Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride with my index and middle fingers resting on the front brake lever to reduce reaction time. Recently, however, the underneath/outside part of my wrist is sore. Anyone else ride like this and have a similar pain?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Stop breaking?
You only need you index to be resting on the lever. You can also re-adjust your lever so that it is more comfy for you to ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where exactly are you riding? I never ride with my fingers on the levers. What reduced reaction time? The pro racers don't ride that way...only extend their fingers when they need to. Any rider that keeps their hands in essentially the same place can and will get riders cramp....I always move my hands around and try to flex my fingers as much as possible....R6's are buzzbombs on your hands.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Pain With a Twist of the Wrist (socal)

Find a physio/hand clinic/sports med Dr. Could be a pinched nerve, or carpal tunnel, or who knows what.

There has to be a couple clinics in LA that are aware of riding.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (roadkill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I never ride with my fingers on the levers. What reduced reaction time?</TD></TR></TABLE>

At 60 mph, you are traveling 88 feet per second. If it takes you only one tenth of a second to get your fingers off the twist grip and onto the brake lever, you've travelled almost 9 feet. That can be the difference between hitting or missing that van that pulled out in front of you.

Covering your brake lever is a very smart idea on the street. I generally cover mine with two fingers any time I'm in any kind of traffic or confined area where there are hidden dangers. On the open highway, I usually don't bother.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The pro racers don't ride that way...only extend their fingers when they need to...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's because they're on the race track. They don't have to worry about things appearing out of nowhere. They brake in the exact same place lap after lap. There's no need to cover the brake lever. (Plus, they need all their fingers on the grips when their bikes can pull power wheelies at over 100mph!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Manu »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You only need you index to be resting on the lever. You can also re-adjust your lever so that it is more comfy for you to ride.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you normally brake with two fingers, it doesn't do much good to cover the lever with only one finger. Of course, if you have true one-finger brakes, then, well... congratulations.

Adjusting the brake lever is a good idea, if you haven't tried that already. When bikes come out of the crate new, they usually have their brake and clutch levers adjusted WAY up in the air. The dealers rarely bother to adjust them down, and I can't believe how many people buy a new bike and never change the position of the levers! I've hopped onto people's bikes who have been riding for quite some time, and found the levers up so high they would only be comfortable if my elbows were below my wrists!

You may also try, when you feel your wrists bothering you, wiggling your fingers around to promote circulation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Pain With a Twist of the Wrist (socal)

I cover the brake on the street with one finger, gotta cut down on that reaction time is right.......don't get any pain from riding that way, I would seek medical help and get a few x-rays to find out if there is a problem.........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Pain With a Twist of the Wrist (Superbikemike1000)

Yes knock the clutch and brake levers down so you're at a more natural angle. Close your eyes, and reach for where you "want" the lever to be, and then set it.

Try supporting your weight with your abdomen and bending your elbows so you aren't putting it all into your arms.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.