Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i understand the possible reality....and i am now spanked. I have had some help in regards to checks. i'm looking for a stated list for a newly, and with well stats person, to check over what i am lame about.

the bike started and ran at buy....brought from NC to Ohio...driven 25 miles.

made the new Duc guy, after RC51, left key kill battery mistake/ battery killed over a few lock steerin head left events .

new smaller YTZ7S no work / re charged stock no work

all visual connections pulled and re-plugged

Evo side stand....pulled and replugged

HAS , apparently working at the time, temp fan early swithch evo

after visually and mechanically cheching all (i think ) connections....i went for the push start to maybe rule out solenoid, starter etc......sounded maybe..but didn't have additional muscle to help at the time

I have the guy coming to me to check the CHITTT....if he can evaluate....as he is not DUC person......... can i get a map oa procedure for him............he is very done from his last dearership in Kawa, Yami, etc.........and after a number of years doing that ihas chosen to branch into his own realm....great guy..\

but i'm screwed with my 998 buy and willing to help him with somebodies help here i hope.......i'm far from realistic Duc help that is respectected in any way....and he is respected for his past work and for getting solo, and i need him now...just to get this NC HAhooooo titled, by out of state review.

anyone..help .......ohio / mid ohio vintage / superbike...slieep, ride.....general help?

thands

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: new to me 998 02 dead after 25 miles (throttlehead)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

First thing throttle, will it crank over at all?

Does the fuel pump charge the fuel system when you hit the key, little buzzing noise not dissimilar to RC?

If you have crank do you have spark, lets go from there

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: new to me 998 02 dead after 25 miles (Monstaman)

charged up battery/ or new -> turn key -> lights guages, oil and nuetral (used to come up). fuel pump seems to prime (hear the noise and hear fuel trickle). in nuetral, kill switch off -> gets me one click at the solenoid. no turning over.

i tried to bump start bike twice and ended up loosing the nuetral light all together now......as well.

i still need to see if the evo side stand mod can be removed and tried with the stand up

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'm not sure if the 998's had the issue with the rectifier, but thats my guess.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

If your fuel pump is turning on and priming the system, it's not your side stand bypass, or kill switch, or bike not being in neutral. I have a evo side stand bypass on my SS and the bike WILL start in gear if the stand is up. I'd suspect the starter solenoid. Try the old screwdriver trick...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Dude, I'm just up the road, bring it to me next week sometime... shouldn't take too long to figure out.

J.D.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: new to me 998 02 dead after 25 miles (jhord)

John, in fact i do planning on doing business with you and now of your sight and location......through the RC51 stuff and by many nods to you. My current issue is timing and not having a trailer. The title process took much longer than anticipated as the buy was out of NC and on lien. The titles were kept in Cali. they sent it to the original owner who sent it to me with nothing singed out on it...had to return it. now i need my out of state inspection and get the bike anywhere to do so. i have buddy who has gone solo mechanic and is very well trained and certified with different manu's. He is even making house calls ! hope he can help before I kick this 998 over LOL
i do love her

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

John? Who's John?

OK but let me know if you need help. Instead of kicking the bike, kick the starter relay or at least check to make sure the connector is plugged in. If it turns out to be the relay (happens a lot on Ducks) I use a Yamaha relay instead of Ducati, much cheaper.

J.D.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: new to me 998 02 dead after 25 miles (jhord)

bike was finally home doctored and trailered away at 1am...now that is service......i'll make sure to post on results.......guys

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

well here is the get back on the the 24 mile driven 998 since bought.....the starter is FuBar ! i was told the bike was perfecct since new, no issues, started first try on pick up....i drive 24 miles and the starter needs opened to see whats going on.

Not the solenoid, or other parts....its the brushes or coil in the starter or else in there. the bike only has 6000 miles...damn

whats the best place to locate brushes or starter coil cheap or used? and what is time to tear open and fix that issue?

anyone got a starter that works like new ?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Now the bad news, to remove the starter you have to remove the side case which isn't that big of a deal but a bit of a mess between coolant draining and oil.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by throttlehead »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well here is the get back on the the 24 mile driven 998 since bought.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Now this is a serious question. I'm not trying to insult you or be sarcastic. Is English your first language? Are you in a really big hurry? Dyslexic? What causes a sentence (!) like that?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: new to me 998 02 dead after 25 miles (midwestduc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by midwestduc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Now this is a serious question. I'm not trying to insult you or be sarcastic. Is English your first language? Are you in a really big hurry? Dyslexic? What causes a sentence (!) like that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the way they talk in Ohio.

I'm just glad Throttle has gotten it sorted out. I wonder if they can rig up some kind of pull starter on it?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: new to me 998 02 dead after 25 miles (paulo57509)

I don't want to sound like a dick and if that's the way you talk/write everyday more power to you. I'm just curious where it comes from?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by midwestduc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't want to sound like a dick and if that's the way you talk/write everyday more power to you. I'm just curious where it comes from?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ehhh I'm curious to know also.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: new to me 998 02 dead after 25 miles (backlash)

Ebonics
Glad you found the problem! TH.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by midwestduc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't want to sound like a dick and if that's the way you talk/write everyday more power to you. I'm just curious where it comes from?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Me three, but "non penso che vorrei sapere"...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: new to me 998 02 dead after 25 miles (Phil 998)

thanks Phil....i'll make sure and have a knapkin ready

extra starter out there... ? anyone.....?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts