Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How should I have everything setup if I'm running a Penske double clicker with a Varium link? I have the forks dropped 10mm or at the first of the 4 lines. I'm at the bottom end of the weight the shock is sprung for. I'm going to have everything setup when my suspension guy can get me scheduled in, but that could be a while. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
If the varium link is similar or a copy of the Moriwaki or Kyle Link then you are not getting the proper benefits of the link when used with a Penske shock.

The lack of a top-out spring in the Penske shock does not give the same dynamic ride that the Ohlins does.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought the link changed the way the suspension as a whole worked? Certainly improved the stock setup. I've seen you say that before when searching but many others tend to disagree.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
The link helps with the stock set-up because the stock shock is completely over-sprung and the link alters the rising rate of the swingarm which requires more spring rate for the same weight.

Even Max from Traxxion, whom I have feuded with for years even though I actually like the guy, used to claim he had a bucket of these links from RC51's at his shop because he couldn't get them to work right with a Penske shock. At the time I thought he was just baggin on the link because it was one of Dan Kyle's major selling points with the Ohlins shock, but as time went on myself and many others I trust had similar results.

Now if others want to argue my findings then so be it. I'm too tired and apathetic about an 11 year old bike to really argue with them, but I have been proven right on all things RC51 for years and I doubt too many people that are saying I am wrong have been employed to test and develop bike parts over the years as I have. When I tell people something works it does and when I say something doesn't it doesn't. I don't subscribe to the placebo effect or need to read a bunch of magazines to form an opinion. Consistent lap times and astute observation of the bike dictate my responses not conjecture.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ldh just to clarify

I understand that the link doesn't mesh well with the penske BUT does it cause a problem as in is it counter productive or does it not work to its full potential.

Ps I found an ohlins, just need to get is sprung. I'm at 275 now in boxers , (bad for riding, AWESOME for rugby, lol). What spring would i need?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
That part is subjective. I personally feel it is just not reaching its full potential with the Penske. Others that have club raced the RC51 with the Penske tend to claim it is a hindrance all the way around when you are really pushing at the limit. My testing of the Penske was done on borrowed bikes over the years and as you can pretty much assume one doesn't quite flog another persons bike like you would your own so I won't refute their opinions on the matter.

What I can tell you is that the Ohlins+Link set-up is a definite advantage over the Penske as long as you are in the correct weight range to take advantage of the spring offerings for the shock. When you start getting up around 240lbs it is hard to find a spring that is stiff enough and will FIT the shock body to compensate for the altered rising rate of the swingarm.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Looks like the only way to know for sure is for him to run it with and without link I guess.

Dang it! Looks like I need to stop bulking up and go back to cutting lol. That's not a problem if I stop working out, I settle at 225-235.

How woyld I go about getting it set at 240? Send it to Kyle? How much?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.