Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this at some other sites, but wanted to share with all the midwesterners here.

I just bought these Excel rims:

For this KTM 550:

The goal is to get her street legal. Let the games begin!

·
Registered
314 Posts
As I recall back in the late eighties during the open class hp war among Honda, Kawasaki and KTM, a geared to the moon stock 500cc KTM two stroke set a land speed record close to 140 mph.

Back then all the 500s spat out around 60 hp and if you breathed on the throttle, rpm would jump 3,000 rpm. I can only guess what riding a 550 would be like. :eek:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric Landstrom said:
I can only guess what riding a 550 would be like. :eek:
It's fun to say the least! It has so much power that I have not found a gear and surface combination where it won't spin the rear. 80 mph on pavement (knobbies, of course), when it comes on the pipe it spins it up. I'm excited to be able to translate that power into motion with some slicks! Here's a few pics of the sick mofo that got me turned on to 550's. He raced these bikes with a KTM 550 transplanted into them. Same engine, different frames. He still has the 2nd bike:

I've ridden the black one, it's a blast! :rockon

·
Registered
71 Posts
if i remember correctly, the first frame was an old steel tz. i know the second is an nsr 250 street bike chassis. i remember it took ray a while to get that bike sorted. enjoy that 2 stroke supermoto. later you'll be able to put those wheels on any other ktm :rockon . after racing 125gp bikes i never thought i'd own a diesel. now i'll never go back. i don't call the 450 "the couch" for nothing. we better see you at springfield. the more the merrier(sp?). tell ray to get out and ride.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to hear from you again Doug! I wasn't sure what the first frame was. He still has the NSR. It has a title too, it's just begging to be plated!

Ray and I are planning to hit the kart track in Springfield when it warms up. Not sure if the 550 will be ready to roll or not by then, so I'll probably be on the 625. I've always ridden 4 strokes, so the 2 stroke is something new and fun. One thing is for sure - I will kill myself on this bike, but I'll die with a smile!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts