Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine that you are restricted to owning 1 motorcycle.

You can choose new or used*. You can pay no more than $10K.

What would you pick?

*If you choose a used bike, post a link to an online classified listing.

(Absolutely no stories about Mexican RC45s)

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
One for the rest of your life, or one at a time?

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Imagine that you are restricted to owning 1 motorcycle.

You can choose new or used*. You can pay no more than $10K.

What would you pick?

*If you choose a used bike, post a link to an online classified listing.

(Absolutely no stories about Mexican RC45s)
  1. Easy a 2004 KTM 950 Adventure S - GO! model. Ala the first R1 it's the full chocolate thunder not the softened for your pleasure later models. I'm looking for now in fact and it will be my next bike. Love my sportbikes but for absolutely go anywhere do anything and laugh myself silly it's got to be an enduro.
  2. Husky 610e enduro. Exotic as the KTM more capable as it is a single and signficantly lighter and if you think Aprilia's are rare on the road look at Husky's. Exotic enduros don't come much better.
  3. Husaberg 640e (iirc) Supermoto. Rode one of these a few seasons back. You want to ride a true race bike, not race replica, get on one of these and watch your track prowess improve. Stay away from the big tracks and you will have a much more viable alternative to supersports, without the big insurance premium, theft ratio, and if you drop it on the road or track negligible damage.
You didn't think this was going to be just sport bikes did you. :cool:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Probably the R1200GS... '06 or '07 vintage can be had for $10K. Go far go short, city or highway, lure the squids, any road, comfy.

Or

If any leftover '09 Buell Ulysses can be found. The bike rocks.
I like your style sir :notworthy

Same
sfarson is a consumate motorcyclist. He owns a vast cross-section of bike brands and types, from Desmo to F800GS and beyond.

A late-model used R/GS is hard to beat for this scenario.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
My only bike at the moment is a 1990 851, probably one of the most impractical and uncomfortable bikes made in the last 20 years. Parts are getting scarce, and anything 20 years old is going to have a few issues. Since I already have it, for now it will likely remain my only bike.

But say I find myself without the bike and have the itch for another motorcycle. What would I choose?

I could only narrow it down to perhaps a handful of bikes, whichever example I fouind for the right price, in the right location, and in the right condition would mean it would become my "only" bike.

Cheap end (0-$4500)
1996 Triumph Speed Triple (fireball orange)
1995-96 Triumph Super 3
1994 Yamaha GTS1000
1991-94 Kawasaki ZX-7R

Midrange ($4501-7500)
Ducati ST4s
Aprilia Futura
CBR1100XX

Upper end ($7501-10000):
KTM 950 Supermoto
Ducati 888
MV Agusta F4

·
virtually real
143 Posts
That's pretty much the situation I'm in at the moment, owing to our extortionate insurance rates in Manitoba. I have to get rid of the XS850 and I want something newer than the CBR.

I'm leaning toward a ZX-6R at the moment but that will likely change tomorrow and again the day after that :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
"Imagine"? I've only recently been able to have more than one motorcycle. I've been running sport touring bikes for years. They do everything, short of a dual sport ride, just fine for me. Currently riding a 2008 Sprint ST.

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.