Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.. well i'll just get right down to it i guess.. ive drivin a motorcycle a few times.. and i really loved it.. i see ppl ridin all the time.. and i really want one.. i dont want an expesnive bike.. or a brand new one.. i dont have to much money to spend.. like 5g.. if u need my heighth im 6'2.. dunno if that makes a difference.. i heard that if a bike fits u ur feet hit the ground flat foot.. but!.. anyways.. just wondering what bike that u guys once had/heard of.. thats good.. so please give me ur input on what u guys think. thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: New to this website.. and looking on thoughts on a motorcycle (Polk)

Since you're new to riding, please take the MSF course. It's the best thing you can do.

When choosing a bike, get somethins managable that will be fun to learn on and will not freak you out or spit you off first time you make a mistake, and trust me, you'll make some mistakes.

If i had to recommend a good beginner bike that has some character and is not a total mop - Suzuki SV650 would be my recomendation.

It's still plenty fast, but much more forgiving than any liter bikes and a whole lot more comfortable than 600cc supersport bikes.

Also, SV650 has a 645cc twin engine. Twin engines have much wider power band which translates into more useful and easier to control power. Perfect for someone new to motorcycles. It's not gonna be as painful if you miss a a shift here and there, and the bike will rarely surprise you with a sudden jolt of power which could be difficult to manage if you're new and not expecting it.

You can prolly get a 1...2 year old used SV650 for under 4K.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: New to this website.. and looking on thoughts on a motorcycle (jbraslins)

I'm tall too, so I'd go to a dealer, with zero intention to buy, and look at bikes, sit on them, and pay attention to details of how you fit, how comfortable you are respective of their intent (a sport bike is generally not designed to be a couch, cruisers are comfortable, but slow and heavy), pay attention to design, Italian is better, cost (Japanese is lower), purpose (a GSXR1000 is not a good commuter bike), and character (paint job, designs, fit & finish, ergonomics), and then look for a used version in cycle trader or at that dealer, if they're good people.

Speak with people who ride (like in here), and ask them. The more times they say stuff like "..bro" or "my whip" or "gots to represent", generally do not weigh their opinions heavily in your decision process! I'm not meaning to be racist, as down here, white/black/hispanic will speak like this. Just beware of the fur-covered cementheads with really really wide pants, underwear showing, and only understand two things about a motorcycle: the throttle and the rear brake.

Welcome to insanespeed/speedzilla. We encourage posting photos of your exgirlfriends and drinking beer in the morning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To add to what 999miami said:

Better design (I am sure he means visual) does not mean better reliability or quality.

Despite how much I love my 999, i would never say that it's a better machine than japanese sport bikes. I dont think of it as worse either. They all have their issues.

It's a better looking one, thats for sure :) But thats largerly a matter of personal opinion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I usually have a nice canned answer for this, but I accidentally deleted it. I'll just leave you with a list of Good & Bad beginner bikes. You take it from there.
Oh, take the MSF course (www.msf-usa.org)
And buy a used bike.

Good:
Kawasaki EX250
Kawasaki EX500
Suzuki GS500(F)
Suzuki Bandit 400 (rare)
Yamaha FZR400 (rare)
Ducati M620i

Maybe:
Suzuki Bandit 600
Suzuki SV650
Kawasaki Z750S
Ducati Multistrada 620

BAD, BAD, BAD:
Suzuki GSXR 600/750/1000
Yamaha R1/R6
Kawasaki ZX6R/ZX10R
Honda CBR 600RR/1000RR
Ducati 749/999

There are many other brands with a large number of different styles and models. Look, and absorbe as much as you can. Ask questions. Listen. Ask more questions.
Keep in mind, a good beginner bike can be sold a year or so later for damn near what you paid for it. So you can basically learn to ride for free.

I listed the sportier side of motorcycles, as the majority of people that come here are interested in sport bikes. However, if cruisers are your thing, anything under a 750 should be ok. And if dirtbikes/Motards are your thing, anything (4 stroke) under 600 should be fine.

Anything I missed will be filled in shortly with people who are far more knowledgeable than myself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: New to this website.. and looking on thoughts on a motorcycle (WhiteyFoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteyFoo »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... I'll just leave you with a list of Good & Bad beginner bikes. ...
Oh, take the MSF course (www.msf-usa.org)
And buy a used bike.

Good:
Maybe:
BAD, BAD, BAD:
...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm Banda, and I approve this message.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: New to this website.. and looking on thoughts on a motorcycle (banda)

Since Lobster seems to have vanished off th planet I'll add this. Any Dual Sport. Now let's see those pictures of your ex.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: New to this website.. and looking on thoughts on a motorcycle (MNwilly)

why the muti620 goes to the maybe list and the monster on good list?

Modified by Giannis at 1:52 PM 3/3/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: New to this website.. and looking on thoughts on a motorcycle (Giannis)

Multistrada is too damn tall. If you're new you could have severe balance problems :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: New to this website.. and looking on thoughts on a motorcycle (jbraslins)

the guys who's asking said " if u need my heighth im 6'2" lol the Monster would look like a minibike... the muti if he is going italiano would look perfect..

if i was a newbie in US i would buy this one (especialy with a limited budget) With 5grand you can afrod a good helmet (Arai,Shoei,Suomy) a good jacket with CE protection and good boots/gloves.. plus insurance!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

What? He's 6 foot 2? Stop the presses! Hold the horses!

As we all know, anyone who is six feet or over is completely exempt from the laws of physics. The same for people over 200 pounds.

It is a proven fact that if you are over six feet tall or over 200 pounds, that you need three times as much horesepower to learn how to ride a motorcycle.

A guy who is five feet eleven and 190 pounds can ride any bike in the world, even the smaller capacity machines favored by the so called "experts" who have "taught" people how to ride, or "seen" new riders prang hi-po sport bikes, or "called an ambulance" for the new gixxer owner "lying in a ditch".

But if you're six feet tall or 200 pounds, the only motorcycle that is physically capable of supporting your weight and overcoming your monumental inertia is the latest literbike. Or a Harley.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Did i say buy a liter bike? a 500R is not a hypersport bike and i think he will be more comfortabe on this or a multi620 than a monster...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Giannis »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did i say buy a liter bike?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not picking on you... just observational humor related to how people over six feet or 200 pounds always think they need the biggest motorcycle made.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I'm 6'5" 240 and learned to ride on a Vespa P200E. I took that thing to Willow and learned to drag a knee on it.

Anyone who says that they are too big or heavy to ride a small bike probably shouldn't be riding at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: New to this website.. and looking on thoughts on a motorcycle (Milhouse)

I got a darn STINKIN sweet 2000 SV I'll sell ya. Perfect condition, lots O extras,

and youd have money left over with what you've got to spend. A lot left over.

It's a damn good first or second bike, and it will grow with you as far as you want.

If you get too fast for an SV, you're fast enough for anything. Oh, and it's

bone stock right now. 11,909 miles. Duc I'd tell you what I'm up to if you'd answer

your phone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: New to this website.. and looking on thoughts on a motorcycle (svmango)

Should have told you, I've got a 34" inseam and weigh 195 currently.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I checked your profile. You are 20 years old. You cunt spell or grammatasize worth f#%k.
My two wheel suggestions are as follows;
Schwinn
Cannondale
Specialized
Thomasini
Murray
Huffy
JC Penney
Sears
Radio Flyer
Big Wheel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: New to this website.. and looking on thoughts on a motorcycle (RC BS)

Opps.
Sorry.
My bad.
Radio Flyer made four wheelers.
Big Wheel made three wheelers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is a proven fact that if you are over six feet tall or over 200 pounds, that you need three times as much horesepower to learn how to ride a motorcycle.

A guy who is five feet eleven and 190 pounds can ride any bike in the world, even the smaller capacity machines favored by the so called "experts" who have "taught" people how to ride, or "seen" new riders prang hi-po sport bikes, or "called an ambulance" for the new gixxer owner "lying in a ditch".

But if you're six feet tall or 200 pounds, the only motorcycle that is physically capable of supporting your weight and overcoming your monumental inertia is the latest literbike. Or a Harley.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmm....Funny, my bike looks like a 748 - not a harley. I feel sorry for those little skinny wimpy guys I pass on my little POS when they're on the newest big bore, or Duc big bore.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: New to this website.. and looking on thoughts on a motorcycle (RC BS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC BS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I checked your profile. You are 20 years old. You cunt spell or grammatasize worth f#%k.
My two wheel suggestions are as follows;

Cannondale

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Noooo. Not a Cannondale. They are FAR too powerful for a beginner. Mine was VERY fast and pitched me off many, many times.

oh, you were talking about bicycles......my bad

1 - 20 of 20 Posts