Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my question is whether it's normal to have a certain level of oil consumption (not outright burning or smoking) on a high milage (60000+) large displacement twin? (ex. vtr)? The bike in question sounds like it has been well maintained and cared for by what sounds like a mature rider. The bike mods are non-poser/squid-like. Just need some well seasoned opinions regarding the matter.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Yes I think it is normal for ANY engine to USE a small amount of oil. A lot depends on maintenance of the bike. If it was properly looked after, 60k miles on a Honda VTR wouldn't scare me a bit.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
It depends on what you consider excessive.

A quart every 2000 miles doesn't seem like that much to me. A quart every 500 might be.

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
Yeah...depends on your definition of "normal" and "excessive." It is perfectly normal for any engine to consume some oil...and with wear, to consume a little more. :)

If it was greater than ~ 1Q / 1000 miles, I would question it...run a compression or leakdown if possible to help determine top-end wear levels.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
My VTR is now reading well over 80,000 miles and hardly burns any at all (never have to add any in between oil changes). Of course, being a big twin, I can ride the torque curve instead of revving it to the moon like on a cammy little V4, for example.....

·
Registered
699 Posts
im at almost 65k and oil stays perfectly level. never had to add a drop between oil changes... i also know that previous owner beat the snot outta the bike (plenty of track, 1000 mile runs, redline here and there)... these things are tanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
My VTR is now reading well over 80,000 miles and hardly burns any at all (never have to add any in between oil changes). Of course, being a big twin, I can ride the torque curve instead of revving it to the moon like on a cammy little V4, for example.....
Your such a wanker, seriously get your hand off it before you go blind!

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I would imagine so (not hard to do with the RC45 toxic seepage-afflicted crowd), but I have Aushole on ignore....

·
2,737 Posts
I would imagine so (not hard to do with the RC45 toxic seepage-afflicted crowd), but I have Aushole on ignore....
In that case as I have Lady Fester on ignore, I'll fill ya in. Aus made a disparaging remark as to holding your willie in your hand. Yet he fails to realise he owns a vintage small displacement touring bike that doesn't make enough power much less ride it enough to use oil.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
ah yes, small minds always resort to the old willie in the hand bit (pun intended), lol Of course, come to think of it, what do you expect from a self-proclaimed lover of "homo specials"....

Oh, btw, did you know Aushole runs a dyno? yessir, so sayeth his Ausholiness.... :p

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Yet he fails to realise he owns a vintage small displacement touring bike that doesn't make enough power much less ride it enough to use oil.
I sure hope it excels at touring as it sucked at everything else.... (like winning WSB titles, for example) :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts