Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm thinking about heading to Road Atlanta next season for the first time and wanted to get your feedback/opinions on the track/facility.

The videos look nice and I'm due for a road trip.

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
pits are paved, elec is free. No garages so bring your ezup.

I like the layout, but dont like how much concrete there is around the track. WERA and DMG racing both use tons of airfence at RA, but none of the trackday orgs do that Im aware of.

That being said, coming over the blind crest of turn 9 while banked over at redline in 6th is one of the best track experiences Ive had :rockon

·
Registered
125 Posts
Did atrack day there a couple of years ago. Love the track. Lots of elevation changes. Long back straight. And what can you say about T12? That 10 ft. high concrete wall 15 ft. off the edge of a 100 mph turn will get your attention. Scary! I think it was Mladin who said it was the most dangerous turn in American roadracing.

Great track! You'll love it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Guys,

I'm thinking about heading to Road Atlanta next season for the first time and wanted to get your feedback/opinions on the track/facility.

The videos look nice and I'm due for a road trip.
Absolutely awesome track, the best I've been to so far. Takes a long time to master as a lot of turns are blind. The only really dangerous turn I remember is the last one, which is fast with a concrete wall on the outside - at least that's how it was in '03.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I thought they changed the last turn to make it safer.... has a little bump in it to get your attention. Or maybe I was just going through it too slow...

·
Street and Track Moderator
3,888 Posts
It's a fantastic facility even though I had the absolute worst crash of my life there in 1993 driving a formula ford. The track has changed quite a bit but it still remains one of the finest road courses in North America.

Matthew

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Like everyone said, great flowing track, many elevation changes and a couple hard to see turns. I love it. The backstretch will test your rev limiter! The facility is ok but NOTHING like Barber, but the track to me is as much fun. I have not been there since 06 and heve not seen the changes to the final turn. There was a noise ordinance limit on Sundays, not sure if it's still in effect, but no sessions till after noon, that's why trackdays are cheaper on Sundays. I need to get back there! Definately worth the trip.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I've been watching this vid.

I never noticed the wall in the final turn before you guys said something.

I tell ya, these tracks are all about compromise. I one went to Roebling Road and someone died there. The final turn was equally as fast but there was no wall. Unfortunately, pit out is in that fast turn and there is paint on the track separating pit out from the turn. Someone ran over the paint and lost it. The bike fell on top of him and that was the very sad end.

Sometimes having a wall is a good reminder to take it easy and ironically there is less likely to be an accident in a turn that we all think is dangerous.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Rd ATL is a big boy track. Like Daytona,very fast with lots of walls. Makes alot of the clubracing tracks,IE: Jennings,Talladega, Roabling, Summit even Barber seem like smaller slower tracks. Very easy to f*** yourself up at Rd Atl.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The videos do not do justice to the elevation changes at that track, especially climbing up out of T1.

The first time I went there, back before the Gravity Cavity was modified, it took me three practice laps just to convince myself to keep the bike wfo down the back straight. After that, I got used to it.

The rise uphill to go underneath the footbridge is a test of skill as well, blind downhill right bending turn that unloads the suspension if you take it wrong. Normally, if you go off there, you don't recover because of run off room.

That said, you will love that track. Go, and you will never regret it and never forget it. :rockon

·
Craft Int Instructor
700 Posts
I've did ever Major track in the US..and most of the smaller ones in the Southeast..Road Atlanta is my favorite!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts