Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new leftover 03 Rc51 yesterday after weeks of debating. I had a yzf600 for a little over 2 years and decided to upgrade a little. So far I love the bike it's actually easier on my back then the straight up and down position of the yzf I don't need to go through all the other things I love about the bike cause you all know them already. I was wondering if anyone has used a less sporty tire on their bike. I'm not a real aggressive rider but I do like to open it up every once and a while. From what I 've seen with the dunlop 208's you get about 2500 miles out of them, I was looking to get a little more so I was checking out the 205's. Has anyone used that tire or anything similiar to a street/touring tire? If so how is the handling and treadlife?

Thanks...
Ryan Brouzakis
2003 RC51
100% Stock

<<< Goodbye sweet thundercat...I'll miss you :`-( >>>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: New Owner! Tire Questions... (bazdrum)

For rear tires, I got 4500 miles from Dunlop 208's that came on the bike. 3000 from Diablos. Right now, I switched to 180/55's and I'm never going back to 190's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got about 3500 miles out of the 208's with some fairly agressive riding. Just mounted some pilot powers which perform really nice, but not sure how long they will last...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

If your not a real aggressive rider the 208s will last you awhile. Mine have ~5000 miles on them but I'll have to change them soon. They are becoming flat in the middle (rear), but still have tread. Gotta love straight line roads everywhere here in the central plains....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just mounted a pair of pirelli diablo strata 180 is the ticket it drops in with ease. I was told the compound was harder in the middle,don't know miles yet but it's a way better set than the 190 m3 stockers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (ebnash)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ebnash »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tai, where are you? I know you have run some sport tourer tires on your RC.</TD></TR></TABLE>

U Rannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng???

Actually I can tell you that I kill SuperSport style tires such as M1s Sportecs, 208s, Pilots, BT012 or is it BT020
, 207RR, and now a set of Maxxi all about 2500-3k miles running 30 to 32 front and 33 to 35 rear combo psi .

And as for sport touring tires? I have used a set of each. Pilot Road, Roadtech, and the BTs with the same result in terms of milage all under 3k.

Grip was good for all sport touring tires, very consistant with good warm up times for the street and didn't loose too much against the supersport tires. These are all street/twisties miles running at a spirited pace.

ST tires are a little cheaper so if you know you are not really aggressive(abrupt throttle response) and have a good head on your shoulder in terms of letting the tires warm up,smooth on the throttle and knowing your limits. ST tires are just fine. I will grab any I see cause I put too many miles on my RC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I can offer a few factual points. My sportec M1's didn't last worth a shit and I did not push them very hard at all. My Diablo Corsas are barely half way done at the same mileage my M1's were almost all the way done. The corsas also offer way more grip.

As for bridgestones, don't waste your time with 020's. They are like bricks. And the 014's are fantastic, but my buddy shredded his in one month 2000 miles. (I ride harder than him and my corsas are about half way done)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts