Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a bike out of state that I'm thinking of buying. I live in California. The bike is an 05 with very low miles. What kind of problems and expenses should I expect from dmv? thank you for your help! Just trying to make sure it ends up being a good deal buy the time I'm done.

Modified by jw112 at 1:21 AM 7/11/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: out of state bike buying? $$$$? (jw112)

Depends wherer it comes from but shipping from michigan ran me $450 or so. DO NOT USE JC MOTORS. They shipped it through North American Van Lines and NAVL dropped a full pallet on the bike at the terminal. NAVL then would not pay up on the insurnace claim. I finally got my own insurance involved (Add the bike to your insurance before it leaves) and got a $3K+ payout. JC Motors washed their hands of the whole thing as soon as they swiped my c.c.. They were of no help when the bike was damaged and in fact didn't even honor the contract that they sold me. They did not cover the bike as promised and broke federal law regarding my bill of lading.

Anyway. The bike is now shipped and you got it. If it's a SBK take the fairing off so dmv can see the engine # and the federal compliance stickers and the VIN. Make an appointment via the interent for registration. They will start the paperwork and then send you outside for the inspection. 5 minutes later you go back in and finish the registration and title change. You will pay sales tax per your County rate based on what you tell the DMV you bought the bike for.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: out of state bike buying? $$$$? (hbliam)

I will be picking it up. There is no minimum mile limit? Out of state transfer fees? etc? just sales tax? and registration?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

that sounds extra complicated....the last out of state i bought- the guy trailered to me...singed over the title ...i took it to the tile place close to me....they checked the VIN on the bike- end of story.

saying that...knocking on wood...as my new title for my 998 should be here Monday from NC so we'll see

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: out of state bike buying? $$$$? (throttlehead)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by throttlehead »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ...i took it to the tile place close to me....
</TD></TR></TABLE>
That must be the same place I got my Bath room tiles???

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

We are talking about CA....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by throttlehead »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that sounds extra complicated....the last out of state i bought- the guy trailered to me...singed over the title ...i took it to the tile place close to me....they checked the VIN on the bike- end of story.

saying that...knocking on wood...as my new title for my 998 should be here Monday from NC so we'll see
</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jw112 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will be picking it up. There is no minimum mile limit? Out of state transfer fees? etc? just sales tax? and registration? </TD></TR></TABLE>

The min mle deal only applies to non-emission compliant vehicles. ALL late model Ducatis are CA legal. So yes. Just sales tax and registration.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: out of state bike buying? $$$$? (hbliam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hbliam »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The min mle deal only applies to non-emission compliant vehicles. ALL late model Ducatis are CA legal. So yes. Just sales tax and registration.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you were bringing a bike in that had emissions removed - do they actually check that and do emissions testing?

Modified by throttlehead at 4:36 PM 7/11/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by throttlehead »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you were bringing a bike in that had emissions removed - do they actually check that and do emissions testing?

Modified by throttlehead at 4:36 PM 7/11/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope. I took in a S4R with full arrow's and the guy just looked at the compliance sticker and checked off the box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts