Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my issue:
I have a BST 5.75" rear wheel on my 636, which came with a 5.5" wheel originally. Used Tire # 1 and felt it lacked corner grip/stability compared to the 5.5" wheel (i realize wheel weight is a consideration).

Tire #1 A 180/55/17 should be spread flatter somewhat with this width. i am not wanting to decrease my contact patch while the bike is leaned over, as it felt.

What would say a a 190/50/17 do as i am thinking it would kinda split the difference of the profile to maintain a 55 equivilant, and the width would be more a 185 and i am fine with that.

Any thoughts, help, suggestions??

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have the same rear wheel and have found the 180 to be the best for my bike and the way that I ride.

·
Ride Naked!
503 Posts
Here is my issue:
I have a BST 5.75" rear wheel on my 636, which came with a 5.5" wheel originally. Used Tire # 1 and felt it lacked corner grip/stability compared to the 5.5" wheel (i realize wheel weight is a consideration).

Tire #1 A 180/55/17 should be spread flatter somewhat with this width. i am not wanting to decrease my contact patch while the bike is leaned over, as it felt.

What would say a a 190/50/17 do as i am thinking it would kinda split the difference of the profile to maintain a 55 equivilant, and the width would be more a 185 and i am fine with that.

Any thoughts, help, suggestions??
What do you use the bike for? If its a track bike you would definitely miss the flickibility of the 55 profile. If its a street bike I would say go ahead and try it. I always ran a 190/50 profile on the back of my Z and never had any complaints.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have the same wheel and have tried both 180/55/17 and 190/50/17 on the track with no difference in lap times after setup changes.

The 180/55 gives quicker direction changes but the 190/50 gives more cornering clearance and seemed to give more side grip at full lean angles. Both tires where the same brand and model (Michelin pilot powers)and used on the same track.

With stickier race tires, the 180/55/17 would solve the side grip issue.

You might try a 190/55/17. Also Dunlops seem to be designed for narrower wheels then Michelins.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like i will go for the 190/50 as flickability is not even remotely a concern with my size and the lightness of the bike i want that contact patch for sure.
Thanks for the input

·
Registered
969 Posts
I prefer the 190 over the 180 esp at a track with higher speed turn. Costs more though...

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
This is not a stab at anyone who runs 190/55 on a SS 600 bike, but It would seem to me that a 180/55 is sufficient. The WSBK Supersport bikes run Pirelli 180/55 tires on the fastest 600cc bikes in the world (Sans maybe the Moto2 bikes). Wouldn't the same 180/55 tire be more than enough for us mere mortals? :confused:

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
This is not a stab at anyone who runs 190/55 on a SS 600 bike, but It would seem to me that a 180/55 is sufficient. The WSBK Supersport bikes run Pirelli 180/55 tires on the fastest 600cc bikes in the world (Sans maybe the Moto2 bikes). Wouldn't the same 180/55 tire be more than enough for us mere mortals? :confused:
True, but by FIM rules for the class, they have to run the 5.5 inch OEM rims supplied on the homologated bike and the Pirelli tires that are spec'd by the series - they don't have the opportunity to use an oversize rim or any tire they want like jdgun.

This is just my own personal opinion - with an oversized rim, I would not use the 180/55 on the track because of the risk of flattening the profile of the tire which does 2 things - slows the steering and reduces the contact patch at full lean.

I would use the 180/55 on an oversized rim for drag racing.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yes. I ran the 180 last season to save $$$. No real drama exc for the rear end losing some traction now and then. Bike was easier to turn.

The whole discussion of a pro could do better with less reminds me of a track day with Austin DeHaven on a 125. I thought something was wrong with my bike :)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
True, but by FIM rules for the class, they have to run the 5.5 inch OEM rims supplied on the homologated bike and the Pirelli tires that are spec'd by the series - they don't have the opportunity to use an oversize rim or any tire they want like jdgun.

This is just my own personal opinion - with an oversized rim, I would not use the 180/55 on the track because of the risk of flattening the profile of the tire which does 2 things - slows the steering and reduces the contact patch at full lean.

I would use the 180/55 on an oversized rim for drag racing.
True, but most people I hear of running a 190/55 on a 600 are using OEM rims. I know the thread was about a 5.75 rim. I sort of de-railed it. :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree i am not some Fujiwara level guy, but like most people do know that when the feels a certain way i am not going to push as hard.

We can all bring up the fact on the 600 supersport bike guys are doing this or that with less, but hey they get paid for what they do for a reason.
hell a WSS bike is faster around a track then a modded 1000 superstock bike, think this alone says alot about the ability fo the riders.

But i am pretty sold on the 190/50 with the 5.75 rim, thanks for all the help, as i know most on here have been playing with bikes for a very long time, and most know what they are talking about, which i can't is the case on most forums.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts