Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have relocated my batteries inboard on the MH, I am looking to relocate the oil cooler up high out of the shooting range of the front wheel.

I found these pics of the oil cooler mounted upside down, is it OK to mount them this way or would it be better the standard way up?

Anyone in the know feel free to give advice please.

This is upsidedown

This is factory

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Many oil cooler manufacturers recommend the orientation of the oil coolers - with the sideway mount (one connection above the other) as the most efficient, followed by the top mount (as per the stock Duc config) and lastly with the upside mount (connections at the bottom)

I don't know the efficiencies reasons for this recommendation, but would think that if you move the cooler up above the motor and have bottom-mount connections, there is a chance that the oil will drain from the cooler back into the sump, and show an oil level that is apparently high when it may really be too low, and, perhaps more importantly, result in a large air pocket in the cooler that the pump will need to fill during each startup of the motor.

I'm not sure these really are a significant factor or not, but I think are worthy of more consideration before you go ahead

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: (Old Baldy)

That location would also block some of the airflow to the rear cylinder, which typically runs hotter as it is. Given that most of the cooling for air-cooled Ducatis comes from actual air...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are mounted in an upsidedown fashion on the older 900ss bikes. Shouldnt be an issue.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (Ducman851)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ducman851 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They are mounted in an upsidedown fashion on the older 900ss bikes. Shouldnt be an issue.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is just an argument, nothing more

Just because they did it in the past doesn't mean it was right

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (section8superbike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by section8superbike »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK, Jason, would YOU mount it as it was or upsidedown?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by section8superbike »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is just an argument, nothing more

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hardly an argument Jason, just an observation. Actually I wouldnt have remembered this but I just disassembled an SS over the weekend and was comparing how it was mounted compared to my Monster

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Was it above the sump, or level/below?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

OK, I started a Pole, my first one ever....

Let the majority have their say!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

You just had to make me go out and look now didnt ya. The SS was under the forward head where as my Monster is above the forward head like Andi wants to do, but the lines feed and return from the top.
I gotta start payin attention.

Disregard my last bit o drivel. Wheres my beer?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I'm going to ned to agree with Old Baldy on this one. I think his conclusions make sense.

That being said sometimes the only way to prove or disprove something is to test. I have found that the bike manufacturers do the same thing. They design something, release it to the public..........and let us test it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by section8superbike »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. I have found that the bike manufacturers do the same thing. They design something, release it to the public..........and let us test it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, they did that with the MH
, this is crash test dummy Andi reporting for today's ripoff.

Hmmm , I don't wonna cause any damage to my motor by putting the cooler up the wrong way but it works a whole lot better for fitting it this way.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Old Baldy »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't know the efficiencies reasons for this recommendation, but would think that if you move the cooler up above the motor and have bottom-mount connections, there is a chance that the oil will drain from the cooler back into the sump, and show an oil level that is apparently high when it may really be too low, and, perhaps more importantly, result in a large air pocket in the cooler that the pump will need to fill during each startup of the motor.

I'm not sure these really are a significant factor or not, but I think are worthy of more consideration before you go ahead
</TD></TR></TABLE>

But your oiling system as a whole has a fixed volume and whether or not the oil drains back is/should be immaterial as the oil cooler being mounted upside down doesn't cause more oil to be made; what I mean is, the oil that was put in, is the oil that's there.
If drainback was a paramount concern, then cars would be screwed, wherein the oil used to lubricate the valvetrain (at the top of the engine) would drain back and give an erroneous oil level reading and we know that not to be an issue, and we even encourage people to take oil level readings first thing in the morning so that they can include any oil that's drained back into the sump from peripheral areas of the engine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Oil Cooler Mounting Question (Monstaman)

Seems cool to me. Without sticking the thing in a wind-tunnel
it's hard to tell how well the air flow is like that.

I'd bet it will work just fine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Oil Cooler Mounting Question (Mental998)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mental998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Without sticking the thing in a wind-tunnel </TD></TR></TABLE>

It is not reallly erodynamic now being that it was the cutting edge face of the 70's and getting worse!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: (hubert)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hubert »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But your oiling system as a whole has a fixed volume and whether or not the oil drains back is/should be immaterial as the oil cooler being mounted upside down doesn't cause more oil to be made; what I mean is, the oil that was put in, is the oil that's there. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Agree ... (as I said in the other post) the only issue would be if the extra crankcase volume of oil (before the oil cooler is filled) would cause start up issues, like the crankshaft hitting the oil, etc.

Pete

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: (PSk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PSk »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Agree ... (as I said in the other post) the only issue would be if the extra crankcase volume of oil (before the oil cooler is filled) would cause start up issues, like the crankshaft hitting the oil, etc.

Pete</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'd have to know the volume of the cooler itself and it's not as if every single drop of oil is going to drain back from the cooler; there's plenty of dead volume that'll be left -- as to the crankcase issue, it's a non-issue, IMO. It'll simply fill the oil filter a little more and will add a little more volume -- the only problem is when you significantly increase crankcase PRESSURE and that would take more voluem, I believe, than what's pumped through the cooler.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hubert »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You'd have to know the volume of the cooler itself and it's not as if every single drop of oil is going to drain back from the cooler; there's plenty of dead volume that'll be left -- as to the crankcase issue, it's a non-issue, IMO.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Good.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It'll simply fill the oil filter a little more and will add a little more volume -- </TD></TR></TABLE>
Er, the oil filter is filled under pressure, ie. usually oil pump, straight to filter then to crank bearings, etc.

Sounds like it will be okay then.
Pete

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: (PSk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PSk »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Er, the oil filter is filled under pressure, ie. usually oil pump, straight to filter then to crank bearings, etc.
Pete</TD></TR></TABLE>

ON a Ducati, the filter is a close to the lowest point of the bike, my point was, it's also available to retain form the drainback. Which is an upshot because having slightly more oil in the filter allows more oil to be present at startup.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

nope

these would be building hot and chilled water air conditioning systems....the systems are closed but can have air from pump cavitation or in hot water from a too high temperture boiler....manual bleeders are standard on these coils but auto-bleeders are available for problem locations....in the case here, the bubbles will cause some foaming and oil singe in the bearings but of all the variables in oil and engine life i don't see much difference....if the issue is front tire debrie consider and nice CF fender that extends a little further down....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts