Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1982 CM250 C! I really wanted a smaller CB for the longest time but a co-worker had this collecting dust in his garage so I picked it up for 200 bucks. Last time it was one the road was 1996.

Should be pretty fun to ride to local meets or bang around town on...something I never do on the RC

First pic is when I picked it up

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

The handle bars are pro-taper dirt bike bars.

I'm not really sure what its going to be LOL. Cafe/Bobber/Flat Tracker? The seat will just be a pan seat with a "trailer" style rear fender.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Chop it and Stroke it! ;)

JK, looks great but Im wondering what tires you put on there and is that black paint on the wheels/spokes?

Stunna

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More pics!

Stunna, The tires are Shinko. Cheap! And the wheels are rattle canned as is the tank. Again Cheap! Its a low budget build.

I put the motor,carb and exhaust back on. I still have a few things to tidy up and I have a few parts coming in the mail.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Looking great, and cheap! *in a good way!

Is that a street rear and a dirt front on there, didn't they have the same style tyre for both F&R sizes?

What do you have in mind for a muffler and can you show a picture of what you plan on doing for the tail-section/seat?

Stunna

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stunna, No mufflers!...but that might change. I have yet to fire it up. I just bought my seat today. I decided to go with a cafe style seat. Its just the pan so I'm looking for some 3/4 or 1" back foam for padding...like the HRC seats on the RC

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I tried that on my 89 yamaha radian and it sounded like hell on earth and ran even worse! I think the mufflers from a ducati sport classic 1000 might be a close fit on the size/style and you can find them super cheap on ebay.
Stunna, No mufflers!...but that might change. I have yet to fire it up.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried that on my 89 yamaha radian
I had one of those! My first road bike, just never put it on the road. I did a couple hot laps around my back yard with it. I was only like 16 at the time too. I trade it for 2 86 CR125's.

I fired this b*itch up today! I'm a little relieved to know that it does run....sort of. It needs some carb work. I think my float is sticking. It will only run with the choke closed. I also need a soleniod, you can see me doing the ol screwdriver trick.

YouTube - Video from My Phone

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Awesome, it was my first road bike as well! Actually got the bike from my Dad at 16 before I ever got my own car, but I was the first kid in highschool to have a motorcycle. lol

Too bad you traded it in, it really was a sleeper with years of fun in them when properly cared for. Excellent learners bike for anyone looking to get into the sport.

I had one of those! My first road bike, just never put it on the road. I did a couple hot laps around my back yard with it. I was only like 16 at the time too. I trade it for 2 86 CR125's.

I fired this b*itch up today! I'm a little relieved to know that it does run....sort of. It needs some carb work. I think my float is sticking. It will only run with the choke closed. I also need a soleniod, you can see me doing the ol screwdriver trick.

YouTube - Video from My Phone

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finished...almost

This project is pretty much a wrap!

I still have a few small things to do like rear signals, still need to find some black seat padding/foam, and wire up the battery.

The carb is alot better, My jets where plugged and the float was sticking alittle. Once I get to riding it that should get the rest of the bugs worked out. It just hasn't been started or rode in 15 years! LOL

I'm not sure I really dig the tail though. It's staying on but I just don't think its what I had in mind. I tried raising the tank at the rear mount about 2". It did help it with the "cafe" sytle but it made the tail show more of the "sub frame". It is do-able and its going to take some fabrication but its a little more than I want to do right now...next winter! or just sell it and get a CB :D

I'll get some better pics up once I get everything buttoned up

Attachments

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You completely put me to shame. As of the last few years I had one but sold it. I was going to do the exact same thing but decide not too because it just doesn't have the lines of a caferacer. Which I was going for . Yours looks really good actually.

Great job!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks Stripes, At first I was just going to make it a bobber. Remove the shocks and replace with struts but after looking it over I did not want to put that stress on the drop-outs they are only about 1/4" thick. Then I was just going to leave the shocks and get a pan seat with a trailer style fender. I started looking at seats and fenders and cafe racer tails and the cafe tail was the cheaper route.

It was a fun little project, I wanted to take a break from spending money on the RC...HA! That didn't happen at all. I ended funding this project and still managed to buy slip-ons, PC, SS brake lines, and a few other small things for the RC

One more cool feature I added to this bike. I used to race BMX when I was younger and had some pedals laying around. I cut off the pegs leaving me with just the mounts and just enough room where I drilled a 1/2" hole and welded the pedals in place. They still spin freely and clear brake and shift levers

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts