Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what size those 4 small button head screws are, that are holding down the retaining ring on the Nichols clutch basket? I rounded out 2 of them while taking apart my clutch .:clapper guess I might have to wait til the next work week to get them from Nichols, if I run out of options this weekend.
Thanks Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
cmcduc said:
Anyone know what size those 4 small button head screws are, that are holding down the retaining ring on the Nichols clutch basket? I rounded out 2 of them while taking apart my clutch .:clapper guess I might have to wait til the next work week to get them from Nichols, if I run out of options this weekend.
Thanks Craig
Call them tomorrow... They are open from 9AM to 1PM PST.

408-945-0911
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
900CR said:
How'd it go?
Hey 900cr, Cruzzed over the hills,to Nichols shop and as always they were very helpful! and just gave me the screws, since they are pretty much one use screws! Hey! Thanks for the heads up that they were open.It save me a couple of days of sourcing/ordering some up! Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
hey

i had to slot mine with a dremmel to use screw driver. if i remember the they are m3. i went to lowes and bought flat head screws to replace them. it sucks with those you have to thread lock them to keep them in and then they are so soft and small that the hex just strips.:mad: enjoy :rockon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
gixracer said:
hey

i had to slot mine with a dremmel to use screw driver. if i remember the they are m3. i went to lowes and bought flat head screws to replace them. it sucks with those you have to thread lock them to keep them in and then they are so soft and small that the hex just strips.:mad: enjoy :rockon
Just grind the heads off and replace. Takes about 3 seconds. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
900CR said:
Just grind the heads off and replace. Takes about 3 seconds. :D
after you did that how did you get the leftover nubs out :woot: without f###ing up the basket remember you ground them out cause the heads stripped cause they were tight:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
gixracer said:
after you did that how did you get the leftover nubs out :woot: without f###ing up the basket remember you ground them out cause the heads stripped cause they were tight:confused:
Pliers... remember, the basket ring leaves plenty of meat for you to get either a set of pliers on or little vice-grips if you don't have strong hands. Why would it f-up the basket? The slotting method takes way too long.

It's really not that tough... :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Instead of threadlocker - try some RTV silicone - works just as well and doesn't grip as hard. IIRC, it's what Nichols uses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Applying Loctite 242 and especially 271 on ferous bolt to Al alloy block is a major NO NO. Try Loctite 222, if you want the warm fuzzy that loctite offers.


Or you could just follow Marks advice and use Silicone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RTV silicon is what Nichols recomends,I did that the first time installing my basket,And really only had problems with 2 of 4 of the screws rounding out.On those 2 screws I had no problem grabing them with a small good visegrip to break them loose.I am good to go for another 20 thousand miles! Haa! Craig
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top