Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't harass me too much for this one, but....

Got my chip in and I don't know where it goes

The bike is a 2001 748. Whats the proper procedure for installing these "chips"? Battery unhooked?
To be honest, I've never had a reason to change the chip until now. So, I've never payed attention. Sorry for the stupid question

Bash away....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Noobie question that I'm almost afraid to ask..... (n737nc)

Computers that require chips are located under the tail section. There should be a circular rubber bung on the top and may be hidden by a sticker. Remove the bung and you'll see the chip. Disconnect the battery before you do anything. Remove the chip (using a chip removal tool that can be found at Radio Shack if you don't already have one) noting it's orientation as there should be a notch at one end for refrence. Replace the chip being sure that the orientation is correct and all of the pins are in their proper place. Put the bung back in tape it over and you're good.

Modified by Capt. Home Slice at 6:55 AM 8/13/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Bike off, under the seat in the ECU. There will be tape sealing the ECU. Remove the tape and take out the bolts. Be very carefull taking out the EPROM chip and make sure you install the new chip the same way. What kind of chip is it? Are you replacing the stock chip in conjunction with a new exhaust? If not, there is really no reason to put in a aftermarket chip.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Here's something that I learned when I put mine in on the same bike.

The removal tool mentioned above will come in handy. That chip is seated in there pretty firm, and you kind of pry it out with the special tool.

Inserting the new chip can be a bit of a challenge. On my new chip the two rows of pins didn't exactly line up with the female hole's in the 'motherboard'.

There is a insertion tool that you can also get from Radio Shack that basically squeezes all the pins together at the same time, so that they will properly line up to make insertion much easier.

The better the insertion goes, the more pleasurable the experience will be for you and your ECU.

(One more thing. Don't use some no-name aftermarket chip! I had real problems with the chip I got from Motowheels when I bought my Termis. Freakin thing had me on the side of the road two hours from home after the bike simply turned itself off. Replaced it with a FIM and no trouble since.)

Modified by JamesP at 5:53 PM 8/13/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, It's easy to end up with most of the pins bent and the rest stuck in your finger :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (NC Rick)

I like to put some silicon sealer around the eprom once it is in place so there is no chance of dislodging. Think of it as safety wiring it...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i don't know if this is true first hand but i also remember hearing that you need to be careful with static discharge as it can screw up the chip...so ground yourself before removing or installing the chip by grabbing ahold of the frame or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts