Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at possibly purchasing a 996 Superbike, MY1999. The seller claims he upgraded the 5 spoke, flat black rims on the bike to Marchesini. The only identification I could find on the rims is a decal, black background, and "Marchesini" in white text on the outer edge of the rim approximately 3-4 inches long.

Is there an easy way to tell if these rims are the real thing?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Noob question: Marchesini: genuine or imitation? (redmhducati)

There are no fake Marchesini wheels out there that I've seen in the past ten years. There has been a little confusion as to whether or not a Marchesini was aluminum or magnesium, but never who made the wheel. They all have their own look Marchesini, Marvic, PVM, or others.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Noob question: Marchesini: genuine or imitation? (Phil 998)

The magnesium will have a cross weave or X,s on the inside of the spokes

I also heard somewhere that brembo made the aluminum stock 5 spokes that were designed by marchesini...that could be b.s. seeing that they still carry the march. decal.

but you cant really go wrong if they were made by brembo or marchesini

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
brembo own marchesini. the 5 spoke marchesini aluminium wheels fitted as std to the later models all have the brembo symbol cast into them.

the aftermarket supplied ones (that i have) don't have the size and standard approval markings the oem wheels have, either mag or al.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Noob question: Marchesini: genuine or imitation? (brettmess24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brettmess24 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The magnesium will have a cross weave or X,s on the inside of the spokes

I also heard somewhere that brembo made the aluminum stock 5 spokes that were designed by marchesini...that could be b.s. seeing that they still carry the march. decal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The early magnesium five spokes had strengthening web inside the spokes, the later ones didn't.

Brembo is on the casting of the OEM five spoke aluminum wheels.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Noob question: Marchesini: genuine or imitation? (Phil 998)

The AL wheels also have a contour along the length of each spoke whereas the Mag wheels do not. I believe this has always been the case so age shouldn't matter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts