Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was hauling butt around some twisties up in the Ozark Mountains a couple weeks ago. I had cruised this route at least 5 or 6 times over the last couple years.

Anyway, I had always heard about how slick that center stripe is, and on this one particular turn, almost 180deg, I entered too fast and went wide. I scooted to the side to hang almost all of my 200 lbs body mass off the seat, to try and stay in my lane, I unintentiallly crossed the line. As I crossed it, the ass end almost got away from me.

I was thinking at 200mph, while the bike was nearing 80mph on a 25mph turn. Didn't want to brake and high side, all I could do at the time was hang my ass off the seat and stay on the throttle. Got my first scrapes on my Daytona boots. Also shit in my pants for first time since I was about 3yrs old. Oooooweee! Scary.
I did have to pull over and take a break after that scare. The guys I was riding with told me they thought they were going to have to call an abulance. When they asked my how I managed to hang on to it, I said cooly, it's a Ducati man!

Then I bowed to the gods
for not putting a truck in the other lane.
This old man is going to slow down a bit. Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you meat heads!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Nearly Bought The Farm (Gilbertl)

Glad that you were ok.

I was too busy pumping it up to go riding last weekend!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gilbertl »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also shit in my pants for first time since I was about 3yrs old. Oooooweee! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wish I could say that...stupid Mexican food. Like my Dad always says, "If it's less then a teaspoon, it's still a fart."

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paint and/or tar strips are the Devil's tools. Proven week after week in professional and club moto racing.

Glad you're OK, and that the lesson was learned without personal harm of real consequence.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (Mark)

Don't forget new, never scrubbed in tires!! I nearly fell claim to my pilot powers the other day, but backed off the throttle enough to stop the slide. After a bit of warm up though....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (Saginaw748)

Good that you got away with full undies only, wee reminders how things can change instantly.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gilbertl »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This old man is going to slow down a bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah.... right....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Nearly Bought The Farm (Mental998)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mental998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah.... right....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Prolly for the first five minutes

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Nearly Bought The Farm (Mental998)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mental998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah.... right....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

To some extent that is too true Mental, too damn true
; eventually I'll get brave again, but I will always be weery of those damn painted stripes and arrows. My pilot powers have about 1200miles on them, so they're good and scrubbed. But that damn double yellow stripe doesn't give a crap.... SO BEWARE.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Nearly Bought The Farm (Capt. Home Slice)

You look great Capt. Home Slice. I lift weights and work the heavy bag several times a week. But it seems to me that all of that additional muscle makes Mags and Carbon Fibre a waist of money.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Nearly Bought The Farm (socal)

Capt Home SLice: I gotta ask. Why are you wearing Under Armor? I see so many posers these days wearing that stuff like it's a t-shirt. It's for wearing under body armor. Get it...under armor. Helps keep the sweat off the armor which degrades it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Nearly Bought The Farm (hbliam)

Whats an "call an abulance"? Glad you survived with only a little meatball in your pasta pants.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Glad you made it out of there, Gilbertl, but I have to ask...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gilbertl »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
...I entered too fast and went wide. I scooted to the side to hang almost all of my 200 lbs body mass off the seat, to try and stay in my lane...

...Didn't want to brake and high side, all I could do at the time was hang my ass off the seat and stay on the throttle....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you saying that you were already at full lean, running wide... and then you slid off the side of the seat into the hang-off position?

Or were you already hanging off as you entered the corner, and went you started running wide you just stuck your knee out further?

I'm 'fused...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Nearly Bought The Farm (socal)

I'll second the kudos on Captain's buff physique. That's a testament to the benefits of a regular workout. I'm motivated again!

Art

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Nearly Bought The Farm (arty)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arty »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll second the kudos on Captain's buff physique.

Art</TD></TR></TABLE>

....that's not Capt!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: (Mark)

Those damned tar snakes are frightening!! Should be outlawed they are so damned scary.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gilbertl »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> When they asked my how I managed to hang on to it, I said cooly, it's a Ducati man!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well That should explain why you could not get it slowed down in the first place

Glad you survived. good job. Now get your ass to a track and learn how fast you can really go through a turn

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Nearly Bought The Farm (sp2pilot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sp2pilot »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Now get your ass to a track and learn how fast you can really go through a turn
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Done deal.....I'd been putting it off because the guys I cruise with are older and ride BMW LT, Goldwings and there's one guy that's got the K1200S, but he's pretty timid. But anyway, there's a track just 45min. from my house....

http://www.hallettracing.net/

I just don't know the ropes about prep'ing the bike, but I'll find out soon enough I guess. Is there anyone here on the forum that rides at hallet????

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gilbertl »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But anyway, there's a track just 45min. from my house....

http://www.hallettracing.net/
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Man I wish I lived 45 minutes from a track. At least you saved yourself, and the bike to get your butt on it at a later date.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts