Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought another Aprilia today. I mainly got it for my wife and kids to learn on, but this thing is a BLAST. i can't stop riding it, makes me feel likea 125 GP racer. It's a 1999 Aprilia RS50 with a 70cc big bore kit, carbs, full arrow exhaust. Really glad i bought it, think it will be great weekend toy to teach the wife how to ride.:) Will post more pics tomorrow after i go through it and clean it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I saw a build, I think on SMJ, where the 50cc was pulled and replaced with a 450mx motor. That would be a seriously fun toy. I have had some fun with bored small liquid cooled 2 strokes. They are lots of fun. Cool buy.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Never ridden an RS50 but had the livving poop scared out of me on a street legal RS250 that I rode one time.

Purchased and housed it for a friend of mine (and fellow Rc51 owner) who lived out of state until he could come get it. During the test drive I remember how mild it felt driving around (below 8k) and then I ahd the eye-eopening experience of whacking the throttle open at around 9k and remember the front wheel instantly going vertical.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You're my hero, dude. I had a chance to buy the 250 version before I bought the RC. It had been converted for street use by a guy in Vermont. Kind of kicking myself now due to the recent unpleasantness.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never ridden an RS50 but had the livving poop scared out of me on a street legal RS250 that I rode one time.

Purchased and housed it for a friend of mine (and fellow Rc51 owner) who lived out of state until he could come get it. During the test drive I remember how mild it felt driving around (below 8k) and then I ahd the eye-eopening experience of whacking the throttle open at around 9k and remember the front wheel instantly going vertical.
That is awesome, now i REALLY want a RS125 or 250, these things are a blast and surprisingly fast for 70cc. Got mine up to 60 pretty easily. on the RS50, its sluggish until it hits 5000 RPM then just takes off like a rocket.

:D Sounds like a lot of fun. I used to obsess about those a fair amount. I've seen some incredible 500cc 2 stroke street legal GP replica/inspired machines for sale here: Rare SportBikes For Sale
There was an RS250 on there with over 100hp (500cc engine) that was pretty astonishing.

This'll get you drooling:
Rare SportBikes For Sale » Blog Archive » Eur-asian Mix: Aprilia RS250/ Yamaha RZ500 Hybrid
Rare SportBikes For Sale » Blog Archive » Race Replica Nirvana: 1991 YZR500 Replica (RZ500)…..And It’s Legal!
Rare SportBikes For Sale » Blog Archive » Best Replica Yet? Mick Costin Yamaha RZ500/YZR500 Marlboro Replica
I love that site, so many awesome machines. i saw a Agostini Yamaha OW23 replica on there.....some really awesome bikes on there.

You're my hero, dude. I had a chance to buy the 250 version before I bought the RC. It had been converted for street use by a guy in Vermont. Kind of kicking myself now due to the recent unpleasantness.
Yeah all the Aprilia 2 strokes are really rare here in the US. The 250 Cup bikes are in demand and can fetch a good price too. I've seen some go for 7-8000. apparently there was less then 1500 RS50 brought to the US which is kind of cool, didn't know it was that rare here. In Europe they area dime a dozen.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Neet !!!

Great looking bike. Awesome purchase pal, enjoy !!!:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
That is definitely something to hang on to. A good friend of mine that I did pit work for ran the aprilia cup on the rs250. Those things were(are) really cool. Came with everything to almost rebuild the whole bike. He got his ass handed to him all season by Anne Yates(Aaron's sister)! I never rode the 50 but I bet it is a blast.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thats pretty cool. Yeah i'll hold onto this one. They are actually pretty hard to find here in the states, and i love this particular generation. Looks the best to me. Bought a ton of parts for it to get it setup and am AMAZED how cheap everything is. Aftermarket stuff is hard to find in the US. Anyway i bought braided front and rear brake lines, new pads, a Race Tech performance fork Spring kit, and a bunch of smaller items for under 400 USD. And a Bitubo shock for about 400.....So 1500 for the bike, and another 1000 to tune it up and it will be a SICK little trackday toy. Current gearing and mods will get it up to about 75 MPH. So damn cheap and i can't get over it. Wish i would have bought a few smaller 2 stroke Aprilias awhile ago.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Unlike basically every big sportbike made in the last 20 years, you can take that little bike and ride the ever-livin snot out of it without being too far over the speed limit.

To get that same sensation of asking for 100% of what it can give you on a bike like the S1000RR, you are either insane or seriously skilled.

The old cliche "smiles per mile" seems to apply to the little RS for sure. Have fun on that thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.