Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Off-Road tires for 17" wheels? (slyde)

I went through this way back when I had my KTM.

Basically your only hope is to get the widest 17" knobbies you can & hope they fit your rims. I seem to recall that the ones I found were all fronts, but I found a pretty wide one that I thought might work on the KTM's 4.25" rear rim. I believe that BMW has an "enduro" style bike that has a 17" front rim, I think that Michelin, continental, cheng-shen & maybe some of the other "off brand" mfg's. have 17" "knobbies", but again, they're all fronts, & using one on the rear will probably wear quickly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Off-Road tires for 17" wheels? (slyde)

Why would you want to do this? There is a reason MX bikes have 21" and 18/19" wheels.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Off-Road tires for 17" wheels? (chriscap)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chriscap »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would you want to do this? There is a reason MX bikes have 21" and 18/19" wheels.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My guess is he has the same reason I considered it:

A set of tires is a whole lot cheaper than a set of wheels & tires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Off-Road tires for 17" wheels? (Jacka$$)

for the back

Metzeler Caroo 150/70R17M/CTL 69RM+S MCEKAR

http://www.metzelermoto.com/en...KAROO

for the front

try Pirelli MT21 they do have one for 17inch rim 120/70 i think. Unfortunalty they dont make a rear so the only option is to use a metzeler and pirelli

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I'd imagine that 17" on dirt will work about as bad as sport moto tires on pavement. You'd try it a few time and then wish you had the other wheel... unless your Lobster, who just likes to crash.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chriscap »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd imagine that 17" on dirt will work about as bad as sport moto tires on pavement.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why do you think I sold the KTM & bought a WR450?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Now we just need to get you a set of 17" for the WR!!!!

BTW, are you coming over to help for our first race? We sure could use you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Tell me about it, not to mention brakes & a set of sausage casings... I mean leathers.

Barring disaster, I should be there. The august event is too far off to say for sure yet, though I do know I won't be at the Oct 30th, as I'm in a wedding the night before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts