. Thanks, again, for all of the info.

Also, toss out your thoughts on a paint color. I am considering Ducati red (of course), the matrix green, or black. I also have this thought to maybe go all white with 5 spoke wheels with either white centers/polished lips or just polished. Toss out some ideas. I am all ears.

JTB

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Color (jtbshaw)

Leave the white stripe and paint the other side red to match

1 - 20 of 36 Posts