Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some might see this as a bad move but imo if it makes the move from one series to the next more palatable for sponsors in particular we will see more MGP ex-riders in WSC perhaps like CEII and Hayden.

Yeah, Turbo I'm still ticked that CEII went to a 3rd tier no-wheres-ville team instead of taking on another title shot in WSC and awakening the Beast Bayliss from him self-induced retirement. :D

Soup :: Parent Company of MotoGP Acquires Parent Company of WSBK :: 09-02-2011

·
Street and Track Moderator
3,888 Posts
Wow,

I really hope WSBK is not killed off to save MotoGP!

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow,

I really hope WSBK is not killed off to save MotoGP!
If it happens pretty much my motorcycle racing will be over. IOMTT and WSC are all I follow religiously. I only watch MGP sparingly. It is nowhere near WSC or IOMTT in quality.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
What I could see instead is an attempt at differentiation between the two series. Perhaps kill of World Superstock and make the rules for World Superbike more toward that series than MotoGP. This might encourage manufacturers to join/remain in WSBK if they don't want the expense of MotoGP. BMW, Aprilia, KTM, Kawasaki, MV Agusta...this means you.

MotoGP is going to remain a Honda/Yamaha show as it has been for a generation, With the occasional championship by Suzuki or more recenetly Ducati. Basically the entire two-stroke 500gp/motogp era has been dominated by the two biggest Japanese manufacturers. I personally don't see that changing anytime soon.

What I could see happening is the following:
In the "Moto" series...
Moto3: 250cc single four strokes. Maybe 2-3 engine suppliers and protoype chassis or production race bikes. Good for aspiring teenagers, put a 14-21 year age limit on a rider to compete.

Moto2: 600cc four-stroke. One engine supplier by rule, and prototype chassis. In reality only 2-3 chassis are really competitive. Again, age limit the riders to encourage them not to make a career out of the feeder class. 16-27 years.

MotoGP: Premier series as it always has been. Goal would be 24 bikes on the grid, with 20 the likely real number. And maybe 5 riders at any one time have a chance at winning in reality. Four of them on factory Hondas and Yamaha.

In the "World" series
1000 Superstock: killed off as I said above

600 Supersport (Europe rounds only): Feeder series for young riders to go into Moto2 or MSBK. Age range 14-23.

Middleweight Superbike MSBK (600-4, 675-3, 850-2) (was WSS): Allow more radical tuning than current to push the limits of what a middleweight bike can do. There is only one manufacturer in Moto2, all the others (plus Moto2 supplier) can really push with this series. The goal in Moto2 is to make all the engines the same and reliable. MSBK should be about pushing these things as far as they can go, ironically more trick than even the World Superbikes. They would probably be faster than Moto2 some places. Ultimately the goal would be to replace the big bikes with these.

World Superbike: Like stated above, more like Superstock but still trick. Maybe a little less costly than current. One bike/2 engines per weekend rule to limit costs. Retain the double race format. Ex-MotoGP riders, Moto2 riders who aged out, and riders who came up through the World Supersport and MSBK series would be target competitors.

Other points:
1) Encourage MotoGP sponsors, or potential sponsors, to also move to WSBK or MSBK where they can probably get more bang for their buck.

2) Schedule alternating race weekends so the two series do not conflict. ideally they would move through the world barely ever crossing paths (except #5 below). Imagine 35 straight weeks of some sort of racing every weekend on TV!

3) Use World Superbikes to explore new venues that may become MotoGP tracks later. Or use World Superbikes for circuits that have been dropped from MotoGP. Turkey, Suzuka, & China are just a few examples.

4) Strongly encourage current MotoGP riders, as well as up and coming Moto2 stars, to participate in wild card rides in MSBK or WSBK.

5) Have combined testing weeks in the off-season where riders from both series will be there. Moto2 testing with MSBK, or WSBK and MotoGP, testing at the same venue at the same time. As garage space allows of course. This gives the teams and riders a chance to mingle somewhat, and see the other side. Everyone knowing everyone else would not be a bad thing. The press on those test days would be pretty cool I would think. It would be good for both teams to see the weak and strong points of the other without competing against each other. I personally would love to see Biaggi on the RSV4 and Rossi on the D16, on track at the same time.

6) If there must be a single tire rule, mandate a different supplier for Moto2 vs MotoGP, and a different supplier for MSBK and WSBK. Ideally though there would be at least two manufacturers in each series. Maybe wishful thinking.

·
Street and Track Moderator
3,888 Posts
That took some thought, I would hate to lose 1000 Superstock however!

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
MotoGP is the dying series not Superbikes.
Once Rossi retires it will be Tumbleweed central.
kinda like when Jordan left basket ball. I don't think it will die, but it will never be the same. And it will be long before another has that kind of star power.

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
MotoGP is the dying series not Superbikes.
Once Rossi retires it will be Tumbleweed central.
Do you actually believe people are packing the stands to watch Flossi get 7th this year?:rolleyes: He HAS retired already and the series is healthy. Attendance has been good, especially when you take into consideration the global economy.

WSBK is dead. It's a wasteland for GP castoffs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.