Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I've been lurking around the forums for a couple of weeks. I recently got my hands on a 2001 RC...well, sort of. Essentially, it's a bike in a box right now, as you can see in the pics. It's a big project for me and my rookie mechanic skills, but this site (and the search function in particular) has already been a big help! Look forward to chatting with you guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoa! Sorry about the size of the pics. I'll have to figure out how to change that setting.

Anyway, the bike is a salvage as a result of hurricane Katrina. With that, the bike obviously had some exposure to salt water, and let's just say that magnesium covers and salt water don't play well together. You can't see it very well in the picture, but the bottom edge of the cover has completely corroded through. When I figure out that whole picture thing, I'll post up some pics of what I found when I pulled the heads off.

Right now, I'm going through all the parts I already have to clean them up and ensure they're in working order. Needless to say, I'm going to be in the market for a lot of parts over the coming months.

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
I hope you got a banging deal on that bin of parts. You can pick up running RC51's for what you will probably have into that one by the time you are done putting her back together.

I love turning wrenches but a basket case like that sucks to start with.

GOOD LUCK!!! you will need it and keep us updated on the progress of the project.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Welcome from South AL:D Much respect if you can bring that back to life.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I'm in Birmingham. Luckily, a friend of mine here has mad mechanical skills and an RC that I get to use as a reference. I'm going to take my time, learn a lot, and look forward to cracking the throttle open for the first time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Given the amount of spare time and spare $ available, I figure this project will take me the better part of a year. So far, I've removed the heads to check on their condition, as well as the condition of the pistons & cylinders. Check out the before and after pics. The cylinders look nice and clean, with no pitting or scratches. As for the pistons, all I did was wipe the gunk (mud/oil mixture) out with a shop towel and spray a little cleaner on it. The heads looked pretty decent as well, but while they were off, I had them lightly polished to clean up the imperfections. I'll post pics of them later.

Wingnutt, I have downloaded the HRC shop manual from the link that is floating around on the forum. That thing has already come in very handy. I'm considering putting a printed copy together in a 3-ring binder...don't want to keep getting my laptop greasy!

Attachments

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
After seeing those pics i would have never thought the pistons would have cleaned up that well!!!

Can't wait to see this thing finished. I am planning a ride down your way to visit a few friends we will have to meet up when i come down for a chat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After seeing those pics i would have never thought the pistons would have cleaned up that well!!!

Can't wait to see this thing finished. I am planning a ride down your way to visit a few friends we will have to meet up when i come down for a chat.
Yeah, definitely let me know when you're headed down this way. We'll hook up and hit some of the twisties in the area. The RC may not be finished yet, but my Speed Triple loves twisty roads too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.