Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
For those who haven't followed my first "installment" - I was having shutoff/bogging problems with my second PCIIIUSB.

On LDH's advice I gave the harnesses a thorough inspection, and found no exposed wires (bummer - I wish it was that simple). I redid the connections and rode the bike for another week or so. It seemed to run ok.

Today I walked out from work and tried to fire the bike up. It kicked over fine but wouldn't fire. After shutting the ignition off and back on, and cursing a lot, the bike fired and puffed fuel out the rear. Interesting - seems like its SUPER rich, or possibly an ignition problem.

I pull out of the parking lot, and cruise to the main street - and the thing starts acting up. Shutting off. This is going to be a long ride home. On the way home it probably died 4 or 5 times (in 7 miles).

I have since ripped the PCIIIUSB out and closely inspected the wiring. Again, no exposed wires. The bike is firing up right away now, and isn't exhibiting the same problems. I am going to run it the rest of the week without the PCIII to make sure indeed it is the problem. I did a search and found tons of people with similar issues (multiple PCIII's failing, not a wiring problem, etc. R6 messagenet contained many).

I had called DynoJet and got the "we'll see what we can do" answer. But rather than waste my time with this piece of shit, I'd rather move on.

So I did a search on the web, found that Yosh. makes the EMS. Anyone running one of these? Any problems? Available maps? Did a search and didn't find much info, so that's not a good sign.

Any other options? At this point, I might just leave the ECU stock. It might not make as much power, but it sure does run.

As always, any help is appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did the unit get wet at all, or is it really humid?

Is there anything that is pressing on the buttons on the PCIII while in your trunk?
Tie downs, tool bag?

Is there anything jammed in the USB port area?

Is your gastank pinching the wires, did you double check the routing to make sure the connetors and {or} wires aren't getting pinched, or binded?

Is there beer in the fridge?

I'm just going through a list that I would think of in your situation...

If it happens on and off like that, I am suspecting it is a connection and not the computer, I would favor the problem to be in the connectors because it is more rare for a wiring problem to snap on and off for a long period of time without shorting out after a couple times, make sure they aren't getting smashed under the tank.

You said you had the same problem twice now, I got $50 saying it isn't faulty PCIII's, but a faulty installation

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (cutter)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cutter »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did the unit get wet at all, or is it really humid?

Is there anything that is pressing on the buttons on the PCIII while in your trunk?
Tie downs, tool bag?

Is there anything jammed in the USB port area?

Is your gastank pinching the wires, did you double check the routing to make sure the connetors and {or} wires aren't getting pinched, or binded?

Is there beer in the fridge?

I'm just going through a list that I would think of in your situation...

If it happens on and off like that, I am suspecting it is a connection and not the computer, I would favor the problem to be in the connectors because it is more rare for a wiring problem to snap on and off for a long period of time without shorting out after a couple times, make sure they aren't getting smashed under the tank.

You said you had the same problem twice now, I got $50 saying it isn't faulty PCIII's, but a faulty installation
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No pinched wires under fuel tank. Nothing hitting the buttons. Nothing in the USB port, etc. Beer is in the fridge - consumed two while removing the PCIII. The harness has no exposed wires, so I see no reason why after 1 year of running fine it should take a crap now.

One question I had was - are these units so sensitive that bends in the harness (not pinched or kinked) can cause problems? The harness is pretty long so I was thinking perhaps the fact that it isn't perfectly straight could cause the problem?

Oh well...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (smiles)

I believe the Yoshimura EMS is made by Dynojet/PC to their specs. I have one on my bike. Never had a real problem that was the unit's fault. Had trouble loading/retrieving maps but it turned out to be the computer I was using. On rare occasion my bike will hiccup and stall. Yoshimura software and PC software do not interchange. If there is a PC map you want to use you have to sit down and manually enter all the numbers. (I spent hours already doing this for myself.) If I had to do it all over again I would prolly just get the PC. At least you can reach somebody at Dynojet, try reaching tech at Yoshimura! I was gonna run the accessory hub with the ability to change maps on the fly. Still might, when the fuel gets low an econo map change might squeak my butt to the gas station.
Run your bike without and see if the problem persists. Pay close attention to the wiring where it passes under the rear of the fuel tank. I have my wiring wrapped in that black spiral wrap stuff to prevent chaffing. Twins vibrate and wiring can rub thru in places. Make sure you are grounded on the battery and the battery conections are clean.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: PCIII Saga continues......Yoshimura EMS?? Anyone?? (smiles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smiles »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok,
For those who haven't followed my first "installment" - I was having shutoff/bogging problems with my second PCIIIUSB.

On LDH's advice I gave the harnesses a thorough inspection, and found no exposed wires (bummer - I wish it was that simple). I redid the connections and rode the bike for another week or so. It seemed to run ok.

Today I walked out from work and tried to fire the bike up. It kicked over fine but wouldn't fire. After shutting the ignition off and back on, and cursing a lot, the bike fired and puffed fuel out the rear. Interesting - seems like its SUPER rich, or possibly an ignition problem.

I pull out of the parking lot, and cruise to the main street - and the thing starts acting up. Shutting off. This is going to be a long ride home. On the way home it probably died 4 or 5 times (in 7 miles).

I have since ripped the PCIIIUSB out and closely inspected the wiring. Again, no exposed wires. The bike is firing up right away now, and isn't exhibiting the same problems. I am going to run it the rest of the week without the PCIII to make sure indeed it is the problem. I did a search and found tons of people with similar issues (multiple PCIII's failing, not a wiring problem, etc. R6 messagenet contained many).

I had called DynoJet and got the "we'll see what we can do" answer. But rather than waste my time with this piece of shit, I'd rather move on.

So I did a search on the web, found that Yosh. makes the EMS. Anyone running one of these? Any problems? Available maps? Did a search and didn't find much info, so that's not a good sign.

Any other options? At this point, I might just leave the ECU stock. It might not make as much power, but it sure does run.

As always, any help is appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE> gotta say ive heard storys like this and was skeptical about buying anything from dyno junk! ive always used factory jet kits and had excellent results. then comes the fuel injected bike(the rc is my first)factory had nothing for the bike so dyno jet pc3usb it was. i installed it along with erion slip ons,(not that ill admit it but i read ldh's page on the install,it helped with routing it correctly,no pinched or rubbed wires,thanks ldh!)loaded an erion map,dyno tuned the bike to what i would call excellent driveability. it took several runs to dial it in but i thought it was worth it. i dont load or change maps,honestly i see no need or reason to.ive had zero troubles with the bike after its install.maybe you should try a new one,load a map(maybe from dk)find a dyno shop and tune the bike to the best drivability!i doubt youll have any issues after that!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update - I sent the unit back to DynoJet and it tested bad on their testset.

They shipped a new one which I should receive today, so all should be well. Hopefully this one will last longer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (smiles)

Glad to hear Dynojet backed their product. Always good to hear such experiences. By the way, I got a bike with the Yoshimura EMS already installed. I have since changed my pipes and had the headers ceramic coated. Bike seems to run fine...however, if anyone knows a place in LA area where I can get it tuned/dialed in properly, I would appreciate the information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts