Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
lidzduc.blogspot.com
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Been doing some research for my next track lid. Anyone wearing one yet? It's looks pretty good.

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
I won't put anything on my head until I see a video of a dude in a crash like Nakanos (20 secs in) walking away without head injuries. :twocents I know it's been beatin to death.

I do have a question though and this is for everybody. By no means do I mean this to be an attack either. Why is there this trend of people buying different helmets for the track? seems like I see a lot of guys buying cheap lids for track use. I get the saving money part, but you only get one head. I replace my helmet every two to three seasons, and then the new one takes primary duty, street and track with the one I just replaced going to back up status. that way I always have two helmets within their expiration date at the track.

YouTube - Tribute to Shinya Nakano

·
lidzduc.blogspot.com
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I won't put anything on my head until I see a video of a dude in a crash like Nakanos (20 secs in) walking away without head injuries. :twocents I know it's been beatin to death.

I do have a question though and this is for everybody. By no means do I mean this to be an attack either. Why is there this trend of people buying different helmets for the track? seems like I see a lot of guys buying cheap lids for track use. I get the saving money part, but you only get one head. I replace my helmet every two to three seasons, and then the new one takes primary duty, street and track with the one I just replaced going to back up status. that way I always have two helmets within their expiration date at the track.

YouTube - Tribute to Shinya Nakano
Well, if you take the time to read the review of the Nexx above, you'll learn that 1. It's not really a cheap helmet ($4-$600)..some are looking for $100 track helmets. 2. It's really light. You can check the vid on Revzilla and their site. 3. It has many features that others don't like large eye port and good vent, nice liner, etc.
4. It passes the Euro specs but not the Snell...AND....(I'm not even getting into that debate here:wacky )
SO....back to my original question...anyone using one yet.
BTW- the sponsor an American racer---forget his name now....

·
lidzduc.blogspot.com
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah, one more thing.....so, you'll only buy a helmet brand that has a video of a racer surviving a bad crash while wearing their lid??? Kind of limits the possibilties, don't 'ya think?:wtf

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
Arai has magical expanded polystyrene foam - it somehow works better than any other helmet maker's foam. This has been true for decades now. Because Arai made a better helmet in the eighties, their helmets must still be better today - how can you doubt it?

Same thing with Volvos. They made a safer car in the sixties, so obviously their cars are the safest today. Duh. How do you not know this? Once someone has an innovation, they are instantly the best for the next 40 years, no matter what. It's a waste of time to even question it. You can stuff your physics in a sack, mister. Physics and math are no match for brand reputation and loyalty.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Yes- Portuguese manufacturer. NOT demin covered helmet!

Nexx XR1R Helmet - webBikeworld
Oh, yes they do! :D

http://www.nexx-helmets.com/produtos/produtos/scripts/core.htm?p=produtos&f=produtos〈=&familia=4&subfamilia=25

And another thing. I don't know what to say about "these helmets are unsafe" bit. These helmets ain't cheap: full face are over 400 bucks. It's obvious for that money they have to show people a good quality product.
I'll be the first to say that some brands will start falling to pieces in no time, others require new visors every few months or have little ventilation to speak of but from here to speak of an unsafe product...

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
perhaps I should have been a little more clear in sayin that it wasn't an attack of any kind. I did read the link. Arai, in my well researched opinion is still the finest helmet out there. in build quality and safety. that's still my opinion.

the second part of my post was based more on generalities that I see, not the specific 'linked to' helmet. the trend that I see is guys buying cheap helmets just because they are exactly that. not researched in any way. that's not to say some cheap helmets aren't safe or even safer than some high dollar ones. my question was more about why is there a different standard for the street and track? why is their choice in lids different? is it that they are worried about fashion more on the street, or scratching their hot new replica paint scheme on the track? just lookin for some insight, 'cause no BS at my last track day a dude rode in with a nice Shoei, but went on the track with one of those $50 pep boys jobbies.

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
the second part of my post was based more on generalities that I see, not the specific 'linked to' helmet. the trend that I see is guys buying cheap helmets just because they are exactly that. not researched in any way. that's not to say some cheap helmets aren't safe or even safer than some high dollar ones. my question was more about why is there a different standard for the street and track? why is their choice in lids different? is it that they are worried about fashion more on the street, or scratching their hot new replica paint scheme on the track? just lookin for some insight, 'cause no BS at my last track day a dude rode in with a nice Shoei, but went on the track with one of those $50 pep boys jobbies.
I'll try a serious answer. Maybe what you get for your extra $400 is better comfort, less noise, and better airflow - things that are worth the money when you're spending eight hours in the helmet and there's little to no chance of destroying it.

However, when you're spending 20 minutes at a time in the helmet, and there's a 1 in 20 chance you'll bounce your noggin off the pavement, perhaps a less expensive, noisier, stuffier, less pampering helmet is ok.

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
I'll try a serious answer. Maybe what you get for your extra $400 is better comfort, less noise, and better airflow - things that are worth the money when you're spending eight hours in the helmet and there's little to no chance of destroying it.

However, when you're spending 20 minutes at a time in the helmet, and there's a 1 in 20 chance you'll bounce your noggin off the pavement, perhaps a less expensive, noisier, stuffier, less pampering helmet is ok.

it is no different then people on 51's spending $1000 + on sato slip-ons which make the most power down low( and best used on the track) and then you see the owners at the track with $300 slip-ons so they don't mess up their expensive superior slip-ons

1 - 13 of 13 Posts