Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does over pressurized case cause oil and gunk to push into the starter? it actually released some pressure when taking the starter out.... and why would oil bust into the starter ? tha't how mine got gunked and killed ?

Is there a mod or something to pay attention to for rebuild or new starter bolt up?

Modified by throttlehead at 12:02 AM 7/19/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: oil backed into starter and killed it (throttlehead)

I can't give you info as to why there is pressure buildup. Is the breather ok? It's just a reed valve with a small drainback hole in it. Aaah! might wanna check that breather!

Can't you just clean out the starter, reassemble with a new seal and run it? I think the field is permanent magnet. Oil won't hurt the magnets. The planetary drives are typically grease lubed.

Contact cleaner on the armature and brush assembly? Soak it down and keep squirting the oil out of it. Finally you can use a very heavy detergent and spray it out. Be sure to bake the armature at 200 for several hours in your wife's oven to dry the moisture out. (Been there done that and was killed for it.)

It's a simple and cheap fix. After all, whacha got to lose....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: oil backed into starter and killed it (Old Fart)

that is hilarious.............hope you lived though it

i made the time frame move for me and dealt out money for a used starter....i'll rebuild to perfect this one........it was just a time problem...24 miles and pressure in the case and oil/slude in the starter...what does that mean? still looking for a knowledgable answer

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

First thing I woulddo is check teh crank case breather on the back of the engine, right hand side behind the rear cylinder, check that is breathing first, then work up the line to the airbox to make sure it is free of any obstructions.

Lectra clean would be good to clean your starter if you can get it, nothing to lose by doing that.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (jayhunter)

thanks for the point....got one last night......a forum/zilla call...didn't recognize number...aswered anyway...."hey i've got your starter" paypal and 30 minutes later i've got tracking number and overnight shipping

now lets see if it shows

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

You probably dont want to hear this but it sounds to me like compression from the cylinders is leaking into the crankcase area of the engine. That would push oil out any hole it could find. Better start watching that crankcase breather on the back of the engine for leaking oil, because it will release oil all over your rear tire. Not a good thing when you are riding. And maybe do a search about all the 998`s that ducati was exchanging engines or complete bikes about a year or so ago.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: oil backed into starter and killed it (DUCNOMORE)

great!!!!! i knew things where going to get better !

not only that great news....but my overnighted started got left by UPS at there station and didn't even make it to my state today

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Contact Monster Man throttle, it would be worth your while!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts