Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An absolutely fabulous 5 days out at Laguna Seca. No regrets other than the track needs much better traffic control and better food vendors.

Most excellent what with Ducati nailing the Superbike!

But watching Nicky in the GP hit his marks every darn lap within a few inches was a beautiful example of utter focus. It also brought a tear to the eye seeing him taking a victory lap with the American flag waving at 80 mph. Then, another lap with his dad on the back of the GP bike!

Pretty damn cool.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: OK people, Let's hear your GP reports (Old Fart)

an outstandingly splendid experience. my first time out to watch in person, couldn't have picked a better group of people to go with. had a blast working the island...thanks vicky for squeezing me in

congrats to bostrom (what a wicked R) and hayden for their wins.
the best time was getting out of the parking lot. sunday...the silver neon...three trials...was me

didn't even loose any of the car

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Talk about some good racing. That was my first time at a GP race and I wish I could afford to see every race in person.
The only bad thing that happened was I lost my camra on Ducati island. it sucks because I had some good pictures on it. I guess I have to make up for it at the next race in the US.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I would say I enjoyed the Superbike race as much as anything. EBoz looked like a champion, I have never seen him ride better. The MotoGP bikes are unreal fast, but quite honestly, after about the fourth lap pretty much all the positions were set and it was just a parade for the rest of the laps. I am so used to seeing many passes sometimes each lap, that I was a little disappointed that nothing happened for the majority of the race. It was good to see Nicky that focused, he looked like he was on a mission, and Collin rode great too.

The two ways Laguna Seca told people to enter was not too great. On Sat. morning we tried the route through Fort Ord and was in traffic for miles just on the entry road and then we had to park the car so far away there was a bus to get to the gate. What seems odd is they scan your tickets, not at the people gate, but while you're still in the car and that stops all the traffic and makes the backups unreal. By the end of the weekend, the $200 for a helicopter ride in and out looked like the best deal there.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: OK people, Let's hear your GP reports (Phil 998)

as a whole ,, i , we had a great time watching the races and watching the people
amble by . Wish i had a chance to meet more of you zillas out there ,, but there
will be next year ..
and

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phil 998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> the $200 for a helicopter ride in and out looked like the best deal there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thinking hard now ...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gtoast »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the best time was getting out of the parking lot. sunday...the silver neon...three trials...was me
didn't even loose any of the car </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dooouuuuddddddeeee

that was a most awusm show !!! The silver Magnum bounced hard ,, you could hear it from where we were ,, and that black Honda almost nailed that one car on the road after launching over the berm ... what a tool !!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Good to see E. Bostrom in Ducati win the AMA Superbike Race....
Also, I am happy that the Americans took first and second on GP....
Highlights on Sunday for me was the National Athems....

Btw,
Anyone here see that 999R for $65,000.00

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: OK people, Let's hear your GP reports (team-red)

That was some of the most fun I have had in awhile. The whole experience was great. The superbike race was awesome and being there to see Nicky's first GP was priceless. I wished ducati's GP effort would have been a little better. I am a big troy bayliss fan and I think getting rid of him was the biggest mistake they ever made. That an letting Yamaha get Rossi after he left Honda. I'll do it again next year if I can make it. Simply awesome.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Laguna was amazing! Missed friday's practice because of a slow gxxr rider resulting in a blown tire on the minicooper while raging on 198(the best road i have seen yet!),long story short the weekend was sick! so many bikers everywhere and my first time seeing Laguna was wild. That track is nuts, can't wait to ride it! Sat hung out on ducati island for a bit, then the corkscrew for the race, wow great race. Sun GP race was outrageous, those bikes are so fast, tv does not do them justice. I was up overlooking turn 2 (left hairpin) and man was Hayden fast, saw some great battles for 7th and 8th....also spotted a few funny looking dudes in Section8Superbikes t's so I said hello! Just kidding. I did meet Mr. Pres. Jason near the corkscrew, very cool guy! Tickets go on sale in Sept for next year, can't wait!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I enjoyed the racing, but the atmosphere wasn't as nice as the World Superbike weekends were IMO. The food prices were higher than the already outrageous prices I was used to and traffic was worse than I could have imagined. I actually got a ticket for crossing the double yellow line on the way in Sunday, despite being one of thousands doing it at the instruction of the SCRAMP people directing traffic. BS.

I'm looking forward to next year, but I have a feeling SCRAMP won't fix the traffic issues, which was the worst part of the weekend. I can deal with $4 sodas and $7 hot dogs, but the traffic was just outrageous.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (erik996)

There must be a better way to get people in and out of there.
The first day I came in on Reservation Rd and was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for at least 4 miles. Cops wouldn't let you pass on the left, I even asked one because my 916 was about ready to blow, he stated, "stay in your lane" and then drove off.
They were really chickenshit about it, major power trip. A couple cars came the other way, thats about it. Furthermore, people on bikes have a lot more to do in order to retrieve their tickets at the check point. We should have them encased in plastic and around our necks to get things moving smoother.
There should be dedicated motorcycle lanes, period.
I left early on Saturday to avoid the traffic and missed EBoz take the podium. The next day we used hgwy 68 and came in around 7:15am. That went well except for the fact leather check in on Ducati Island wasn't until 9:00am. After the AMA race Sunday we got in the horrendous line and snaked our way for miles on another two lane road. They had the road to hgwy 68 blocked, there was only two ways out! The experience was the same like on Reservation but this time we said f#%k it and passed over the double yellow and the shoulder. I was hot, the bike was hot. Hundreds of bikes crossed over, it was mass disobedience to the unfair application of the law. Finally, at a T intersection we were sitting there boiling over not going anywhere so I started hitting the horn and so did everyone else. The traffic Cop finally let us go after holding us up for a few cars on the cross street. He was taking his sweet ass time directing traffic and there was only one of them there. What a joke for traffic control. Needless to say I'll be sitting on a couch next time with the A/C on. Later on I loaded up my bike in my trailer and adding insult to injury, my 916 fell over and mashed itself when it hopped out of it's Condor Chock after hitting some famous Santa Cruz pot holes. That place is a dog track. For all of you considering buying the Condor, I would step up and get the Baxley. Condor claims you only need to tie the rear down, thats exactly what I did just to go to a restaurant while heading out of town. I was going to put additional tie downs for the ride home. But when I opened the trailer door and saw my bike on its side, mashed on top of another Condor Chock, I went into shock. I "had" a pristine 95 916. Now it looks like I crashed it.
This is my rant for the year, but if others will chime in about the above, maybe the organizers will do something about it.

Modified by john S. at 10:11 PM 7/13/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: OK people, Let's hear your GP reports (04749s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 04749s »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Dooouuuuddddddeeee

that was a most awusm show !!! The silver Magnum bounced hard ,, you could hear it from where we were ,, and that black Honda almost nailed that one car on the road after launching over the berm ... what a tool !!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

we got out...there were piles of bumpers and other trim pieces off to the side.

it was really cool to have that guy in the black ford holding traffic after going up...twice...once backwards

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: OK people, Let's hear your GP reports (gtoast)

haaa !!! that was cool ,,, but any way ... even after all that , things started
to move at a good clip ,,, we made it out right in front of the silver magnum !!!
had a good laugh all the way to jack n the box !!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: OK people, Let's hear your GP reports (04749s)

I saw the Magnum, don't remember the neon. We went out shortly after that, five guys in a blue Dodge minivan. That was fun....But the rest of the whole traffic situation was a joke. I'll won't go back until they fix it. I even overheard some dude in a scramp shirt talking about what a great job they did with traffic and organization as a whole. Don't hurt yourself patting your own back. We had a race scanner in our group and you learn all sorts of things listening to one of those. For example, we kept hearing reports of volunteers abandoning their posts directing traffic in the parking lots because they couldn't get breaks or replacement personnel. Or that the gate was locked to Barloy canyon road. I didn't hear an official word on whether the gate was locked, but scramp personnel were talking about it on the radio. I do know that traffic didn't move from the parking lot I was in. The guy next to us left right after the MotoGP race and only moved 10 feet in three hours. If the gate was locked, that would explain a whole bunch of traffic problems.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: (john S.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by john S. »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...my 916 fell over and mashed itself when it hopped out of it's Condor Chock after hitting some famous Santa Cruz pot holes... For all of you considering buying the Condor, I would step up and get the Baxley. Condor claims you only need to tie the rear down, thats exactly what I did just to go to a restaurant while heading out of town. I was going to put additional tie downs for the ride home. But when I opened the trailer door and saw my bike on its side, mashed on top of another Condor Chock, I went into shock. I "had" a pristine 95 916. Now it looks like I crashed it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm confused. Did you have tie-downs on the bike or not? Was the chock mounted to the floor, or free-standing? Did you have the Velcro strap around the front wheel?

I can't see how a Baxley would be any more secure than a Condor, all else being equal. They work the same way.

I had my ZRX1100 in the back of my truck, using a free-standing Condor, the front wheel strap, and just a set of ratcheting tie-downs attached to the passenger peg brackets, and I was bouncing over all kinds of stuff on the way back to AZ, and it never missed a beat...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

to miss the crowds i got to the track at 7am both days, and came in on G20. on sat. i drove right in and snaked a reserved parking spot
and on sunday it was busy but moved right along. i think any arrivals post 8:30 on sunday were no fun.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: (duc_748)

I came in on Reservation Road at 6:55 Sunday morning, and traffic was stopped completely about 100' before the entrance to the track (whatever road that is). Not fun.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: (AZ Scott)

I have the trailer chock and yes it was bolted down. Furthermore, I had two rachet tie downs in the back. However, I didn't have the front wheel secured nor the front tied down. Prior to purchasing the Condor another website survey overwhelmingly picked the Baxley, I went with the Condor on the advice of another individual. I also talked to the people at Condor. Up until this point I never trailered the bike without tieing down four points, no problems. As I stated, Condor claims you only need to tie down the rear. Since I was late for dinner and the restaurant was a short drive, I figured I would tie the front down after dinner prior to the 3 1/2 hour ride home. What I learned is you don't do what I did and also tie the front wheel in, as you suggested. I always secured the front tire on my old open trailer, but I never did with the Condor. I can't state for sure as you assumed the two products (Baxley and Condor) are the same because according to Condor, they're not the same. The incident is going to cost me a lot of money, thats all I can say and under the circumstances I was led to believe one thing and the oppisite occurred. I think Condor should change their instructions to reflect what really happens out there: chuck holes, pot holes, speed bumps, etc. My bike was in an enclosed trailer, a trailer sustains more bumps than the back of a pick up truck. That is one advantage of the pick up. The other is the fact you can see shit starting to happen and can do something about it before all hell breaks loose. I had a very small open trailer before, the stress of the road really works on those rachet tie downs, but I could monitor it. All in all, I prefer the enclosed trailer for easy up and out loading and unloading with the ramp door and security for the bike. The one other thing I don't like about small trailers and pick up trucks is the hassle of loading and unloading, especially if your alone.

Modified by john S. at 3:12 AM 7/15/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I loved the track - how beautiful. I wont miss MotoGP as long as it comes to Laguna. Well worth the trip for sure. Vendors were a bit busy - which I guess is a good thing - means that hopefully the track made $$ & will continue long into the future. I had the great experience of getting a bit of posion ivy the morning I left, sunburn about 10min after I arrived there, ran waaaay short of money, waited in line for an hour for a hot dog with no bun (they ran out of both for periods of time) waited in line for more than an hr to get shirts/hats - but good luck wiping the smile off my face. It's still there damn near a week later. I camped so I didnt have to worry much about traffic - just on Sun, so we took showers, naps & relaxed for a long while before even starting packing & leaving. I ended up waiting for <1 hr. Not so bad. BTW - the campgrounds are great - especially after getting used to Brainerd/RA!!

Only issues - it'd be nice to hear the post race/qualif press confrences on the am channel. Not a biggie. Also wish the CA folks knew how to party in the campground ..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: (MATTinMN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MATTinMN »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also wish the CA folks knew how to party in the campground .. </TD></TR></TABLE>

They don't have that any more.
The Kalifornia Konstitution bans partying in any Kamp Ground, under penalty of law! You should have been there in the 80's. There was some partying going on, believe me!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts