Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rotax 343, and a comet clutch, that I would like to install in my easy go golf cart. But before I go to the trouble of fabbing the mounts and everything, I would first like to freshen it up a bit, and get it running on the bench. Can any of you resident snowmobile heads point me in a direction for parts for this motor? I would like to do rings and gaskets and crank seals. Would also like to switch from the pumper carb to something more conventional like a mikuni? I know this is off topic, but I do drive my cart on the street, so it "kinda" is ok maybe? TIA...

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Try hlsm.com for parts (will likely need to know which sled the engine was originally fitted in, however). As for the carbs, later models were all fitted with Mikuni VM carbs so you shouldn`t have a problem. Is it rotary valve intake?

You can also try sledparts.com

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't have any way to find out what sled it is out of, bought it off evilbay for this project, any chance they can find what I need from the serial and model nos.? Also, any guess as to how many horses it should make? ...

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Is it an old engine? I'm assuming it's air cooled. If it's old I'll guess the HP number at 40....If it's newer maybe a little more. I've been around sleds for 20 years and havn't heard of a 343 Ski-Doo.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
343 is likely the engine code (same as 594 is the one for the 600HO,....). Unless it uses a rotary valve intake system it is most certainly under 40 hp. I believe that particular engine code was used in the 1979 340 Everest and it was rated at 28 hp (we had one of those growing up, with single Mikuni VM30 carb BTW; no oil injection system, 50:1 premix....). I believe it's a fan-cooled engine, likely with points ignition too.....

Perhaps more importantly, however, what sayeth Larry? :)

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mod # 2448409, type 343 bore 2 x 59.5mm, stroke 61mm. Fan cooled, reed valve, points ign. 339 cc. So its probably from the 70s era?...

also, my cart has an old 7hp Kawasaki two stroke in it now (factory) if this motor even makes 20 hp, it would be worth doing the swap right, I mean at 28 hp, it would have four times the power it has now right?...

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
you sure about the reeds? Those old Rotax mills were all piston-port.....

as for tracing the serial number, try looking on some vintage snowmobile sites, they are likely your best chance to trace it back... or try e-mailing the builder Bombardier ....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts