Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at an auto dealership that has just started filling tires with nitrogen. This service costs around $25 and includes removing "normal" air and replacing it with ~98% nitrogen. The theory is that the tire will ride smoother and maintain its pressure longer.:confused:

Please help me with facts, experiences, or your opinions :twocents on this process as I feel like I've just become a SNAKE OIL peddler. ............Mike

·
Anger managment patient
3,474 Posts
Not sure if it will do the average joe any good but, nitrogen is not affected by temperature in the same way as air. NASCAR teams even use it in their tires.Air expands more as is gets hot. Nitrogen is more stable =cooler and expands slower under heat. Note the atmoshere (air) contains 78% nitrogen.

·
Registered
130 Posts
there is evidence that it could provide benefits for large fleets of trucks and the like, but is generally considered cost prohibitive to be used in privately owned vehicles. nitrogen filled tires provide no cost or performance benefit for the average driver so long as proper pressures are maintained with shop air.

for aircraft, which have used it for decades, nitrogen is used because it isn't flammable in the event a retracted landing gear catches fire as a result of a blown tire, hot brake, or ruptured fluid line in the gear well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm an aircraft mechanic, and I've worked on F/A-18's, Airbus A320's, and now helicopters. The main reason aircraft use it is because N2 doesn't expand as much as air. The pressure stays more consistant when temps vary from air tempature all the way to 200 degrees on some aircraft when their brakes overheat. And yes air will cause a bigger fire, and N2 doesn't have moisture which can cause a wheel to rust. You don't want a 2 piece wheel to come apart with 250 psi in it.

So if you race, use N2. You don't...save your money.

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
Atmosphere is 78% nitrogen therefore the difference in actual weight is unmeasurable in volumes and pressures associated with tires.

Race teams use it as it is easier to maintain consistent pressure due to the lack of expansion that Oxygen generates as its temperatures elevate. With 20% O2/80% N2 in a vessel such as a tire the volume will increase by as much as 5 percent per 100 degrees of temperature change. So a 30 psi cold tire will be around 35 at 210 degrees. Pure Nitrogen filled tires will increase at 2% per 100

·
Registered
837 Posts
sp2pilot said:
Atmosphere is 78% nitrogen therefore the difference in actual weight is unmeasurable in volumes and pressures associated with tires.

Race teams use it as it is easier to maintain consistent pressure due to the lack of expansion that Oxygen generates as its temperatures elevate. With 20% O2/80% N2 in a vessel such as a tire the volume will increase by as much as 5 percent per 100 degrees of temperature change. So a 30 psi cold tire will be around 35 at 210 degrees. Pure Nitrogen filled tires will increase at 2% per 100
WOW...:woot: When I grow up I want to be as smart as you Buffalo Bob...:notworthy

:D

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
Start2Fab said:
This is a wise response. He is easily offended when you call his googled copy-and-paste posts into question :D
Care to prove that Phillip.

Care to find this information on any google-generated search that paraphrases my post by even 3 words in a row

You know Phillip it is so sad that any thing I post threatens you so much that you must try to get a rise out of me.

You are truly a moron. Your entire life is nothing more then a spec on the list of missed opportunities of abortion and abstinence.

Good luck with the rest of your un-employed foodstamp supported life.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
80 Posts
sp2pilot said:
Care to prove that Phillip.

Care to find this information on any google-generated search that paraphrases my post by even 3 words in a row

You know Phillip it is so sad that any thing I post threatens you so much that you must try to get a rise out of me.

You are truly a moron. Your entire life is nothing more then a spec on the list of missed opportunities of abortion and abstinence.

Nice to see he's in a good mood though.LOL.

·
Registered
168 Posts
sp2pilot said:

:woot: :woot:

·
Killa Bee
70 Posts
The reason nitrogen is used has to do with Press and Temp and the physical properties of N. Air has water vapor and a mixture of other gaes all expanding and contracting under atmospheric press and temp. Oxygen burns in low heat, vry volatile, very electronegative and radically attacks other compounds, including rubber. Nitrogen does not 'readily combust' under STP. It also does not readily bond in a 'dry' enviroment. Nitrogen resists bonding gorces of other compounds. In short, it maintains pressure and and temp. However, its weigth is not neglible b/c it weighs almost the same as Carbon & Oxygen per mole. But as a gas, it is considerably less dense and will therefore 'weigh' less.

Hope this short answer satisfies you. And yes I am study Chem. Engineering.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The answer to the original question is yes, this is snake oil. But this is probably a lot better snake oil than a lot of other snake oil like "Paint sealant" or "Rustproofing" or "Fuel line magnets" or my favorite the "Turbo-twist" or whatever it is they call those contraptions that you stick in the intake tract that supposedly spin the air and cure the common cold and generate 40% more hp while saving the snail darters and preserving matress tags for our posterity. Why don't you suggest that your dealership offer an "air flush" so your customers can get the benefit of having truly fresh air in their tires? "Winter air" versus "Summer air"? Air today gone tomorrow, I say.

·
Registered
130 Posts
sp2pilot said:
I have a huge stick up my ass... I wish someone would come shove it in further
All this knowledge, and creative insults, from a man who thinks a hacksaw is the only way to cut metal :wacky

Robert... since we're useing first names here (I'm glad to hear you're asking about me ;) ) calm down a little or you'll have a heart attack you old fart :mad:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As always I appreciate all your responses to my question, but I feel Oljackboy hit the nail on the head. :clapper Dammit! I peddle snake oil :banghead

I questioned my own superiors about this practice and was informed that this service would benefit customers who do not routinely maintain their vehicles. To me these same people would not spend the $25 and could care less about underinflated tires.

The opinion of this board seems to be it's not really beneficial to passenger vehicles. I value this stance as it comes from people (motorcyclists) who I am sure are more strict with proper maintenance and the improved performance associated with it..............Thanks......Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.