Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was kind of interesting:

At 12:30 PM last Friday, 26 year old rookie off-duty police officer, Marilyn Rentas, ran over 72 year old retired judge and former NY state senator, Paul Bookson, while riding her motorcycle in Brooklyn, New York. Bookson, who was struck while attempting to cross a busy street in downtown Brooklyn, died in the hospital 9 hours later from the injuries he sustained which included massive head trauma, broken legs and internal bleeding. Officer Rentas was issued a summons for driving with a learner's permit instead of a license.

The officer reportedly won't be facing any additional charges other than driving without a license because the incident was ruled to be an accident.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
That sucks.

bsess said:
I thought this was kind of interesting:

Officer Rentas was issued a summons for driving with a learner's permit instead of a license.

The officer reportedly won't be facing any additional charges other than driving without a license because the incident was ruled to be an accident.

I don't get it. What's wrong with riding a motorcycle with a learner's permit?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I am confused. You can't drive with a permit?

I thought the whole point of the permit was to let you ride on the street while you learn. I know it has limitations like you shuold not drive at night and all that jazz, but what summons are they exactly talking bout?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jbraslins said:
I am confused. You can't drive with a permit?

I thought the whole point of the permit was to let you ride on the street while you learn. I know it has limitations like you shuold not drive at night and all that jazz, but what summons are they exactly talking bout?
I am not familiar with the laws in other states but in New York, you areallowed ride with a permit only if accompanied by a licensed motorcyclist who is riding with you on another bike or in a car.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yup, it sounds to me like she was out without a "trainer". I forget now what the issue was (because I always wear helmet) but when PA got rid of their helmet law their was some proviso that people who took MSF could ride without while people not having done MSF needed to wear (crazy huh?) seemed like MSF classes were getting booked to the gills after that as alot of PA riders had just been getting extension after extension on their permits and not bothering to actually get the proper letters on theirs DL's . . . until it involved their freedom to ride stupid.

·
Anger managment patient
3,474 Posts
Had she been a veteran officer it would have been vehicular homicide no doubt. But that does suck. Doesn't say how banged up she was. I saw a guy (squid)(Baltimore City summer 2k) slam a young woman (17 pregnant) which sent her about a block down the street (North-Wolfe to North-Montford). Split her open somethin terrible dislodging the featus and killing him on impact. The unigue sound was something I will never forget. The ridder next to him (his brother) slowed (watching the ridder do that ragdoll roll) then took off to hide. His bike was found covered in viseral fluid. Once caught he stated he was fearing for his life. He thought the crowd would have killed him. He was charged in connection to her death.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Rocket51 said:
A Judge? Why couldn't it have been a Lawyer!? :D
woho!!! i am a rider too!!!:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts