Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm finally ready to sell mt 998 bip and upgrade to 848/1198. Has any made this switch and regretted it/never looked back? Here are my concerns:
848:no dry clutch.I know it may sound stupid but is it a great enough bike I'll forget about how much I love the dry clutch?
1198:Quite a power jump from my 998. Is it too much for street/canyon riding(neither purchase is likely to see the track).
What should I watch for be aware of when shopping used??? Thanks for any input on this.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My change wasn't exactly what you are thinking about doing. I went from a 996 to a 1098 and the only time I look back is after I pass my old 996 on the track! I sold it to a friend that I race with and still get to ride it once in a while. The older bike is way heavier. My 1098 with just a Hypertrick ECU and slip-ons made 151 hp and 87 lb/ft at the rear wheel. Hell, the 848 makes more power than my 996 did! Oh and you can get a kit to convert the 848 to a dry clutch.
The only thing of concerned when buying a used 848/1098 would be to make sure the rear sprocket and voltage regulater recalls were done, if you are racing then you should look into 30 mm offset tripleclamps. The 1198 would not have any known issues...yet...
Would I go back?....Nope!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My change wasn't exactly what you are thinking about doing. I went from a 996 to a 1098 and the only time I look back is after I pass my old 996 on the track! I sold it to a friend that I race with and still get to ride it once in a while. The older bike is way heavier. My 1098 with just a Hypertrick ECU and slip-ons made 151 hp and 87 lb/ft at the rear wheel. Hell, the 848 makes more power than my 996 did! Oh and you can get a kit to convert the 848 to a dry clutch.
The only thing of concerned when buying a used 848/1098 would be to make sure the rear sprocket and voltage regulater recalls were done, if you are racing then you should look into 30 mm offset tripleclamps. The 1198 would not have any known issues...yet...
Would I go back?....Nope!
I had no idea you can get a dry clutch kit. Do you by any chance have a link to that? Thanks for your reply-that helps. 998 not too much different than 996.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I dont have the a part number, but I know one of the kits is a Ducati Performance kit. I think the other is motowheels. I don't think you would be dissapointed with the 848 or 1098/1198.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Swap from 996

The one thread of concern I have noticed is the low MPG and small tank on the 1098/848. 30mpg x 3 gallons = 90 miles before you are in trouble on the 1098. My 996 gets 45-50mpg x 4 gallons before I must refill. There is a thread in one of these groups of postings. Also, the 996 just slips in below a 1000cc threshhold some insurance companies have, so insurance will probably be more. Maybe it just depends on how you plan to use it.

·
Can Afford To Be Critical
1,852 Posts
I know it may sound stupid but is it a great enough bike I'll forget about how much I love the dry clutch?
If you love the dry clutch for a performance advantage, great. If you love it because of the sound, you're nuts. :D

Get the new 848. You'll be happy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you love the dry clutch for a performance advantage, great. If you love it because of the sound, you're nuts. :D

Get the new 848. You'll be happy.

um...I'm definitely nuts! Love the sound!!!:rockonBut thanks for the input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts