Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here I am in the extremely rare position of being able to buy pretty much whatever I want for a new bike and I can't decide what the heck I want. If I didn't have the money I'm sure I could expound on what to buy and why.

I'm an ex-racer, so it will be a sport bike, but I'm gonna ride the crap out of it. I put some miles on my bikes. In some cases, the new technology, while it seems pretty cool, actually limits the real-world usefulness. For example: Underseat exhausts look trick, but is the underseat storage now gone? Plastic airbox covers where the gas tank used to be: Guess a magnetic tankbag is out, and I like magnetic tankbags.

I can't even decide between a 600 or a 1000.

Anybody else in the same boat?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: New bike time, but... (Chuckles)

Sounds like you need to change with the times my friend. IMHO I think a 600 is all that is needed even for street riding, sure the 1000 has the nice low end grunt but the 600's are getting a good midrange alot better than they used to be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: New bike time, but... (sean edgett)

MV Agusta F4 1000

If you can really get whatever you want.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL! Saginaw, within reason! It's gonna be one of the Japanese four. I'll put 50k miles on this thing.

Sean, that may be true. I just spend a lot of time in the saddle and like little things like the abaility to carry a disc lock and cold weather gloves on a long ride. I'm wondering how i'm gonna do that with no undertail storage and a plastic "tank"? Backpack? No thanks.
I think you're right about the 600's being all one really needs for the street...heck, they're still overkill in most situations!

I guess I was just wondering if anybody else is in "New Bike" mode, and what their priorities are.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (Chuckles)

I always lust after the new bikes, but to be honest, I haven't had a that urge to buy a new streetbike since I bought the FZ1. The upright riding position takes a little getting used to, but it is an awesome do-it-all machine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

At your age (I can say that since I'm two years older) I would get a 1000 for sure. Everything comes at a price and while any new 600 can be faster at a track day, the 100+ hp they have is at pretty high rpm. Look at any dyno chart and at 8k rpm most 600s will be at about 50 hp. Do you really want to come out of a corner on the street at 9k rpm+? With a 1000 you can be lots more lazy and not have to wring the thing by the neck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I would say go for the FZ1 or the new speed triple, FZ1's have rock solid engines that will last forever if taken care of and they have long valve adjustment intervals which means more time riding and less time wrenching.

The speed triple definitely looks and sounds cool and should be reliable as well.

I can't decide what I want for a new bike this year either, something that I can ride long distances on is the highest priority. I don't need another sportbike because I'm keeping my R1, so it will be something more comfortable to ride all day.

This is one of the bikes I really like, but for half the price I could get a 650 V Strom or a leftover SV1000, but they will need luggage and some fine tuning for long distance riding where as the Royal Star tour deluxe is ready to go.

I have to make up my mind by June because whatever I get I am riding to the USGP.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Still the best street bike in the world (IMHO).

Want something more sporting, and money is really no object? How about ordering a 200hp Ten Kate CBR-K!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: New bike time, but... (Rocket51)

I saw the new Speedtriple at the D.C. bike show, and at less than 10K MSRP, that is the bike of the year for me. Awesome looks, more hp, proven motor (1050cc triple), better wheels than the previous model.

I can't wait for that bike to hit the streets!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: New bike time, but... (Rocket51)

It's too bad you have to stop for fuel twice as often as most other bikes when riding a superhawk.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: New bike time, but... (Latebraker)

Why not try the R6 or GSX-R 600 both have metal tanks still plus no underseat exhaust. Get them before that all does change.
I have owned both and raced 600's and 1000's and for the street I will not get another 1000 its just too much and if that means having to shift one extra time thats fine. They still go from 60-100 in 2 seconds.
Again my opinion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Sean and Phil, you guys are hitting home with me. Those are my exact thoughts. I'm 43 and have ridden my whole life, pretty much. I raced motocross as a youth and roadraced Hawks, 600's and 750's for ten years untill 2000. I consider myself an expert street rider in that I ride smart and do all the avoidence steps automatically as I ride. Lane positioning, riding the Pace, etc. I can also smoke most of the "kids" in the canyons.

I looked at all four of the new 600's yesterday, and the Honda was the one that really got my blood boiling, but it has the plastic "tank" and high pipes. Figures!

As far as 1000's, I was all set to buy the Honda (same problems...again, figures!), then I really started looking over the R1.

Question: IS there any under seat storage on these bikes with the high pipes? Maybe I do need to change with the times. I think I could still put a mag tankbag on the R1...or could I?

I know these seem like silly things to be worried about, but they're not to me. I want a hard core sportbike, something state of the art, but I want my creature comforts too...I think.

Man, It's HELL to get old!!

BTW, I thank you for your responses...I gots no one to "talk" this over with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Chuckles said:
but I want my creature comforts too...

Man, It's HELL to get old!!
QUOTE]

don't say that too loud... CEH might have a new battery in

his hearing aid...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chuckles »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man, It's HELL to get old!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tell me about it. Have you looked at the ZX10R? Non under seat exhaust (I don't know if there is storage though) and a steel tank. Lots of nice features and this year they have a new color called raw titanium metallic that is pretty cool in person.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: New bike time, but... (Phil 998)

The half of the tank that actually holds gas is steel. And no uner seat storage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sean edgett »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The half of the tank that actually holds gas is steel. And no uner seat storage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sean, are you talking about a ZX6R or a ZX10R?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

OK, wait. I changed my mind. You can fit a loaf of bread under the seat in this! Great big steel tank. And power, tons of power. The wind protection is better than you might think, and a set of bags goes nicely on the side. Did I mention the power?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

New GSXR 1000. Metal tank, tail storage, Side exhaust, Slipper clutch, shorter ratio gear box, gobs of power, and the list goes on and on! Not that you need it, but the new Gixxer also comes with a gear counter built into the Speedo unit...kinda trick! Rest assured there will plenty of aftermarket goodies to personalize it as well.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts