Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to put on a set of DP pipes, racing ECU, and DP filter kit in my '00 bike. I'm assuming that I'll 'at least' have to tweek the idle speed after all is installed. Is there a single idle screw to tweek or am I going to have to adjust each throttle body while watching a set of vacuum gauges or something? Do ya think I'm going to have to make a run to the dealer to have it dialed in with a Mathesis and if so...........
I'm about due for my 600 mile check-up. Should I get that done and then put my parts in or install everything and then get it down to the dealer for it's check-up and a set-up.
Thanks fellas!
Greg C

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
you get the idle mixture reset after the new ecu is fitted. fit it all and get it serviced.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: (brad black)

Does the DP ECU fuel map cover slip-ons AND the open air box? I looked at the DP catalog and they note the ECU is enhanced for slip-ons, but says nothing about the open air box. I would guess they would be specific about something like this, no?

How does the DP ECU compare to the "out of the box" FIM map for open box and slip-ons?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (Nick D.)

Good Questions: I can answer one of them.......
The catalog I have (DP2004) says of the pipe/ECU kit (96203900B): recommended use: in combination with PN 964065AAA ... which is the DP open box top filter kit, so yea, they call it the catalog...in the small print~
gregc

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (gregc)

I just installed the high mount carbon "racing" cans and ecu, the part number ended in 699c, and man are they loud! I was very happy with the look, and the bike fired up first try with the new computer installed. I haven't ridden it yet to see if there are any holes in the rpm range, but it definately seems to have free'd up the bike. And did I mention they are loud?!

Brennan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you open up the air box? I'm sure that makes it even louder!
BTW: I heard the high pipes are not quite as loud or free-flowing as the lows due to the extra bending. I wouldn't expect it to be much different though... let us know how she rides!
Greg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I've taken the snorkels out, but have yet to remove the whole lid. Once I get a free minute, I'll just cut the whole lid out and leave the outside edge on it. I can't get over how good the pipes look compared to what was on there, and they are so much lighter too. Awesome. Thanks Section8!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I heard somewhere mention of 'starting the bike with the "red Key" after installing an ECU to mate/lock the ECU to the bike'. Anyone know what's up with that?
Greg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What?...huh?....I can't hear you!!!

Damn these things are loud. Seriously, I've got to get some ear plugs. Under accelleration they are not so bad, to me anyway, but from behind might be another story. But decellerating!!!!! WOW. They sound like I've got a 454 with flowmasters! No joke, I'm not riding again without earplugs. But....Throttle response is awesome, and there doesn't seem to be any miss while cruising at 2500rpm like there used to be. I haven't really wrung it out yet, just rode to work today. I'll let you know how it out on the open road. Definately not for the faint of heart. Sounds great idling though...had a harley rider looking real hard at the stoplight.

B-

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gregc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I heard somewhere mention of 'starting the bike with the "red Key" after installing an ECU to mate/lock the ECU to the bike'. Anyone know what's up with that?
Greg
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Only on the new 5.9's with the imobilizer

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got all my parts together. Tomorrow is wrenching day. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
BTW: thanks, Jason, all the bits look like they made it to NY in good shape.
I can SEE by just looking at these pipes that it's gonna be LOUD*
gregc

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Pipes, ECU, and air filter kit all installed today. Bike sounds great and runs like an atomic clock, accurately. I couldn't be happier. Perfect volume, IMO. Smooth throttle response, no pops, no hiccoughs, no sputters, tons of 'pull'....
Tomorrow, clutch vent and 'lose the EPA crap' day.
gregc

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PS: thanks 'Section 8' for getting me the goodies and some good advice to go with it.
greg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Update: I pulled all the crankcase vent stuff, sealed the hole in the airbox, and replaced it all with a K&N filter and then attacked the CA issue tank vent/charcoal canister collection. With all that removed my idle hardly moved (still sits in the 1100-1200 range) and the bike seems to be happier down in the low rev range and very, very smooth now throughout.
I vented the clutch cover with some spacers (5/16") all round, just to see how it was. Damn clutch makes as much noise as my open top airbox and pipes do combined. That and the thought of road junk getting up and in there was enough for my to refit the factory cover. I'm thinking of possibly venting the stock cover with a narrow notch or something only on the rear, back side of the cover. Anyone here ever try machining that cover or see anything like that for sale? Most the covers I see for sale are way too open for what I'm looking for.
Thanks,
Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts