Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Bikes been off the road for seven weeks while the forks were serviced, and now I've reinstalled them the steering feels odd at slow speed.

The only way I can describe it, is it feels a bit like the front tyre is flat, and I have to constantly correct to hold a straight line.

This was my first test ride since re installing the forks, and had a quick once over when I got back. I set the forks at the standard height (one ring from the top) suspension settings have all been checked and are all ok. The only thing I missed was putting the brake hoses in the clips on the front mud guard.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
More information??? Other than fork work has it been down/crash? Old/high mileage tires with a flat spot? Change any other settings? Rear wheel adjustment?? Chain too tight??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More information??? Other than fork work has it been down/crash? Old/high mileage tires with a flat spot? Change any other settings? Rear wheel adjustment?? Chain too tight??
The bike has never been crashed, tyres are fairly new (Avon Vyper Extreem's) nothing else has been adjusted since the forks were removed other than a slight adjustment of the chain.

Will double check the chain tension and rear wheel adjustment.

johnyisthedevil: I changed the head bearings last year, so they are all fine. I also dont run a steering damper....I dont see the point of makeing a bike sharp steering, then dialing it out with a damper, seems self defeating to me but thats another story :D

Someone has suggested that maybe my tyre pressures are a bit low for street use? Tyre pressures are 32 psi rear and 30 front

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Idiotic question: have you checked if both fork tubes are equally aligned on the top yoke?
Also: have you dropped the forks? If so by how much?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Idiotic question: have you checked if both fork tubes are equally aligned on the top yoke?
Also: have you dropped the forks? If so by how much?
Both forks are aligned (not a stupid question :D ) I did initially drop both the forks onto the stopper circlips to quicken up the steering, but have just put them back to the standard setting (one ring from the top), though I've yet to test this as its throwing it down with rain here in the UK at the mo :(

·
Registered
165 Posts
Try bumping the tire psi to at least 34 psi front and rear! I've gone down to 32psi front and rear (dunlops) and the bike felt exactly how you describe! I currently run 34 or 36 psi front and rear depending on weather conditions!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just put some more air in now and as we now have a break in the rain, Im gonna take her for a short ride......

:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
35 psi front 36 rear, seems to have pretty much dialed out the vague steering, though there is still a tiny hint of vagueness at very slow speeds......but I can live with that!

Cheers for all the pointers chaps :notworthy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts