Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fortunately, it's not a "what's the best oil for my bike" question. I was riding around today for a few hours. The weather has been quite hot here, in the 30 degrees celsius area (that's in the 80s in degrees farenheit). Anyways, everything seemed to be running normally, until I got stuck in traffic on the way home. The temp reading on the bike was at a steady 106-107 (about 223 farenheit) for quite some time, until I was able to start moving again. I noticed though, that after it had stayed that hot for so long, the shifting seemed to get pretty harsh and clunky.

I'm using just regular dino oil, the Honda stuff, 10W30 (I think? can't remember.. It would be whatever it says to use in the manual anyway). It's been in there for only about 1000kms, but it's been a few months. Haven't been able to ride much lately.. Do you guys suppose it's possible that the oil has degraded from thermal breakdown due to the high temps? Who knows how hot the oil tempuratures were... I'm planning to change it anyways, but just curious if maybe anyone else has experienced this.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Yeah , I wouldn't use 10/30 , too thin , use at least a 10/40 . You didn't mention your location , which is important to consider when choosing oil , since I've experienced that a 15 or 20 /50 can take a long time to warm up on those cold October mornings , resulting in shift notchiness . But if low temps aren't an issue then go for a W50 . Up here in Canada , this year I'm using Rotella 15W40 , an excellent dino oil for diesels which just received JASO-MA certification b/c its ash content was lowered .

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Honda is pissing off even more people by imposing their (Castrol-developed) 10W-30 junk to dealers.
Do yourself AND your bike a favor and throw away that **** at the first occasion. Put in some 10W-40 or 15W-50 and that's it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mean that the Honda oil is basically just castrol? Shit, I'll definitely switch to something else then.

Yeah, forgot to mention I am in Canada (Vancouver), so this hot weather is not normal for us. It'll probably be gone soon. Maybe I'll just switch to 10W40 then, since the summer is coming to an end fairly soon. One of the mechanics at a local honda dealer was telling me to not use the synthetic blends or full synthetics, cause over time it will put a coating on the clutch discs and cause them to slip. He recommended to just use regular oil for that reason. I would have just used Motul 5100 10W40, which is what I used in other bikes (with no problems). At least I know a synthetic oil is less likely break down due to heat. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Can Afford To Be Critical
1,852 Posts
One of the mechanics at a local honda dealer was telling me to not use the synthetic blends or full synthetics, cause over time it will put a coating on the clutch discs and cause them to slip.
That's a crock. I've used synthetic oil for 45,000 km in my RC51. :banghead Where were you - Carter Honda?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Full synthetics and blends are fine (after break-in of approx. 5000km) no matter what sh!t "mechanics" still claim . Try the Rotella I mentioned ; it rivals some synths for protection and longevity and is only $5/L .:rockon

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
That's a HUGE Crock Shite!. I've used synthetic oil for 45,000 km in my RC51. :banghead Where were you - Carter Honda?
Hey BC999s, I fixed that for you, and +1... :D

+1 with nomo about the "Rotella" EXCEPT for this statement:>>>------> "it rivals some synths for protection and longevity" in a Car,Truck or Van maybe...? But,.. I do NOT believe for a second, "ANY regular dino oil, run in a MC: where the engine oil is being shared to lube the transmission"> will ever come close to the Protection and longevity of a Full synthetic oil, No way, No how!;)

And it is for this reason, while "I" use 10W-40 Castrol GTX on a regular basics.... BUT, when I know I'm going to be doing a LONG MC-Trip-Vacation = (^_^)
This is when and ONLY when, "I'll run My favorite Full Synthetic oil", which "My" preffered full Synthetic:> "I" use is MOBIL 1 15W-50: Mobil 1 is Great stuff!:twocents ... And after said long MC-Vacation has ended,... She'll(MC) have the black gold drained and I'll now install "My" favorite dino oil:> Castrol GTX 10W-40 for my normal everyday grind.;)

Any questions, fire away,

Peace Jeff

PS. OPPS! I also most forgot, your question about Oil & HEAT here:>"Do you guys suppose it's possible that the oil has degraded from thermal breakdown due to the high temps?"
And to answer your question here, the answer is YES, High temps Definitely break down any and ALL oils, especially dino oils, they break down much faster then FULL synthetics do, then throw in these oils having to lube our transmission's gears and the break down, "Correct term" is: shearing of oil molecules via transmission gears is Higher yet again!;)
I Hope this Helps,

·
Registered
947 Posts
save your money by filling up the crank case with water. it never breaks down with heat

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Mav , you're full of sh!t like usual .:p Just kidding bro . A while ago when researching oil for my RC , I read quite a few reports and oil analyses indicating the shear stability of Rotella dino vs. some (not all) full-synth oils and it held up very well especially when it's changed at < 5K mile intervals like most of us do . It's designed to run in the extreme heat and load of diesels for extended periods so I think it can handle the stresses of a moto tranny for at least 5K miles . You admit to using GTX 10/40 most of the time and the Rotella is way better quality than that 'crap.' Yup ... another "my oil is best" thread:eek: .

Btw Mav , what's with your "style" of post lately , with all the %@56$^^^ >>> :wtf . I get dizzy reading ! Are you drinking the 10/40 ?!

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Mav , you're full of sh!t like usual . Just kidding bro . A while ago when researching oil for my RC , I read quite a few reports and oil analyses indicating the shear stability of Rotella dino vs. some (not all) full-synth oils and it held up very well especially when it's changed at < 5K mile intervals like most of us do . It's designed to run in the extreme heat and load of diesels for extended periods so I think it can handle the stresses of a moto tranny for at least 5K miles . You admit to using GTX 10/40 most of the time and the Rotella is way better quality than that 'crap.' Yup ... another "my oil is best" thread.

Btw Mav , what's with your "style" of post lately , with all the %@56$^^^ >>> . I get dizzy reading ! Are you drinking the 10/40 ?!
Hey nomo, You're a funny man,
Really?! Most of us go 5,000 miles before doing Oil Changes?:eek: In my wifes "Car" maybe I'll go 5,000 miles, worse case... but NEVER Ever in any of my motorcycles!
You might want to check your research again...;) Everything I have ever read says 1,500 miles the "Viscosity", on most oils, is already Cut in Half! :eek:

Funny thing is, even IF I never checked my mileage,.. I would know when I was around this many miles on my RC51.... because usually after 1500+\-100 miles, I'll notice just alittle differance in shifting = for me, time for an Oil change.

FWIW: No matter what oil I use in My MCs, I try to NOT go any longer then 1,500 miles between oil changes. Most of time, I change my engine Oil under 1,000miles, which is why I use the dino Oil on a regular basics... ONLY time I go longer, is when I'm away on a MC trip but I rarely go so long before a Oil change..:)

About you getting dizzy reading what I write.. I don't get it.:confused: .. HUMMMmm You might want to get a Doc. to check You out... Low blood pressure maybe...? :p

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Most of the time you change your oil under 1000 miles ?!:eek: Are you on track mostly ? B/c that seems excessive to me , even anal , these aren't V4's after all :woot: . I stated < 5000 just to include the majority of riders (and actually had in mind other bikes besides the '51 , like tourers , although I am indeed in the '51 forum) in an effort to make clear my opinion that the Rotella dino is great for all bikes . Of course most of us change the oil well under 5K miles , but I would very much doubt that any engine damage would result if a high quality oil like Rot were used in a street RC for that long . Oil companies must love you . And I didn't get dizzy this time b/c your post was legible :p .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a crock. I've used synthetic oil for 45,000 km in my RC51. :banghead Where were you - Carter Honda?

Ah, from the lower mainland eh? No, it wasn't Carter Honda.. I don't really want to name names here, but let's just say it was the Center of Honda dealers.

Anyways, thanks for all the help and advice guys. I ended up doing research and reading for like 3 hours (I guess that means I have no life!). I ended up doing an oil change with Mobil 1 MX4T 10W40. Now the engine seems to rev smoother and the shifting has gone back to perfect again. I don't know, it's probably all in my head, but I think it runs better. Nothing's too good for my RC!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts