Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to Chicago yesterday to pick up a stock 84 Yamaha RZ350 Kenny Roberts edition. Only has 6300 miles on the clock and is clean as a baby's butt! And holy crap is this thing fun to ride!!

This one is too clean to change, so i'll keep it as a collectors...but i'm really thinking about selling the RC51 and buying another RZ and putting a few grand into it and building a sub 300 pound, 75 horse track tool...

Anyway, i've just become a two-stroke lover!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Picked up my first two-stroke... (didlysquat)

This was just in the classifieds till two weeks ago. I ended up shipping to AZ. I sold it cheap and all the mods are done, it's even safety wired already.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Picked up my first two-stroke... (didlysquat)

Not to mention the fact that my mom lives in Sheboygan so I could have damn near delivered it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (didlysquat)

It was one of three bikes and it didn't fill a void so I never rode it. I picked it up last year from another member in Fon Du Lac. It was for sale for a little while and I had a few people interested. One guy saw it and it was exactly what he wanted. He is using it for track days when he get's it. Cost him $600 to ship it to AZ. Here's the original post. http://speedzilla.zeroforum.co...40081

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (MNwilly)

Man...with all those mods from SpecII, I wish I had seen your post earlier! I would have bought it in a second!!

Did the bike perform much better after all the mods? Did you feel it was worth the 2,200 bucks from SpecII?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (didlysquat)

The mods were already done when I got it. The bike pulled solid from 6000 to 11000 and would wheelie very easily. I have never rode a stock one but I think with the engine work and the suspension setup it would embarrass a few people on much newer and bigger bikes. The funny thing is that even with the somewhat peaky powerband it was very well mannered at lower speeds. I'm sure I could have gotten more money for it but I got wht I had put into it so I was happy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks for the info...I've been combing through the internet looking at just about every RZ page out there. The mods that SpecII has on its webpage seem to be just about what everyone says the RZ needs. Nice to know it'll only cost about 2 grand too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MNwilly »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have never rode a stock one but I think with the engine work and the suspension setup it would embarrass a few people on much newer and bigger bikes...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummmm... not really.

The RZ is a fun bike to ride, but there's only so much you can do to bring it up to the kind of standards today's sport bikes have set. Without major mods to the frame, and complete changes in suspension and brakes, you'd have a tough time beating an R6, for instance, even if you're a much better rider.

Back in the day - mid 80's - I used to be able to use my RZ to beat some pretty decent riders on 900 Ninjas, GSXR750's, Katanas, etc. I had the engine breathed on quite a bit, carbs, pipes, etc. But it was a flexi-flyer of a chassis even then. When I got my FZ600 in '87, I realized just how scary/wobbly the RZ actually was!

Here's a shot from around 1986. I'm going around the outside of a guy on a GSXR750...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (Giannis)

Yeah...

Back then, you couldn't get leathers with knee pucks already on them - at least not for a price I could afford at the time! And there was no aftermarket availability for them, either. You pretty much had to be a factory rider to get the cool knee pucks. So we just had to make our own. Hell, even Kenny Roberts was duct taping his knees in the late 70's.

We didn't have back protectors, or knuckle armor on our gloves, or air vents on top of our helmets, or frame sliders, or even aftermarket bodywork back then! Things have come a long way for the average track rider/club racer!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (LeRacer)

Two Strokes are great fun. There is still an RZ500 I'm looking at getting. It only needs some very minor work. The guy who owns it is a two stroke nut and his wife is sick of there being so many bikes about. He'll only sell the Rz500 to a fellow two stroke nut.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (Bucko)

yeah, used to have a couple of RZ350's . Remeber tank covers? What ever happened to them, huh?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts