Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right, I've been pondering over this for a while, I want to trade my SP2 and get a supermoto. What's the best bang/$ I can get? I've been trying to pick up an insurance write off on the cheap but no joy. I've looked at a KTM 525 thingy and it looks sweet with the wheels on it. Whats the go with getting one thats sold as a dirt bike and converting to road? suspension/wheels (tires a given) gearing etc etc. good brands ver cost. This will be my Sydney traffic buster might even keep the SP if i can.

Cheers
Pete
sorry if repost - too tired to honestly care...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: ok guys, I want a supermoto... (pedroSP2)

Pete,

What type of riding do you expect to do? Street only? Track only? A mix of street and track?

Answers will drive advice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: ok guys, I want a supermoto... (Eric Landstrom)

Generally I like to splat about the streets busting traffic on the way to work. I'd say my riding style is flamboyant. I'd love to take one round the track and would probably use it more that my SP (that i use every day to ride to work on)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I'm not sure what is available to you in Australia, but I know you can get this...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: ok guys, I want a supermoto... (Honda)

How far do you ride to work? Is it on a high speed road?

Avoid the race specific machines, way too much maintenance if you plan on riding daily.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

If you're looking for a bike that can street and track you may want to get into a Husky SM450R or SM510R. E-start is good for the street and if you want to, you can tear it off and lighten the bike up 17 lbs and use the kick starter. Husky's also have a two-year warrentee and are street legal in your neck of the woods and (if my purchase is typical) the 510 was $1800 less than a bone stock KTM SMR.

On the other hand, like the KTM you're looking at you're going to do a lot of fiddly maintenance to the engine if you street the bike everyday.

If you're looking for a lower maintenance SM that rips, then look at the KTM 625 or Husky's SM610.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I've got about 25-30km to work every day and mostly its busting traffic, the SP is just too expensive to run on gas/tires/drops/cars pulling into me etc and at low speeds it just isn't that much fun. If I was looking for say a husky 450 thats a few years old what should i look for in terms of things that go wrong / odd wear and tear.

cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pedroSP2 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've got about 25-30km to work every day and mostly its busting traffic, the SP is just too expensive to run on gas/tires/drops/cars pulling into me etc and at low speeds it just isn't that much fun. If I was looking for say a husky 450 thats a few years old what should i look for in terms of things that go wrong / odd wear and tear.

cheers</TD></TR></TABLE>

You said the "T" word. You don't want something you can race. You need a fan. Look at that KTM 625 or the Husky 610.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'd love to race but there is a lack of $$$. I'd want to blast this thing about the track.. what of all this fiddly engine work you speak of? are we talking lots of oil changes / valve adjustment. am I better aiming for the 450's or the 600+

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

As a general rule, the larger displacement bikes have better service intervals than the 450's (DRZ excluded).

Plus, they're not a "buzzy" at highway speeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts