Speedzilla Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts
So, the question is not.....whether the four cylinder 1000cc motor is an inherently more race-worthy motor than the larger twin (it clearly DOES have a power advantage), but RATHER.......do we acknowledge that there are benefits to having higher-torque, larger motors in our street bikes.

Remember, this formula is NOT meant for full-on racing prototypes (that is MotoGP).....it is meant to allow DIFFERENT types of street based bikes to compete against each other without inherent advantage to one of the other configuration.

Personally, I would be PISSED if Ducati ever went the route of going to a smaller, lower torque, higher horsepower four cylinder that makes LESS power from idle to 10000 RPM than their big, sporty twins. For what? To win races in W/SBK? Yeah, so? I must ride a bike with LESS power on the street, to say I ride a W/SBK winner?

So ****ing what? That is a SQUIDLY view....give me that EXTRA 60 HP at 8000 RPM that the 1098R has over the Desmosedici at 8000 RPM, compared to the 13 HP advantage the Desmosedici has over the 1098R at 13800 RPM....any day of the week. Someone who thinks +13HP at 13800 RPM is better than +60HP at 8000 RPM for their street bike is an idiot.
Good points and I can see why you commented that I do not understand the reason for W/SBK racing.

Personally if you need to play with the equality rules to make the racing interesting (more even), you do NOT have racing ... so to me now there seems to be no point to W/SBK racing, as you are not winning due to your bike being superior you are winning because your bike PLUS some concessions are superior.

Basically in the modern world the difference between a race bike and a street bike have become so wide that you can't win on Saturday and ride to work on Monday on the same bike ... thus the time for W/SBK racing has come to an end, just like touring car racing has died.

No point continuing if the winners are really decided by "who can get the most rule concessions at the beginning of the season" ...
Pete

Good points and I can see why you commented that I do not understand the reason for W/SBK racing.

Personally if you need to play with the equality rules to make the racing interesting (more even), you do NOT have racing ... so to me now there seems to be no point to W/SBK racing, as you are not winning due to your bike being superior you are winning because your bike PLUS some concessions are superior.

Basically in the modern world the difference between a race bike and a street bike have become so wide that you can't win on Saturday and ride to work on Monday on the same bike ... thus the time for W/SBK racing has come to an end, just like touring car racing has died.

No point continuing if the winners are really decided by "who can get the most rule concessions at the beginning of the season" ...
Pete
Oh, I don't know that I agree with that....I think the street-bike based W/SBK has been MUCH more interesting than the prototype MotoGP racing the last few seasons. We had Ducati V-twin dominating, then Yamaha R1, then Aprilia V4. Nice mix...of very different motors. I think the formula is pretty fairly even at the current time. The twins CLEARLY don;t have the advantage, but they are right there...challenging for the lead, and I would say the lack of Ducati factory competitiveness this season has much more to do with Tardozzi's departure to BMW (as proven by Checa's competitiveness. Remember, without the highly unusual double DNF while comfortably leading BOTH races, Checa would have had another 50 points, and challenging Haslam for 2nd place in the Championship on a private Ducati twin. (and Max would have had 10 less points that he inherited from the Checa double DNF.)
Yeah, too many "ifs, ands and buts" ...but clearly the Ducati issue has been the factory team prep not up to standard this year. That doesn;t mean the twin is not competitive as a platform. They just ****ed it up. It's a good formula. And good racing, IMO.

That doesn;t mean the twin is not competitive as a platform. They just ****ed it up. It's a good formula. And good racing, IMO.
My old friend blowing on his soup speaks the truth... but that begs the
question... could a 1000cc Ducati V4 inspired by the success of MotoGp be more
competitive as a platform???

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.