Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took these pics yesterday of my 99 VTR1000F Firestorm. Down about 60 lb from stock, it is pumping out just shy of 120 hp at the rear wheel with 75 lb-ft (on an engine with over 80,000 iles on the odometer). Some ofd the mods: Akrapovic exhaust (ceramic coated full system), CBR900RR fork (with GV kit, Ohlins springs, and Ontario Moto Tech triples), PVM cast mag wheels (with ceramic bearings), EBC 320 mm front rotors (mated to 98 CBR900RR calipers with Vesrah RJL pads, 2006 ZX-6R radial MC), ligthened flywheel, Yoshimura Stage 1 cams, ported and decked heads, braced swingarm, modded rear shock (GV kit, lighter spring, remote reservoir added, now have high and low-speed comp. ajustment), OS oil cooler, CNC machined shifter with needle bearing, Dynojet kit, Flo-Commander, custom billet velocity stacks, modded airbox, HRC 1/6 turn throttle, Hyperplates, machined rear rotor, numerous Al and Ti bolts, Sargent seat, Cameleon chain oiler, 2Bros exhaust mounts, Graves alum. fairing stay, 520 chain/sprocket kit, FP Detent arm kit, Shindy/Daytona steering damper, tapered roller steering bearings, Pazzo levers, Easter Beaver headlight relay kit with Hella 100/55W bulb, braided lines all around, undertail, CF front fender (Triumph Speed Triple model), manual CCTs, frame sliders, race gas cap.... anyhow, you get the idea :)

Will be rebuilding the engine in the coming months, adding (new) DLC coated valves and tappets, DLC coated piston pins, 0.5 mm oversize JE pistons (with moly skirt coat and ceramic top coat), ceramic transmission bearings (those I can get), custom Carrillo rods, all capped off with a dynamic crank balance.... Shooting for mid-130 hp and mid-80s in torque....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks gents :)

BTW, she's a runner now but I am REALLY looking forward to having the engine rebuilt with the new parts...... woohoo.....

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Aesthetics was always secondary to the underlying goal of making it run better (in all aspects, from acceleration to braking, to comfort and handling; if I was obsessed solely with looks, I'd likely be riding a Hog, lol). That being said, I am happy with the looks.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
^ Don't believe everything you hear . Kind of like how "I4 droner" has , by some kind of magic , now become the very same thing as a V4 .:D

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trust me, I put no stock into the Delusional One says (or most of it anyhow, as he does seem to be a very skilled machinist) or his penpal either. I have ridden enough bikes to know a good thing and my VTR is a very good thing. A sleeper of sorts, which is just the way I like it :)

P.S. I am looking forward to the post-rebuild period where the "Pedestrian" will be belching out mid-130s bhp and mid-80s lb-ft. Combined with a wet weight very close to 400 lbs, it'll be a smile generator (it already is with about 15 hp and 10 lb-ft less than that) :)

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Too bad the bike is so reliable you can't bring yourself to tear into it yet ! We should all have such problems .:)

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, you hit the nail right on the head. It runs sweeeeeeeeeeeet. Despite having over 130,000 km on the clock, it fires up instantly no matter how cold it is (and I do live in Montreal, after all), burns no oil and is über-responsive (the roll-on torque makes me giddy; anyone who thinks all VTRs are "pedestrian" would be in for a massive wake-up...). It will get a rebuild regardless in the near future as I can`t have all those neat new parts staring back at me forever.... "lead me not into temptation..." lol

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Amazing . This is why I have at least one Honda at all times . Big Red can be maddeningly conservative , but fortunately this often translates into bikes which are overbuilt for reliability . You should try to hit 160,000KM (nice round #) this season , then rip it apart during winter . Next Spring you can visit a HOG BBQ and explain that at the 100,000 mile mark you upgraded (can't even say "rebuilt") the mill even though it didn't need it !:eek:

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only way I would care to vist a Hog BBQ is with a D10 bulldozer or M1 tank.....:rockon

·
Trailing Member
151 Posts
I'm impressed! I find it tastfully understated and elegant. It says " there's more here than meets the eye " to the viewer. For me the colours work really well together. Tks for the pics:rockon

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. The effect you describe is precisely the one I am seeking :)

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
The bike is too nice , therefore I simply must find a problem ... mmm ... got it . You should've placed the HRC sticker parallel to and above the FireStorm sticker . Sorry , it had to be said .:p

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Damn!!!! I was hoping no one would catch that! Damn you, Nomo!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts