Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered up some new rivets from Dan Kyle today to replace the loose/missing ones in my Ti Sato exhaust cans. Now I just need a rivet gun. Any suggestions on what and where I should buy?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Need a rivet gun, any suggestions? (Wrist Rocket)

I got one at Home Depot. Not sure it will work w/ those rivets, though. It was only like $10 to $20 for it...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Need a rivet gun, any suggestions? (Wrist Rocket)

If you have an air compressor handy, I'd suggest a pneumatic rivet gun.
Mainly because you should have gotten stainless steel rivets for the cans and a air
rivet gun will make an easier job of it.
If you're just doing alum. rivets, a $10 hand riveter will do the job.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a pneumatic rivet gun from Harbor Freight (on ebay) for the exact same purpose (SS rivets on my Sato cans).

It is nothing special, but it more than does the job required & it was cheap like $20 or something.

You can pop the SS rivets with a manual, but it is a pain in the ass & requires a lot of strength & strange holding of the rivet gun which usually results in a slip here or there & a scratch of the cannisters etc... The pneumatic is just quick & simple, pull the lever & it's done!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (LDH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LDH »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought a pneumatic rivet gun from Harbor Freight (on ebay) for the exact same purpose (SS rivets on my Sato cans).

It is nothing special, but it more than does the job required & it was cheap like $20 or something.

You can pop the SS rivets with a manual, but it is a pain in the ass & requires a lot of strength & strange holding of the rivet gun which usually results in a slip here or there & a scratch of the cannisters etc... The pneumatic is just quick & simple, pull the lever & it's done!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I have a compressor so I'll check out harbor freight. I'm not sure if the rivets i ordered are stainless steel or just aluminum. I know the rivets on the cans now are aluminum. Thanks for the suggestions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (Wrist Rocket)

I just got stainless from Dan I'm shure thats what you'll get. Also I've built a few snowcross chassis from the ground up and air is the only way to go. You may want to tape the cans so they do not get scratched.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Need a rivet gun, any suggestions? (dhdrider)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dhdrider »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got one at Home Depot. Not sure it will work w/ those rivets, though. It was only like $10 to $20 for it...</TD></TR></TABLE>
+1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found an air powered riveter from harbor freight tools & ordered it online this afternoon. Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts