Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have been a member for a while but this is only my second post. Usually I just search and read. I am picking up my bike in July (a 2000 748 biposto with 1320 miles). I have owned many bikes in the past but this is my first duc. I am looking for input from the experienced duc owners on things to do...or to look out for. The stuff that you wish someone would have told you about ducs that you ended up learning the hard way. I'm looking for stuff like "make sure to check this or tighten that often" Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to riding with everyone on the site (I'm in baltimore) I'm not a brand snob...as long as it has 2 wheels you're cool with me. Thanks in advance.

Kris...aka...Drnknmnky13

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: New Duc owner looking for advice (drnknmnky13)

The best advice for you,

Ask the seller a million questions, on service history, rockers, oil change intervals, svc receipts, who svced the bike.

I wouldnt hesitat to bring the bike to BCM to have them check everything.

Im guessing it needs new belts being that it only has 1320 miles and is a 2000 748.

Ask the owner if he knows about the rockers, condition etc...

Other than that it should be visually mint with 1320 miles.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: New Duc owner looking for advice (Shazaam!)

Thanks Shazaam. That was a great post. Had I found it earlier i wouldn't have had to make this one. BCM is a little far from me (about 500 miles) I'm in Baltimore, MD. I'm researching shops in the baltimore,DC, Northern VA area now. I'll make sure to check the rockers before purchasing and I'll have the belts replaced. Thanks guys.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: New Duc owner looking for advice (drnknmnky13)

Hey Kris...

I live in Alexandria, and you have a few choices on where to go for service. I will make a recommendation based on my experiences with about 4 shops in the relatively local area.

Winchester Motosport, in Clearbrook, VA just off I-81, is owned by a guy named Carl Lucci who lives and breathes Italian bikes. He sells Ducati, Guzzi, Triumph and Victory, and a LOT of quads (makes sense given his location!), and he is quite passionate about bikes. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of all things 2 wheeled, and his technician Rob is first rate.

Just an opinion, and yes, it's a bit of a drive, but worth a look. There may be a good shop in the Baltimore area, but I don't have any first hand experience with them.

Any time you're up for a ride, let me know; there are lots of great roads in northern MD and out into west VA...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clearbrook, Is a little far (290 miles) I was told Motouropa in richmond is a good place. Richmond is a lot closer to me than clearbrook. But honestly I wouldn't have an issue driving that far if I really trusted the mechanic to do a good job. I'm picking the bike up on July 2nd and having the belts and rockers checked ASAP. as soon as that's accomplished I'll be ready for some riding. I'm considering getting some risers and peg relocaters to try and make the bike a little more comfortable on non track days. Any thoughts? I look forward to riding with you...Thanks again,

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (drnknmnky13)

Most vehicles have some niggling problems that need to be ironed out.

Here's an easy one that most of us have forgotten that can cause catastrophic engine damage.

Take the gas tank off and turn it over. The two 6mm bolts with the 8mm heads that hold the front mount pin on can loosen. If one falls out, it can go into the front cyl intake. Instant junk engine.

Loctite the hell out of them with the red loctite. Problem averted.
Yes, replace the belts if not done within the last two years.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: New Duc owner looking for advice (brettmess24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brettmess24 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The best advice for you...............
Im guessing it needs new belts being that it only has 1320 miles and is a 2000 748.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really....that's shocking advice...and I swear I know nothing
that sucks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: New Duc owner looking for advice (throttlehead)

I think Motoeuropa has a pretty good reputation; I have heard good things about them. Can't hurt to give them a call.

And yeah, anytime you wanna ride, let me know!

Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: New Duc owner looking for advice (DesmoBob)

+1 on Motoeuropa in Richmond

Excellent service. Good friendly people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts