Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever bought any touch up paint on ebay? If so how close is it to Duc red? OR does anybody know of a place that sells the paint. I have the PPG#, I just need to know where to get it from. THANKS

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Paint advice (superduc21)

your local ppg paint supplier

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

My problem is I live in a little hicktown (dont bash me!) the only paint place is Sherwin Williams or Wal-Mart. Is the ebay stuff worth it?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I've heard good about Stripeman in Jax. not to far from you. 904.388.7370

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Just ordered it
cheaper than ebay! My next question is can I just paint over the scrapes where it was laid down? (It is not gouged just scraped) and do I need to prime the gas tank where it was taken down to the metal? The spot on the front fairing is about 1/4"x2", gas tank about the size of a quarter(2 seperate spots), and rear fairing about 1/2"x2". Any advice will help!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You using a brush or a roller?

I hope that you don't have plans on making the repair look like anything but a quick fix.

First clean the entire surface with wax and grease remover.
To repair that damage you will want to sand and prime the bare metal with an etching primer. You can’t just paint over the metal – it won’t stick.
You also will want to sand the plastic – the paint is only going to stick to the surface by the physical bond that the sanding scratches provide. There will not be a chemical bond to the old paint.
It will not match – I am almost positive that the stock paint is a base / clear. Touch up paint is going to be a single step paint and you won’t get the same shine even if it is a perfect match.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It doesnt have to be perfect. Will this be hard to fix?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

it wont be hard. do you have any experince with pain and body work?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Paint advice (mortoduc)

A little bit, I've restored a 78 Camaro but I did not know how the plastic holds paint. Do you know how close to factory color rite paint is? I hope it doesnt make it look worse!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

superduc, have you recieved any im from me?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Super
I dont know what kind of paint you got or repair you are trying to achieve, but, if you take a part off your bike and take it to the Sherwin Williams store they might have some one that can match the color to the sample you give them.
Use the ultra 7000 base and clear. But that might also cost a little bit more than what you got now. Sherwin Williams is a good automotive refinish.

It is a Sherwin automotive paint and not house paint store I hope

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
after reading these posts i think you should take it to a body shop.i've seen many repairs and had to redo all of them!base clear on a nice ducati is not a spray bomb repair

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Paint advice (mortoduc)

I got a 2oz bottle of the color-rite. It took about 3 coats but it is near an exact match
. Only noticable now where the plastic was gouged but even that is barely noticeable. I am going to get it painted when I get my new fairings. These are cracked from a lowspeed slide. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts