Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:baOk I finally paid my dues after several track days and after an upgrade from a 99 900 SS to a 04 749 I have finally gone down. I was at louden turn 12 and I, “tucked the front end”, so I'm told to be honest I remember not a thing, zero! The bike is fine for the most part I however am not! 6 broken ribs and a shattered collar bone, (4 places) that has required surgery, ( plates screws ect) and about 10 weeks recovery not to mention my bell got rung big-time!
So the point of all this is can some one gently explain the term "tucking the front end"
My humble thanks
Mark
nghead:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Please explain, “tucking the front end”! (oneilmd)

Back me up here, racers.

This is just a simple loss of traction at the front, correct? Another term for a lowside, or is tucking the front different from a lowside?

Mark, were you maybe too heavy on the front brake at the time?

Sorry to here about your injuries, dude. How the heck did the bike come out ok with you getting beat up like that?

Best of luck with your recovery.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

oneilmd,
Sorry to hear of your accident. We'll have to go for a spin when you get back on yer feet. I live in Natick.

Good luck with the recovery!

Red 749s by any chance? I've seen one buzzing around.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Please explain, “tucking the front end”! (Kennedy)

Greetigns Dave! ya red 749S with CF winglet things on the front. It would be great to hook up for a ride. I will not be rideing till last week of Aug or 1st week of Sep.
Anyway things are healing..sholder is feeling better and nerve damage is subsideing, the ribs on the other had wack it and hurt like a son of a gun!
rgs
Mark

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Broke 8 ribs, my collar bone and punched a hole in my lung 2 1/2 years ago and I still hurt daily. Best of luck to you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (3ducks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 3ducks »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Broke 8 ribs, my collar bone and punched a hole in my lung 2 1/2 years ago and I still hurt daily. Best of luck to you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well there's the encouragement

good luck with the recovery and rebuild

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (throttlehead)

After 7 crashes on the track in the last 20 months, I came to the conclusion that our bodies were not designed to hit the pavement at high rates of speed.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (throttlehead)

heal up fast!!
If you crashed June 7 th?? Then I saw you laying up on the banking (good thing you weren't going fast enough to hit the wall...NOT GOOD there,,basically why there's no more AMA racing at Loudon) anyway..I didn't see you go down,,but I can tell you that you should not have been on the brakes going through the quick right-left 11,12. unless you were in very hot. I don't even try to trailbrake there (to much quick steering inputs)
Question: do you remember your other laps through there? If so, do you have the throttle open, at least a little, if not you can easily load the front tire there, plus there's a dip on one side of the transition. Maybe a loaded front end (no throttle) or you hit the dip...or both!!! Plus it's easy to try to cheat there and run it through the grass a little...also not good!!
Once, toward the end (when most track crashed happen) of a long day...I had a major "brain fart" and went straight through the grass...missing both turns altogether...no crash..but a funky line up on the straight to be sure!!
Hey, If I had time..I could talk about how I crashed in turn 1A last year..I know nobody crashes in turn 1A..
But enough about me..
Hope you heal fast and get back on the bike...hope to see ya at Loudon again.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Back to the original question:

CRASHING 101

"Tucking the front end" is indeed a form of the Lowside crash.

There are two basic types of crashes, the Lowside and the Highside, with variations of both.

A lowside essentially is when you fall "into" the corner, landing on the same side on which you were leaning in the first place. Generally the result of simply losing traction from one or both tires - or contacting hard parts - and having the bike "slide out" from under you. Usually a pretty mild crash.

When you "tuck the front", it means that the front tire loses traction rapidly, and you immediately slam down on your shoulder/arm/head, which is apparently what happened to you. This is why collarbone and rib injuries are common in this type of crash. It's usually caused by too much braking while leaned over, or chopping the throttle mid-turn, both actions resulting in overloading the front tire. Very hard kind of crash to save, because it happens so instantly.

The other common type of crash is the Highside, which is usually pretty vicious. It occurs when a tire loses traction - almost always the rear upon acceleration - and starts to slide outward, but suddenly regains its grip. This causes a "catapult" effect, and can launch the rider right over the top of the bike. This hurts. Trust me.

You can also be thrown back toward the inside of the corner, but it's still a high side because of the way it happens originally...

(Oh, BTW, get well soon!)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (trussdude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trussdude »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After 7 crashes on the track in the last 20 months, I came to the conclusion that our bodies were not designed to hit the pavement at high rates of speed.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry for "hijacknig" the thread, but 7crashes in 2 years!??!?! Wtf are you doing on the track? Playing Ridge Racer? :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: (jbraslins)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbraslins »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sorry for "hijacknig" the thread, but 7crashes in 2 years!??!?! Wtf are you doing on the track? Playing Ridge Racer? :)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

He needs more and better bikes

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: (section8superbike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by section8superbike »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He needs more and better bikes
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You know someone who could sell him those bikes?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Jason I need to wonder about you.....

What could be better for Ducati racers than a 2005 999R and 2005 749R....but you know this because you have raced both of Truss's bikes...hmmmmm I wonder who sold them to Pat...

LMAO!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: (hearing8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hearing8 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jason I need to wonder about you.....

What could be better for Ducati racers than a 2005 999R and 2005 749R....but you know this because you have raced both of Truss's bikes...hmmmmm I wonder who sold them to Pat...

LMAO!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I'm thinking we need to go from the other direction with Pat. Maybe a fleet of M620 Darks! I'm thinking he could have ten of them ready to rock at all times.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

hmmm.... this brings back good memories at loudon.

speedy recovery for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts