Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '00 Monster 900ie, I've noticed some streaks of oil sneaking past the CF clutch cover and getting onto my footpeg and pipe.
I pulled the cover as well as the clutch springs and plates and will be borrowing the clutch holding tool to remove the nut. There was an oil wetted area on the inner cover where it surrounds the clutch basket. At this point, I'm assuming that I have to pull the 8 bolts that fasten the clutch basket to the drive gear. Once I remove the basket, I'll pull the crankcase cover. My guess is that oil is leaking past the shaft seal in the cover and replacing that will solve the issue? Good guess? The clutch push rod O-rings look like they're in good shape but I guess it's possible that oil is leaking past them into the clutch area. Can that happen? Would be very nice if all I had to do was replace those two O-rings. Thanks for any and all comments.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Oil by the clutch basket - Help! (Spirit)

There is also an o-ring under the hub nut too. It probably isn't the o-rings on the push rod.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Oil by the clutch basket - Help! (Phil 998)

I agree...do the o-rings on the push rod last...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just had similar issue on 748, there are 3 seals in the back of the clutch. Had all 3 changed because did not want return visit. Cost me nothing at all, like $100-150.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

check the small pushrod seal at the end of the shaft on the clutch side. It's a small black seal. If it goes, oil will weep out as the pushrod travels in and out. Had it happen on my 996 and Marty916 pointed me in the right direction.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Oil by the clutch basket - Help! (Neil996S)

Thanks very much for the ideas. Earlier today, I purchased the main large seal (~3" Dia.) and the two O-rings on the clutch push rod (since the rod came out with the clutch end plate). The large seal was just over $24 and the small O-rings were less than 50 cents. The small O-rings are easy to do but getting the large one installed and nicely aligned might be tough. I've heard from a buddy that it's a bit scary placing the outer case cover with that seal back over the shaft. Easy to deform or tear it.
I also borrowed his Haynes manual to see what else is going on in there. <probably should insert a
here for a reminder to myself>
Neil996S, I'm not sure which seal you are referring to. My understanding is that once you are into the actual clutch, everything is "dry" there.
I'll start the effort tomorrow night after work and report how it goes. Hopefully won't have to use the
emotitons

Again, thanks for the comments!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Spirit, the seal I'm referring to is at the end of the shaft that the pushrod passes through on the clutch side. You should have a black seal around the pushrod where the pushrod exists the main shaft. Behind that is a needbearing the pushrod rides on. Do you have a seal there as I described? They've been known to come out and if you have a vented cover they'll make it out while your riding. Mine was gone. If the large seal doesn't do the trick, look at the smaller seal.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Neil, I just pulled off the large clutch nut and the 8 bolts holding on the basket. I'll check for that seal that you mentioned. Would be really nice if that was it as the main cover appears to be glued on
Not sure if it is that way from the factory but perhaps the previous owner had it apart. The gasket sealer looks silver in color, similar to Yamabond. Going to take some creative work if that cover has to come off. More later... Again, thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

OK, just checked for the seal on the end of the large shaft that the clutch pushrod runs through. It's there, it does not look damaged, but the fit of it around the clutch pushrod is very poor; lots of free play as if the seal is well worn (bike has ~6K miles on it). Neil, has it been your experience that engine oil will come out from around the clutch pushrod when that seal is missing?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yes, it will leak past the seal if it's worn or missing. If the needle bearing behind the seal fails the rod will run out of round and eventually ruin the small seal. That's what happend to my 996. I replaced the large seal first and then realized that there was supposed to be a small seal in the end of the shaft (thanks to Marty916). If the needle bearing is bad you'll see a lot of lateral movement with the pushrod.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Very good info, Neil. Thanks! I'm going to try replacing just that small seal first and pray(!) that resolves the issue. I tried prying the cover off and it is really stuck on there. Will pick up the new seal tomorrow if they have it in stock and give it a shot. I'll definitely let you know how it turns out.

Modified by Spirit at 6:08 PM 6/22/2005

1 - 11 of 11 Posts