Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know this has been beat to death as far as which oil to use. I am going to switch to Mobil 1 15w-50 after reeading osme of the past posts. Every one keeps refering to Mobil 1 RED CAP. The posts I was reading through are all about 6 months or more old. So maybe things have changed at Mobil. My question to the guys running Mobil 1 is what type are you running? Mobil 1 with a RED CAP Mobil Clean 5000 as it is called now only goes up to 10w-40 The only one that comes in 15w-50 is Mobil 1 Extended Performance it has the gold cap. Is this now what every one who used to run RED cap 15w-50 is using?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Oil change time again (Stel67)

The mobile 1 redcap that everyone used including myself has been discontinued.
Luckily my local walmart still had some left a few months back and i went ahead and bought 2 cases.

When that runs out, and it will be quick, I will use Castrol Syntec SAE 20W-50 http://www.castrol.com/castrol...30793

or Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic 20W-50 http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tro.aspx

either one of these is probably better than the old mobile 1 red cap. The amsoil is a fortune but its awesome oil and a few normal local stores carry it here.

Because I am a cheap bastard Its hard to justify the amsoil other than it is a U.S. company. I have a hard time justifying almost $3.00 more per quart although I may just use it in my bikes only and get the cheaper stuff for my cars. either one is good though but buy U.S. if you can.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Oil change time again (clarkandgrilli)

Ya I hear that, Mobil 1 V-Twin is 8 bucks a quart here...OUCH! I know a lot of guys will say that I am being a cheap ass but that is a bit crazy to me...but I do only use the Honda oil filter :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

yea its a bit insane that an oil change is running $50.00 for the DIY'er. I have actually used a walmart supersyn oil filter in my bike after I read two tests. I use the honda filter now but i never had a problem with the supersyn filter on the street or track and i think it was $2.00
but i dont care much for walmart so I stopped buying them along with all my car/bike products as of late.

I have heard that there are friction modifiers in some of the synthetics out there and that the motorcycle specific oils do not have them so clutch slip should not happen. I have also read countless papers/rants that its a whole lot of crap and the amount of modifiers in the oil are so low it doesnt matter. Just a way to put a premium charge on bike oil buyers because most of us are willing to pay if we believe its better. I think the oil companies pay their marketing guys too much because it seems to be working
maybe i should send them a resume'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I used red cap in the past along with an OEM filter, but now use 15w50 gold cap along with a Purolator filter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

It is still available, just now it is a Tan/Gold cap. They have reformulted it for even better longevity, and now it is EP rated, meaning it is a Diesel rated oil.

Can't get any better than that. Try looking to your automotive stores like AutoZone to find it. DO NOT ever use an ENERGY CONSERVING oil. It will be labeled on the front if it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can get amsoil full synth 10w-40 for $6.00 otd. Oil changes are around $30. What are you guys paying?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Oil change time again (Josh D)

Anyone ever use Shell Rotella T? I used that in my SV and it was super smooooooove.

What about the Repsol oil (synthetic)? Local shop has it for $22 for a 4 liter jug.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Oil change time again (backlash)

Use Rotella Syn in my new Ex500. I have Mobil red cap in the bike right now, but will be switching over to Rotella in the RC next oil change. 15w is a little thick when I live in CT. When it is 70 or so out both bikes shift the same. I little colder than that and the EX shifts better with the 5w Rotella. I will put the rest of my red cap in my old 88 track EX and then shift over to Rotella for everything. I also use purolator filters since the almighty Fram doesn't make the filter for the 88 ex anymore.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Oil change time again (clarkandgrilli)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clarkandgrilli »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The mobile 1 redcap that everyone used including myself has been discontinued.
Luckily my local walmart still had some left a few months back and i went ahead and bought 2 cases.

When that runs out, and it will be quick, I will use Castrol Syntec SAE 20W-50 http://www.castrol.com/castrol...30793

or Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic 20W-50 http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tro.aspx

either one of these is probably better than the old mobile 1 red cap. The amsoil is a fortune but its awesome oil and a few normal local stores carry it here.

Because I am a cheap bastard Its hard to justify the amsoil other than it is a U.S. company. I have a hard time justifying almost $3.00 more per quart although I may just use it in my bikes only and get the cheaper stuff for my cars. either one is good though but buy U.S. if you can.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't have any problems shifting when it is cold out? I would think you would want the thinnest W weight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (703RC51)

The Castrol R4 is not for the frugal. It is 11.99 a liter. And yes, you need 4 liters for a change. This is the stuff I have been using but think I am going to switch to something a little cheaper like the Amsoil next time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I've just been sticking with the hrc synthetic and the honda filter $36 for oil and filter from dealer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Oil change time again (AZ-rc4me)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZ-rc4me »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is still available, just now it is a Tan/Gold cap. They have reformulted it for even better longevity, and now it is EP rated, meaning it is a Diesel rated oil.

Can't get any better than that. Try looking to your automotive stores like AutoZone to find it. DO NOT ever use an ENERGY CONSERVING oil. It will be labeled on the front if it is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No! Stay away from the gold Cap. It is reformulated with some additives that are not so Wet-Clutch friendly.

http://beta.localriders.com/fo...=6738

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Jeremy07)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jeremy07 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Castrol R4 is not for the frugal. It is 11.99 a liter. And yes, you need 4 liters for a change. This is the stuff I have been using but think I am going to switch to something a little cheaper like the Amsoil next time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

$7.49
http://cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?...-4782

5W-40 Though, anybody use this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts