Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be some serious confussion about what pressures the Pilot Power tires should be run at. When I first ordered my set, I called Michelin USA and asked about pressure suggestions, they deffered me to Freddie Spencer's School who not only are the SW distributor but also did much of the development work.

FSS suggested I go with 35-36 PSI (cold) Front and 36-37 PSI (cold) Rear.

When I did my first track day on the Powers, the Michelin reps at CA Speedway suggested the same pressures. The tires felt fine throughout the day. So I was happy.

Now, the latest RRW tire test article suggests, 31 PSI (cold) Front and 28 PSI (cold) Rear.

The UK Michelin site suggests 31 PSI (cold) Front and 36 PSI (cold) Rear.

Anyone got a straight answer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Pilot Powers ... what's the deal. (hubert)

Whatever Freddie say's...
I KNOW LDH follows him religiously...

Orrrr , you can try the different pressure's and decide for yourself...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think those pressures are for nitrogen. If you're running regular air there might be a correction factor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (quikie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikie »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think those pressures are for nitrogen. If you're running regular air there might be a correction factor.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I believe there's a muffler bearing correction too and a headlight fluid flush correction factor as well...

PS: Anyone know what the reccomended or optimal tread temp is then?

Modified by hubert at 1:31 PM 5/10/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Pilot Powers ... what's the deal. (old timer)

That said, it could be a magazine typo, a mistake on the website, and so on. Most guys I've spoken with go a couple pounds less in the rear so that UK quote seems dodgy. Folklore has the Pilot Powers running as low as 30F 28R, but feeling really squishy.

An un-named Michelin tester once said to the group I was with. "The biggest favor you can do yourself is to take 10 Psi out of your tires. You're so slow it won't be dangerous, and then you can feel what the tires are doing."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Pilot Powers ... what's the deal. (Just Riding Along)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Just Riding Along »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That said, it could be a magazine typo, a mistake on the website, and so on. Most guys I've spoken with go a couple pounds less in the rear so that UK quote seems dodgy. Folklore has the Pilot Powers running as low as 30F 28R, but feeling really squishy.

An un-named Michelin tester once said to the group I was with. "The biggest favor you can do yourself is to take 10 Psi out of your tires. You're so slow it won't be dangerous, and then you can feel what the tires are doing."</TD></TR></TABLE>

I actually called RRW to see if they made a typo regarding the Pilot Power pressures, they said that their notes listed the published pressure per their Michelin rep, who that was they didn't say.

The concern I have is, if the Power do in fact like the higher pressures then there's a reason for it and the one that's been given is their softer than usual carcass construction requires the higher pressures. So, if I were to run at 5-6psi lower, I'd be overheating the carcass and overheating the tread and causing the tires to get really greasy, really fast and killing the carcass in the process.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i will double check with my tireguy tonight. i think i remember what we were setting them at for BIR last weekend, but i will confirm before i post it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pressures I see (I test tire pressures fairly regularly on top FUSA riders) is in the 26-28 PSI range. which compound and the track I am sure has something to do with it.

FYI these are hot pressures

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Eric)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eric »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The pressures I see (I test tire pressures fairly regularly on top FUSA riders) is in the 26-28 PSI range. which compound and the track I am sure has something to do with it.

FYI these are hot pressures</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this for the Pilot Power or the Pilot RACE? If those are hot pressure for the Power then the cold pressures are in the 22-24 PSI range and that's way off even what RRW has said.
My head is seriously about to spin off like a top...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Eric)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eric »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oops sorry I guess they would be the Pilot Race</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahh, okay, that makes more sense.
Thanks for the clarification.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'd stick with what the rep at the track says...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Pilot Powers ... what's the deal. (V-Twin Power)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by V-Twin Power »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The UK guys are metric - the difference......</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think it has more to do with the fact that they are running European air which expands faster in heat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Michelin rep told me to run Pilot Powers @ 30/30 on the track.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I dug a bit deeper, higher pressure for the UK makes sense. Higher speeds = higher cold pressure. I think most folks would admit the Euro's tend to run faster on the street.

Official tire or motorcycle info is always going to lean to publishing the highest pressure. The tire guy at the track should have a straight answer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Recommended street and track pressures are often different, with lower pressures being run on the track. Did you ask Spencer's school about pressures for the street or for the track, and are you sure they understood what information you wanted?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Pilot Powers ... what's the deal. (JeffKoch)

Pilot race....and only pilot race

31lbs front

22lbs rear

those are the correct pressures as per Michelin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pilot powers - these are the pressures recommended for track day riding as per my Michelin rep.

31-32 front
26-28 rear

1 - 20 of 25 Posts