Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your input please.

I am looking at purchasing land ( with or without a cabin on it ) in NC strictly for riding trip purposes.
Im looking for an area with great riding but I dont know SHIAT about NC besides going to Deals Gap and the surrounding areas and some of I40.

So where are the good areas / towns in NC for riding?

Thanks in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: North Carolina Riders HELP (999Duc)

Anything around Ashville or Boone, NC is good.

But quite frankly, nothing will ever compare to Dragon's Tail area.

If you dont mind going into VA, Roanoke area is gorgeous.

Don't know much about Tennessee side, but it has to be awesome :)

If i had my pick, i'd get something somewhere between Boone and Asheville along Blue Ridge parkway. That way both Deal's Gap and Roanoke are within a few hours of riding.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: North Carolina Riders HELP (jbraslins)

wow 57 views and only 1 reply , alot of helpfull people in NC

jbraslins ,
Thanks for replying , I appreciate the input.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Gastonia.

Naw, I'm kidding. The Boone area is great for riding, neat little town too. You can get a bargain in SW Virginia along the parkway. Roanoke is a great town too, thats where I grew up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: North Carolina Riders HELP (BLZ2DWL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLZ2DWL »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gastonia.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Gas House
That is the funniest thing I have heard in a while.

Duc you haven't gotten many replies because it is really hard to tell you a places to look for based on your generic 'where riding is good statement.' There is great riding everywhere in the mountains. I haven't been to the dragon yet, but I lived in Cullowhee(in that area) for four years and there are roads that are probably just as good, if not better (with less traffic/cops). I have family in Hickory and Lenior (near Boone in northern mountains of NC) and there is the same riding there too, just less floridiots.

Its much easier to tell you places not to look at:

In the Southern Mountains stay away from Cashiers, Franklin, Highlands area in Jackson County as it is way to overpriced for what it is. All of the Georgians and Floridiots meet there to play golf and pay out the ass for land. There are some great roads around that area and its really close to the dragon, but you have to deal with the Floridiots on the roads (most of them are old too). Pretty much any where else in southern NC would be farely cheap and some of the best riding in the country, not even counting the dragon.

Something to remember about this area is that Transylvania County gets 67 to 80 inches of rain a year and the surrounding counties receive close to that much rainfall amounts (Jackson county 48 to 64). As a comparision the Amazon Rainforest receives 50 to 120 inches of rain a year on average.
I went to Western Carolina University, located in Jackson County, which some people called Wet and Cold University. But it really wasn't that bad when I was up there b/w 1998 and 2002. You can get some awesome land deals around the Cullowhee, Webster, Sylvia, Dillsboro area and theres a Walmart
It is also pretty close to the dragon.

In the northern mountains there really isn't many places to stay away from that I can remember. With the exception of Blowing Rock and maybe Boone, b/c its in the same situation as Cashiers with land prices way to high. If you are into skiing/snowboarding you might want to look around banner elk and the surrounding areas since the snow is much better up there then down in southern NC. If you don't like snowsports then you still might be able to rent the cabin during the winter months and if you are into snowsports then you could get year round use out of your property

Really it doesn't matter where you get a place, as long as its in the mountains you can't go wrong. Great riding is all around, but so are bad roads so you might want to look in some of the counties that have a decent amount of revenue (Jackson) or larger populations, but stay away from the cities (Cashiers) in those counties where all that revenue comes from. Unless of course you have a small fortune to blow on a second or third house. And if you have that much money you would probably fit right in with the cashiers crowd.

Hope that helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: North Carolina Riders HELP (jager)

Jager,
One of my wiemaraners names is Jagermeister , your avatar is on his old cage
( they both graduated from cages , now they rule my house ) .

Thanks for the detailed reply , very cool.
It would be a second home / retreat for riding and not much else.
I have ridden the Dragon ( Deals Gap 129 ), but now it's officially squidville so it's not on my list anymore.

I am heading up to Charlotte friday morning for a service on my 999 and then making it a riding trip to the mountains with some friends on saturday,hopefully it will give me some ideas.

Thanks again , I will print out your reply as a reference guide for when I hit the MLS again

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I'm in Lenoir... just south of Boone (30 minutes) and North of Hickory (20 Minutes) Great small town close to GREAT riding. Moved here from Fla. Love it here! Anyone in my area? Looking to get together a weekly ride/club.

Let me know!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (jbraslins)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbraslins »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">999Duc:

What do you think of the Charlotte Ducati dealer when it comes to service?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

WOW.

Since I was going to be in Charlotte anyway , I had them do my 600 mile service , ride height setup , 14t countershaft sprocket install.

I cannot say enough about the staff there I was very impressed.

We had a great ride up to Blowing Rock , looking foward to heading back there soon.

Check out http://www.carolinariders.com for a good group of riders , thats who I rode with Saturday , great experience.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (999Duc)

I have a beautiful Mountian house in NE North Carolina just off the Blue Ridge PKWY. Laurel Springs, NC to be exact near Doughton State Park and Stone Mountain State Park. Much more isolated but still a beautiful area with lot's of nice roads. Key thing is you have nowhere near the riff raff and congestion of the Ashville/Blowing Rock areas.
I'm still in Japan now but will return on the 16th of June. Planning on a week long trip late June or just after July 4 weekend if you're interested in seeing some of the area.

Jeff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Late reply, but a reply.......my vote for Tellico Plains, Tn. or Maryville, Tn. Tellico Plains seems like a great small town with close enough access to some larger towns. Pretty much every road going out of town is a good one and takes you to more good roads. Tn. has no state income tax either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (jhiestand)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jhiestand »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I have a beautiful Mountian house in NE North Carolina just off the Blue Ridge PKWY. Laurel Springs, NC to be exact near Doughton State Park and Stone Mountain State Park. Much more isolated but still a beautiful area with lot's of nice roads. Key thing is you have nowhere near the riff raff and congestion of the Ashville/Blowing Rock areas.
I'm still in Japan now but will return on the 16th of June. Planning on a week long trip late June or just after July 4 weekend if you're interested in seeing some of the area.

Jeff </TD></TR></TABLE>

Jeff,
Thanks for replying , you are in Iwakuni now right? I think I spoke with you before , I was stationed in Iwakuni also and I raced the Japanese mtocross circuit for a year over there ..... you lived across the street from my buddy Jody in base housing.
If thats not you , then I am wayyyyyyyy off and I appologize

Anyway , let me know when you get back in the area and we can do a mountain trip,that area sounds perfect for what I want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts