Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2005 RC51
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to do an oil change and I have some oil left over from previous oil changes.

So here's my question; can I mix oil that has different weight?

Here's what I have;

Repsol:
10w-40
10w-30 fully synthetic
Mobil 1:
10w-40 fully synthetic
Castrol:
5w-40 fully synthetic
10w-50 fully synthetic

So as you can see, I have plenty of oil to do an oil change. All I need is the oil filter as long as I can mix these.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I know times are tough but I've never heard of mixing brands of oil. You might be able to mix the synthetics....a whole gallon of Rotella at walmart is $17.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I suppose you could mix weights if you were so inclined but...

Don't mix brands. The additives are unique between brands and could possibly not mix well creating a sludge build up. So pick one and stick with it.

I was talking to a Master (car) Engine mechanic about engine break in and oil etc and he stressed the above point above all else for long term engine health.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
I have a hard time believing mixing weights or even brands would be detrimental to your engine. Considering many brands are merely contract manufactured in other brands' factories I doubt the chemistry is much different if at all. Say Super Tech (Wal-Mart brand) switches contract manufacturers for their product, they would not ever state this on their packaging even if there were slight differences in chemical makeup.

Mobil 1 for one has made it clear it is OK to mix their synthetic with conventional oil or other brands of synthetic. This is basically inevitable if you ever switch oils anyway, a small amount of old oil stays in the cases during a change.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Not sure exactly how, or if, it applies to four-stroke oil but I know, for example, that for a two-stroke engine oil to be certified TC-W3, it has to be compatible with other TC-W3 oils. I would imagine in this day and age that there must be some similar designation that applies to four-stroke oils too. There are simply too many potential nightmarsih issues (read: liability issues) related to producing an oil that is incompatible with other oils to the point of putting your engine's well-being at risk.... Chemistry has evolved from the days when castor oil was king...

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Mix away as long as they're all moto-specific or moto-compatible oils (i.e. not energy-conseving.) At most , I'd mix synth with synth , and dino with dino but even this isn't critical . It has been done for years especially by racers .

·
Registered
92 Posts
stick with the recommended 10w-40. just buy the difference in qts you need to top the bike off. my .02
+1
In reality everything will PROBABLY be fine if you mixed all of them together and went with that. But the key word is PROBABLY, if it were me I would do as rickroush03 said, it may be more expensive then just mixing all and going with that, but it is a HELL of a lot cheaper then rebuilding an engine in the off chance that they don't mix well. :twocents

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Mix away as long as they're all moto-specific or moto-compatible oils (i.e. not energy-conseving.) At most , I'd mix synth with synth , and dino with dino but even this isn't critical . It has been done for years especially by racers .

+1 with nomo,: with everything except his stating the "moto-specific oils" only...

SAEID.. You CAN mix the oils with NO Problem or fear of engine damage! Lets put it this way.. Your riding your RC51 or anything else for that matter... You're way out in the country and all of a sudden, you notice your oil level IS Low! OMG! You need oil NOW!... What are you going to do,... because NO place in the back woods\sticks has your brand spec. of OIL!?;) Again, I say Mix away without fear!

SAEID:> IF I was you.... the ONLY thing I would DITCH is the 5W... That is, unless you race and rebuild your engine every year or?

I Hope this helps,

Peace Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts