Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went for a ride yesterday and when I got home I let the bike sit in the driveway for a few minutes before putting it in the garage. Before I pulled it in I noticed a pretty nice sized puddle of coolant underneath it. Long story short it looks like my left radiator has a leak. I pulled the fairings drained the system and pulled the radiator and it looks like there may be some slight damage where the mounting tab has pushed up into the radiator. So does anyone have any good recommendations where I can get it repaired? I'm in the Sacramento area or if I need to ship it out to have it done right I will do that also.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Yellow pages brother, should be plenty of places that can "Check & Fix" a rad.!

You sure it wasn't the over flow tank? Wind blowing shite all around can make it look like it's leaking anywhere...? ;)

Peace Jeff

·
:rolleyes
305 Posts
So I went for a ride yesterday and when I got home I let the bike sit in the driveway for a few minutes before putting it in the garage. Before I pulled it in I noticed a pretty nice sized puddle of coolant underneath it. Long story short it looks like my left radiator has a leak. I pulled the fairings drained the system and pulled the radiator and it looks like there may be some slight damage where the mounting tab has pushed up into the radiator. So does anyone have any good recommendations where I can get it repaired? I'm in the Sacramento area or if I need to ship it out to have it done right I will do that also.
We used a little shop in Lodi for a repair once, a long time ago. They were very reasonable. However, if I were you I'd just buy the spare left radiator I have for sale ;).

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
There is a local guy in Indy.....his sign says....Whitey's Raditor Repair....A Great Place to Take a Leak !!! :rockon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure it's the radiator, tonight I put it in a bucket, put my thumb over the outlet and blew into the inlet and air shot out the side of the radiator under water.

Yeah i went on a short ride only an hour for the whole trip, much shorter than normal. I'm glad I didn't get stranded somewhere or go down because of it.

I'm going to do a little calling around tomorrow. If I can't find anyone local I'll probably send it to these guys, anybody use them before?

Mylers Aluminum Radiator Repair

·
Registered
129 Posts
If it is on the tank and not the cores a good welding shop can fix it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We used a little shop in Lodi for a repair once, a long time ago. They were very reasonable. However, if I were you I'd just buy the spare left radiator I have for sale ;).
What do you have and how much? I have an SP-1 I see you are parting out an SP-2 are they the same?

The fix didn't work, it's the lowest tube right above the lower radiator mount. The guy at the radiator shop lied to me, he told me he tested it, I took him at his word, got home and just simply blew into it while plugging the other side with my thumb and you could hear the air coming out of it. I put it under water again just to be sure and it's not much better now than when I took it to the guy. Needless to say he'll be getting a phone call from me first thing in the morning. Unfortunately he's 45 minutes away me so it's going to cost me a lot of time and gas to take it back to him.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
What do you have and how much? I have an SP-1 I see you are parting out an SP-2 are they the same?

The fix didn't work, it's the lowest tube right above the lower radiator mount. The guy at the radiator shop lied to me, he told me he tested it, I took him at his word, got home and just simply blew into it while plugging the other side with my thumb and you could hear the air coming out of it. I put it under water again just to be sure and it's not much better now than when I took it to the guy. Needless to say he'll be getting a phone call from me first thing in the morning. Unfortunately he's 45 minutes away me so it's going to cost me a lot of time and gas to take it back to him.
Take a few bricks with you to throw through his window if he gives you any shit. That would make it well worth the drive.

·
:rolleyes
305 Posts

It's an SP2 rad. They're not the same, but it can be made to work with a little elbow grease, fan removal, etc. There are a few threads on here right now about the conversion. Seriously though, any rad shop worth its salt should be able to fix a pinhole leak. If you make the drive to Lodi I can recommend a shop. However, you're already factoring time and money. Did you try calling a bike shop? I know back in the day the service manager at PCP, Chuck, was very knowledgeable and friendly. I would doubt he's still there, but it may be worth a call. They probably source out radiator repairs in the area and would know who to take it to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts