Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://motomatters.com/news/2010/08...tm_campaign=Feed:+MotoGPMatters+(MotoMatters)

If the point of the 2012 regulations was to see more manufacturers return to the MotoGP grid, the move is already looking like a success. Both BMW and Aprilia are linked to moves back to MotoGP - though mainly through privateer CRT team efforts, rather than as factory prototypes- and now, another manufacturer looks set to join the fold. For the German-language magazine Speedweek is reporting that the legendary English manufacturer Norton is set to enter a two-man team for 2012.

According to the veteran German journalist Gunther Wiesinger, Norton has asked Dorna for two places on the 2012 grid, and Norton boss Stuart Garner has a signed agreement with Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta to race when the MotoGP class returns to 1000cc. The MotoGP effort is part of a long-term marketing plan by Norton to change their image from classic motorcycles to modern sportsbike manufacturer, with plans to introduce a range of high-tech road bikes in the future. The Norton website confirms this intention, stating: "Future development will also lead to the introduction of the all new modern motorcycles and will represent the ultimate expression of the Norton brand."

A return to premier class motorcycle racing is a logical step for Norton. The marque has one of the very longest traditions in motorcycle racing, starting from their domination of what was then called the Continental Circus in the 1930s, to being the mainstay of racing privateers with the single-cylinder Manx Norton from 1950 onwards, including a world championship with Geoff Duke in 1950. The Norton got the careers of many of the early greats off to a start, including Duke, Mike Hailwood, Jim Redman and Derek Minter. So enduring was the bike that it was still scoring world championship points as late as 1970.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Believe it when I see it.

Norton Nemesis soured me on any optimism.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
DORNA is literally desperate to fill a grid which is emptying faster than they'd like (Suzuki may field a single bike in 2011, though it will probably be offset by a new single bike Ducati privateer team) so they'll give all sorts of silly rumors more attention than they'd deserve.
How is Norton going to compete? With a privateer Desmosedici? With a Honda engine strapped in a Spondon frame? Or are they going over to Harris and buy that R1-engined bike that was banned in 2002?
More importantly where will they get the munnies? Norton is still a very small company and MotoGP, for all the attempts at reducing costs, will still be the premier series in all senses.
Just look at Triumph: first they built a solid company and THEN went racing, starting from a series (Super Sport at national level) which has relatively low costs involved.
But, hey, there's always room for a two wheeled Andrea Moda on the grid... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
as awesome as the idea is, and as awesome as it will be to see them on the grid one day.... they dont stand a chance and they have to know that, so why? why not BSB or even WSBK first ...which isn't any less ambitious in the grand scheme.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Fvck MGP , gimme one of their 230 HP , 250 pound , "500cc":rolleyes: rotaries for the street !:notworthy

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Oh yeah Doug , the Herc is definitely an interesting piece of history , not as refined as the Suzuki RE5 of the same era , but as you know the Norton rotary is a whole new ball game and universe !

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Homologation issues?:confused: No one would buy the 450 or whatever bikes they needed to sell in order to get it homologated.
exactly

"......which isn't any less ambitious in the grand scheme."

but at least thats a lot less of a challenge than trying to do ANYTHING on MotoGP. They stand a much better chance of making and selling 450 Norton race replicas than making anything less than a speedbump on a MotGp grid.

BTW this coming from a huge Norton fan, vie owned more than my share of them in the past and im currently hunting down one that seller refuses top part with, so im not ragging on Norton for any other reason than a reality check

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
exactly

"......which isn't any less ambitious in the grand scheme."

but at least thats a lot less of a challenge than trying to do ANYTHING on MotoGP. They stand a much better chance of making and selling 450 Norton race replicas than making anything less than a speedbump on a MotGp grid.

BTW this coming from a huge Norton fan, vie owned more than my share of them in the past and im currently hunting down one that seller refuses top part with, so im not ragging on Norton for any other reason than a reality check
How do you explain Suzuki being in MotoGP then? Every damn weekend is a reality check yet the rigs keep showing up to the next round!:woot:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
How do you explain Suzuki being in MotoGP then? Every damn weekend is a reality check yet the rigs keep showing up to the next round!:woot:
true, which is one of my basis for why Norton should not even try......look at Suzuki in WSBK, big difference.
Obviously Norton doesn't have the capacity to make a street going, WSBK legal bike, as easy as Suzuki does..... but you get my point, i think.

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
I fell in love with Felix Wankel's Rotary back in 63... but will a 2 chamber rotary
be under the rules as a 2 cylinder or a 6 cylinder???

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
for some reason i have it my head that rotary engines were illegal period, but obviously i might have that all wrong

1 - 20 of 25 Posts